Nexus 5: Problems & Issues

yancyv8

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Problems and Issues list.

I have AT&T on my N5 in Boca Raton and I have LTE everywhere so data coverage is no issue at all. I have the tiniest bit of lag when swiping left to go to the google now page and in snapchat, idk if anyone here uses that, but I'm in college and I use that multiple times hourly. If I'm snapping people and then I lock my phone and come back on to check another snap, when I go to take a picture, the camera is just straight black like not working. I have to close the app then open it again for the camera to work.

A small issue other than the less than satisfying battery and camera. Other than that, I love this phone to death!

DefinedByClass13

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

I have AT&T on my N5 in Boca Raton and I have LTE everywhere so data coverage is no issue at all. I have the tiniest bit of lag when swiping left to go to the google now page and in snapchat, idk if anyone here uses that, but I'm in college and I use that multiple times hourly. If I'm snapping people and then I lock my phone and come back on to check another snap, when I go to take a picture, the camera is just straight black like not working. I have to close the app then open it again for the camera to work.

A small issue other than the less than satisfying battery and camera. Other than that, I love this phone to death!

That's a snapchat issue. I had that happen on my S3 (and even on an old Epic 4g that I tried it out on.) I don't use snapchat anymore, but if I used it on my Nexus 5, I'm sure that issue would still persist.

- - - Updated - - -

Only thing I've run into is this. Open the camera...take a picture...swipe right to left to get to the gallery...swipe left to right to get back to the camera...and the controls are gone. I get a live screen, but there's no shutter button. If I swipe right to left again to get back to the gallery then swipe back to the camera, the controls are there again.

Not a big issue, but just something I've noticed.

My phone did that as well.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

The only gripe I have with this phone so far, is the headphone jack being on top. It needs to be on bottom!

Posted via Android Central App

nexusbandwagon

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

I did an RMA and that was on Tuesday. My replacement phone says ships in 2-3 weeks and my replacement order is set as pending. I had hoped they had held some back to issue replacement devices quicker than this, but not looking like that is the case.

Yup! I RMA'd today for a 16GB white, and it says it won't ship until Dec 3rd :( Boo! But it will arrive (*fingers crossed*) before I leave for xmas! On the flip side, I found google's customer service to be excellent

mpape12

May 3, 2012
Visit site

I'm having trouble opening my sim card tray. Tried everything I could think of to get it open, the utility that came with the phone, pins, paperclips, tacks, etc.

3-4 weeks for a replacement unit.....that's just great. I was unlocked, rooted, and ready to flash.

Rogue360

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

My N5 died on me this morning. Without warning. Can't turn it on at all, won't charge.

If this happened with my gnex I'd take the battery out, but with it being a sealed unit....

RNMiller

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

The encryption process does not complete. Rather, it appears to not even start. After "Encrypt Phone" is pressed, the thing reboots to the lock screen.

EDIT - Immediately after posting a complaint on the Google Nexus 5 forum...it worked. That's creepy.

Last edited:

Rogue360

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

Carphone Warehouse promptly swapped over my phone. I've got a black one now, I think I liked the white better. But a case is going on it anyway. *IF* I don't sell it first.

If I don't - lets hope this one doesn't die.

vbockius

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

I have problems with the People (Contacts) app, which is more of a Kit Kat thing, but annoying nonetheless. I have the app sync with my Exchange account and It has created a contact for every email address I have used on my computer at work, most of which are not in my contacts. I cannot find a way to only show only my actual contacts. I have around actual 200 contacts and it is showing 865 contacts. If someone has a fix, I would love to know.

Is the lock screen supposed to be able shortcut to apps? It looks like it should, but I cannot find any setting for it. You can move in four directions, but they all just unlock the screen.

Overall, I am underwhelmed with the phone and Kit Kat. The phone is fine and has some good points, it is just not as good as others out there, for my purposes. The price point is a huge plus, but there are a lot of things that other manufacturers offer with their software that are missing from stock android. There are apps to fill many of the gaps, but I feel like I am working too hard to get what LG, HTC, Samsung and others give you out of the box (and work better). I have a hard time convincing myself that I should use it instead of my GS4, G2 or Note III.

I agree, missing HTC Sense more than i thought i would, came from HTC One, missing internet passthrough (no wifi at work) also the way Sense would link contacts from people app, G+ and twitter, I have lots of duplicates now because of G+ contacts, also being able to make any of your screens the "home screen" with kit kat home is always to the left if you have more than 3 with google now on the far left being 4 your home screen isn't in the center now, creates a lot more swiping to get to far right screen, and pinch on the home screen or double tap home doesn't minimize home screens to jump to end quickly.....

Jeffrey Gore

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site

I am having an issue with Google Maps navigation not using voice commands to navigate and it does the same thing with Waze, yet on my Nexus 7 it works just fine wit voice commands, I have checked all the settings and other areas of the phone had sound, the first time it happen though it seems the entire phone was mute and no sounds for anything were working although the volume was up and it was not muted, had to turn off and on and sound returned to everything but the nav.

TheDoctor 46

May 31, 2012
Visit site

Just checked my Navigation and the voice commands are working properly.
I am having an issue with Google Maps navigation not using voice commands to navigate and it does the same thing with Waze, yet on my Nexus 7 it works just fine wit voice commands, I have checked all the settings and other areas of the phone had sound, the first time it happen though it seems the entire phone was mute and no sounds for anything were working although the volume was up and it was not muted, had to turn off and on and sound returned to everything but the nav.

loosecannon6

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Is it just me or is the screen not as bright as the nexus⁴ I'm actually thinking about returning it for another one

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

traumadoc2b

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site

I am migrating from Verizon GNex to Nexus 5 on Consumer Cellular (AT&T).

On my GNex, I had all calls routed through Google Voice, and whenever I made an outgoing call, it displayed my GV number on the other person's caller ID. Unfortunately, now on the Nexus 5, it shows my actual cell phone number. That's a problem - I don't want people to have that number, I want them to see and use my GV number.

nexus89

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site

Its currently downloading all the apps i had on old phone but when i open the play store and click on the icon upper left to see the my apps option its completely blank. I don't see the my apps , wish list, and whatever other icons used to be there

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

The lens of the camera was loose and I spun it around and it just fell off. Not the actual camera, just the black ring that goes around it. Not sure what to do now. Any recommendations? If the phone is fine elsewhere (internally) Id like to keep it. Although, not sure if Id have to glue it back on and/or how. I guess I will start by emailing google.

Petero1818

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

Cannot connect to my exchange server. Phone seems fantastic except utterly useless if it cant connect with exchange for me. Countless others having this issue it seems based on my web search.

TheDroidKid

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

The lens of the camera was loose and I spun it around and it just fell off. Not the actual camera, just the black ring that goes around it. Not sure what to do now. Any recommendations? If the phone is fine elsewhere (internally) Id like to keep it. Although, not sure if Id have to glue it back on and/or how. I guess I will start by emailing google.

Just contact Google they will ship you a replacement device. In the mean time they let you keep that one until your new one arrives. Then you ship the old one back when you get the new one. PM me if you got any questions.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick