Nexus 5: Which wireless charger is the best?

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have been using a Powerbot on my new Nexus 5 for a few days now, bought from Amazon. As a charger, it seems to work very well. It sticks to the desk, it is easy to find the correct spot, the light is informative, the beep is useful (I just which it gave another and different beep when REMOVED from charging state), works right through my case, and it is reasonably priced. Note that the two USB cables that come with it are NOT data compatible and can only be used with charging (stupid).

My only issue is that the charger and the phone get very hot when it is being used. Much hotter than charging with a cable. But the thing that concerns me the most is that it stays hot FOREVER. I can put a phone with 100% charge on the Powerbot and it will get hot (I have two Nexus 5's at the moment, they both act the same). That doesn't make sense to me- if the phone is fully charged, why is there any additional heat? Shouldn't it turn off or turn way, way down? Could it be defective or not working properly with the N5? Does the "Official" Nexus charger act the same way? Also note that neither the Powerbot nor the box it came it nor the manual say anything about "Qi".

Daden04

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I have been using a Powerbot on my new Nexus 5 for a few days now, bought from Amazon. As a charger, it seems to work very well. It sticks to the desk, it is easy to find the correct spot, the light is informative, the beep is useful (I just which it gave another and different beep when REMOVED from charging state), works right through my case, and it is reasonably priced. Note that the two USB cables that come with it are NOT data compatible and can only be used with charging (stupid).

My only issue is that the charger and the phone get very hot when it is being used. Much hotter than charging with a cable. But the thing that concerns me the most is that it stays hot FOREVER. I can put a phone with 100% charge on the Powerbot and it will get hot (I have two Nexus 5's at the moment, they both act the same). That doesn't make sense to me- if the phone is fully charged, why is there any additional heat? Shouldn't it turn off or turn way, way down? Could it be defective or not working properly with the N5? Does the "Official" Nexus charger act the same way? Also note that neither the Powerbot nor the box it came it nor the manual say anything about "Qi".

I've been using mine for about a week now as well. Mine gets warm, but I wouldn't say hot to the point of being worried. I also haven't noticed it staying hot for an extended amount of time, but you aren't the first to say that according to the reviews I read prior to purchasing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

alexzender

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Which wireless charger is the best in the current market?

Hi as i have read your article is good wow! great news but i actually wanna know one more thing ie. i get one wireless charger from Amazon is working well and affordable according to my pocket money for more info. you can check the given link from where i get this dual usb wall charger, Now my question is that as i can see many wireless charger in the market same like this so how can we find the perfect one for Us according to the current market value as there are so many companies in the market. Please help Thanks

alexzender

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Which wireless charger is the best in the current market?

Hi as i have read your article is good wow! great news but i actually wanna know one more thing ie. i get one wireless charger from Amazon is working well and affordable according to my pocket money for more info. you can check the given link from where i get this dual usb wall charger, Now my question is that as i can see many wireless charger in the market same like this so how can we find the perfect one for Us according to the current market value as there are so many companies in the market. Please help Thanks

Mudgene

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Which wireless charger is the best in the current market?

This one from a Newegg partner works great (better than the Google-branded one I got for my wife) and it's currently under twelve bucks, shipped. It does ship from Hong Kong and mine took about 12 days to get here during Christmas rush season.

Newegg.com - Qi Wireless Charger Transmitter Charging Pad/Mat/Plate for Nokia Lumia 920 Nexus 4/5 Patented Heat Dissipation

It doesn't have magnets, but it's the same footprint as the phone, so you can align it by touch in the dark.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

I'm using the Zens single wireless charger and really enjoy it. The convenience of wirelessly charging has been great.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

I love my LuguLake 6000mAh Qi inductive wireless charger that can charge my Nexus 5 and my wife's iPhone at the same time anywhere even without external power.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

The HTC M8 has a metal case that prevents if from having a Qi wireless charging. I'm never going to buy any phone that can't be charged wireless.

" The HTC One M8 has a metallic back and front and the varying electric field generated by the wireless charger will induce currents in several metallic parts, which could lead to light shocks and damage to the internals of your smartphone. This also leads to excessive heating which adversely affects the lithium ion battery. You battery will discharge rather than charging and might as well get damaged. "

Why There is No Wireless Charging on HTC One M8 and How to Add It with a After Market Case.

accactg

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

I have a Nexus 5 and was skeptical of wireless chargers as a result of negative reviews of each product I've looked over previously. I am happy to state I have none of the issues with this specific product. It charges fast (nearly as fast like it absolutely was plugged in), it charges thru my hard case no problem, and it's not picky about placement. Charges my new Nexus 5 pretty well.

410UAxNuZqL._SL1500_.jpg

Check out on Amazon Store by the brand on "CHOETECH"

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't say which is best, because the only one I have used is the official Nexus 5 charger from google. For my needs it works very well no complaints so far.

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't really understand the point of a wireless charger.

1. Significantly less efficient so phone takes longer to charge.
  2. Due to the inefficiency, you really need to buy a 2 amp power supply rather than the stock 1 amp supply.
  3. They heat the phone which is bad for the electronics and battery.
  4. You have to be careful to orientate the phone correctly. Get it a little sloppy and your phone may not charge at all, or very slowly.
  5. The beep annoys your sleeping partner.
  6. You can't use your phone while it is on the charger.
  7. The screen must stay face up so the phone lights up at night on notifications.
  8. More bulk to take when going away.
IMHO, it's a gimmick.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't really understand the point of a wireless charger.
[*]Significantly less efficient so phone takes longer to charge.

Not true. In fact, on the N5, some people report it is *faster* depending on the model and wall wart. There is a limit to how much can be pushed through the tiny, tiny, tiny pins in micro USB connectors. That particular limit disappears with QI charging.

[*]Due to the inefficiency, you really need to buy a 2 amp power supply rather than the stock 1 amp supply.

I use the stock charger and it works just great with the Powerbot- charging at about the same rate as through cable.

[*]They heat the phone which is bad for the electronics and battery.

Heat shouldn't bother the electronics. But it can possibly lower the life of the battery. Although charging through cable also generates heat (and if you are comparing, one has to compare at the same charge rate... like I said before, sometimes it charges FASTER on QI).... and there are no hard/fast data/proof on the effects on the battery.... not that I could find, anyway.

[*]You have to be careful to orientate the phone correctly. Get it a little sloppy and your phone may not charge at all, or very slowly.

I can only speak to the Powerbot. It is extremely rare that a quick slap on it doesn't work perfectly. And with the audible beep, I know if it is not correct.

[*]The beep annoys your sleeping partner.
1) Many of us don't have a "partner"
2) Many of us don't have the charger in the bedroom or near the bed

[*]You can't use your phone while it is on the charger.

I can't use it easily when cabled- since the cable is never long enough. I would rather pick it up, look at a text or whatever, then just slap it back on the QI when done.

[*]The screen must stay face up so the phone lights up at night on notifications.

See above- mine isn't in the bedroom. Plus one little LED doesn't bother me at night (there are already dozens in the bedroom).

[*]More bulk to take when going away.

? You don't HAVE to take it when you are going away, just take the wall charger.

IMHO, it's a gimmick.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And some of your concerns are perfectly valid, depending on conditions. But it is, in no way, a gimmick. To me it has been one of the very best features ever. I absolutely love it.

* Charges just as fast or faster
* Charge whenever you like because it is so much easier
* Get it charging with far less effort
* No wearing out cords or plugs
* No wearing out the micro USB socket
* Grab and go!
* Works through most cases
* No bare cable to fall behind my desk or have to locate every time

I am not sure I could have a phone without this feature now! About the only possible real negative I have found is that the cats could push it off the charger and when I grab it later it is not charged. But in two months of using it every day, this has not happened even once.

jennyfur

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Wireless charging is one of those things that I never thought I needed, but then once I got it can't imagine going back. It's so convenient! Almost none of the issues bulletmark posted above apply to me. Sure, my N5 may charge a little slower, but the thing with wireless is that since it's so convenient, you're always topping off your charge. So speed doesn't matter since you typically never need to have it on that long. I haven't had the heat issues many people complain of, but maybe I'm just lucky. Which is even more hilarious since I'm just using a crappy $9 charger from China. I also don't use a case so that's not an issue. My charger doesn't beep, I would definitely stay away from any that do because that just sounds annoying and pointless. As for notifications, I use Lightflow and Tasker a lot so I have full control over those and they'd never be a problem. I never, ever placed any phone I've owned face down and can't image why I'd ever want to. That just sounds like asking for it to get scratched. As others have said, there's no reason to use your phone while it's on the charger, you can easily pick it up and place it back down again. And I really can't understand why people have issue with orientation, how hard is it to take the half a second to make sure the phone is straight? Maybe it's just easier for me because my charger is the same size and shape as the phone. But anyway, wireless charging was a total game changer for me. I'm considering buying more of them! :-D

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I have three phones in this house that use wireless charging. My Nexus 5, my 16yr old's HTC Windows 8X and my 12yr old's S3. ALL three charge faster than with OEM charger, none have any heat or orientation problems. I sold my HTC One specifically to get the Nexus 5 so I'd have wireless charging. I will be adding it to my wife's Note 2 shortly. I can't imagine owning a phone without wireless charging.

My Nexus 7 (2012) bugs me since it doesn't have it. I'm about ready to give it to one of the kids and pick up the newer one just for the wireless charging.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
My charger doesn't beep, I would definitely stay away from any that do because that just sounds annoying and pointless.

Not all chargers have the beep feature. It isn't pointless, it lets you know if you have it on there correctly, and it also lets you know if it is pushed off the correct orientation later (hello cats). Mine also beeps once when it hits 100% charge. The Nexus 5 will not make a sound when you put it on the charger if it is at 95% or something like that, so there is zero feedback (why doesn't it? I don't understand that).

As to whether or not you find the beep feature annoying, that is a personal preference. I am not sure why they don't all have it and make it switchable. Choice is good.

dav8388

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
When I first got my n5 I was using my brothers orb for the nexus 4. It worked good I wasn't a fan of it being at an angle . I got the LG WCP-300 and I like it. It is small so it don't take up any space on my night stand. I ste it on and the phone beeps and starts charging. I charge it over the night so I don't really know how long it takes. The only real thing I don't like is it has an led on the front and it is on all the time and flashes the whole time it is charging other than that it is great.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

jennyfur

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Not all chargers have the beep feature. It isn't pointless, it lets you know if you have it on there correctly, and it also lets you know if it is pushed off the correct orientation later (hello cats). Mine also beeps once when it hits 100% charge. The Nexus 5 will not make a sound when you put it on the charger if it is at 95% or something like that, so there is zero feedback (why doesn't it? I don't understand that).

As to whether or not you find the beep feature annoying, that is a personal preference. I am not sure why they don't all have it and make it switchable. Choice is good.
I work in a quiet office, so it's not only just if I would find beeping annoying, but also all of the people who sit around me. Since my charger is sized/shaped just like my phone, I can't imagine ever having an issue with it not being orientated correctly since it would be obvious by just looking at it. And on top of that, my charger has an LED (which apparently is also a point of personal preference as dav8388 dislikes his/hers) that turns from red to green so an audible alert is completely unnecessary to me. And I don't own cats that could potentially move it later. I already have a Tasker profile that alerts me when I hit 100% charge, and a lockscreen widget that shows battery info. So to me the annoyance of a charger beeping far outweighs any benefits it may have. But yes, having a choice is always a far better option. Then everyone can be happy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards