Nexus 5: Which wireless charger is the best?

Nabooy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Last edited by a moderator:

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Re: Which wireless charger is the best?

Tylt VU CHARGER only way to go

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

I just ordered the CHOE wireless charger from Amazon.

Amazon.com: CHOE UPGRADED Qi Wireless Charger Charging Pad for Nexus 5, Nexus 7(2013) , Nexus 4, Lumia 920, and Other Qi-Enabled Phones and Tablets: Cell Phones & Accessories

Haven't received yet, but I picked it because it was highly-rated on Amazon and was more affordable than the Nexus charger and other options. I'll update with my impressions of it once I get it.

Edit: Just received last night. I brought it into work with me - charged about 30% in a little less than an hour. They say in their documentation that the average time for a full charge is 4-5 hours, so that seems about right.

When I pulled my phone off the charger, it felt warm - checked my battery monitor app and the temp was 106 degrees F, which is about 41 degrees C...this is a bit concerning, as their documentation says to contact them if the temp goes above 42 C. Yikes. It's been about 20 mins since I took it off the charger, and the temp has gone down to about 90 F, so the charger definitely warmed things up. Not sure how much I like that.

It seems like a nice charger otherwise. Looks very sleek sitting on my desk, and I like the blue light that turns on to let you know that the phone is charging. Just wish it didn't heat it up so much. That can't be good for battery life, right?

Last edited:

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

I have a couple, a Noosy and a TECH-matte. They both work but I like the Noosy better, it has a flatter surface.

Last edited:

thefishhawk

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site

The choe is a great little charger for the money. *got one for my wife for christmas and it does what it needs to. * similar to the nexus charger without the magnets but for half the price. *perfect no frills charger and a smaller footprint. **

I almost went with the tlyt vu but got a little scared off by all the strange issues people were having (search for it). * and it was pricey. * I definitely wanted a stand type charger instead of flat though so I ended up ordering the nexus 4 charging orb off ebay (from china). * I think it is awesome for using at a desk. * no problem with sticking to the back of the N5. *I might pick up a couple more since they are cheap. * **

Posted via Android Central App

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

i've been using the nokia wireless charger that i got with my lumia 920 and it seems to work fine. it does charge a lot slower than the provided usb and it does get pretty warm by the time it's fully charged.

i have a question for those of you with the official nexus wireless charger. does it charge as fast as the provided usb? does the n5 get hot/warm while charging?

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

Sorry but what's the difference?

Honestly I didn't even compare the Nillkin I found on eBay. I didn't want to spend more than $30.

Goodfella1978

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

i have a question for those of you with the official nexus wireless charger. does it charge as fast as the provided usb? does the n5 get hot/warm while charging?

I have the official wireless charger and the handset definitely does not get hot in the slightest. The actual charging plate is tiny, it's a lovely little charger. I'd say it charges slower than on standard USB but I can't be 100% sure because most of the time I'd be charging overnight.

I will add though that the official charger can be very fussy as to what USB cable is used to connect it to the mains. The provided cable works fine but if you try to use your own cable it won't always work. A tiny little red light shows on the charger which means there's a power issue apparently, and it won't charge. The cable that came with mine was nice and long but I've read other users wishing to use their own cable because the one that came with it was too short.

I'm still on the hunt for a wireless car dock/charger!

jaystekan

May 28, 2011
Visit site

I see lots of recommendations for the Tylt Vue. I am not knocking the Tylt, but other than the fact that the phone is leaning on the charger at an incline, rather than just sitting flatly, what justifies the huge pricetag? This is an honest question, not ragging on the tylt at all, just curious why it is so expensive and so recommended. I ordered a Powerbot :Amazon.com: PowerBot? PB1020 Qi Enabled Wireless Charging Pad Station for All Qi Standard Compatible Devices Including Samsung, iPhone, Nokia, Google, Nexus, LG, HTC and Other Smartphones with Receivers (AC Adapter Not Included. Micro USB Cable Inclu. It cost me $21.99, came with 2 micro usb wires, one short and one longer, and free shipping when i added it to the rest of my order, and it seems to work just fine.

Last edited:

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I am pretty leery of cheap chargers. Especially when dealing with wireless so I went with the Zens charger when I had my S3, and it works awesome with the N5. It actually charges it extremely fast too. Almost as fast as if I plugged in the usb cord. I also purchased the official Google charger and I absolutely love the build quality, size, and appearance but it's so unbelievably slow and very picky about how your phone sits on it. Often i've noticed I set it down and it doesn't charge. I have to watch until I see the lightning bolt appear in the battery indicator and then be extremely gentle when locking the screen or else it stops charging again.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

I have the official wireless charger and the handset definitely does not get hot in the slightest. The actual charging plate is tiny, it's a lovely little charger. I'd say it charges slower than on standard USB but I can't be 100% sure because most of the time I'd be charging overnight.

I will add though that the official charger can be very fussy as to what USB cable is used to connect it to the mains. The provided cable works fine but if you try to use your own cable it won't always work. A tiny little red light shows on the charger which means there's a power issue apparently, and it won't charge. The cable that came with mine was nice and long but I've read other users wishing to use their own cable because the one that came with it was too short.

I'm still on the hunt for a wireless car dock/charger!

this is what you're looking for:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=B9ckVq5GJMWd2k680DopsQ&bvm=bv.60983673,d.cGU