Nexus 5 with Lollipop impressions

Testicleez

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Overall quite unhappy with the update. I can live with things changing around -- i've gotten use to the lockscreen swiping.

What I can't stand are:

1.Battery is atrocious. Spent the day at Disneyland on Saturday and only used the phone once to check a text message. Got there at 10 a.m. with full chage -- Phone was dead by 5 p.m. This is with zero usage.

2. LAG LAG LAG - this phone used to be so fast -- nothing but lagging now. It takes a good second or two to switch apps when a notification comes up. Takes a moment to go home when I hit the home button. Everything is slow. I tried clearing the cache in the recovery screen -- didn't help. Slow! I'm thinking about doing a factory reset as I haven't seen to many others complaining about this -- so it may just be my issue.

3. Banner notifications. These suck! I used to love that I could read my notifications in the small notification bar up top -- totally unobtrusive. Now, large white banners pop up, taking the top inch of the screen and obscuring whatever was behind them. It even happens in the middle of a game. Oh you're playing plants v. zombies 2? Here's a large banner to mess up your game. At least give us the option to turn off these annoying iOS like notifications and go back to the old ones.

So far, unimpressed. Sure, I can live with it, but it seems much less streamlined than before. The lag is what kills me the most though. I thought ART was supposed to make things faster!?

Yeah I'm hating the occasional lag with Lollipop. It takes twice as long to open certain apps. There are times when I'm on FB, YT, or Flipboard and I click the home button, all the app icons are missing for a few seconds except for the wallpaper. Laggy!! The N5 was super fast and reliable on KitKat, Lollipop definitely makes it feel "dated" at times.

The banner notifications annoy me as well.

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm also not loving the new Location pull down. I like to leave the mode on battery savings, and only turn on High Accuracy (GPS) when I'm navigating in my car. But I have to go through the settings menu to change between those two states (the pull down location button toggles between GPS or completely off). Any suggestions? The two toggle apps I've tried don't do what I want.
The Power Strip widget built into Android lets you do that. I use it for turning on and off Wifi, BT, and Location. For location, it doesn't toggle off or on, but battery saving or on.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
i unplugged my Nexus 5 from charger at 100% at 3:30pm Fri and went out all night with moderate usage (a few short phone calls, a few camera shots, a few texts/MMS, a few web searches - let's say bout 12 of each). happy hour, dinner, club. - i then finally crashed at 3:30am with no charger available - battery still had a tiny bit of juice left - LONG NIGHT! woke up at 9:30am and battery was dead. borrowed a charger from hotel staff and the damn thing never got above 0% despite charging for 20 minutes. i could use phone fine when it was plugged in but it would shut down immediately upon taking charger off. what's weird is the battery icon showed the lightning bolt so i assumed charger was working - but it never got above 0% despite being on charger for 20 minutes or so. on AT&T in major metro city so rural coverage should be no issue. came home and it charged up right away and seems to be charging fine now with stock charger. this was my first "all nighter" with no charger and after going through that whole morning with no working phone i've decided i'm getting the Nexus 6. i need more battery.

1. am i being unreasonable on Nexus 5 Lollipop Battery Life? i think i should've gotten more.
2. how is everyone's battery life vs. KitKat? perhaps it was no better.
3. is anyone experiencing any weird charging issues with Lollipop? maybe i just had a bad charger? it did say 1AMP and it did show the bolt.
4. who's getting Nexus 6 because of any such issues?

Well, 1A isn't a very high charge rate, especially if you were using it at the same time.

Everyone's experience is going to vary, but my battery is at least the same, if not better with lollipop.

dcnblues

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
The Power Strip widget built into Android lets you do that. I use it for turning on and off Wifi, BT, and Location. For location, it doesn't toggle off or on, but battery saving or on.

I'll be dammed, so it does. Thanks. It doesn't INDICATE the change (the bottom light bar stays lit), so I have to manually confirm, which kind of defeats the purpose, but maybe they'll fix that.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyone getting random black screen freezes? Like in the pic below. It's not fully frozen, I can pull down and open/close my notification window, but pressing things in there does nothing, and pressing the Back, Home, and App Switcher buttons do nothing either (even though they highlight as if they've been pressed).

A full reboot fixes this, but it still sucks. Anyone else?

V3KiEfq.jpg

Soylent_Green

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
To all the people complaining, have you tried a full restore? OTA updates never seem to go right.

Sent from my Rooted Nexus 5 (Sprint) running Android 5.0 Lollipop

bidoof01

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I tried Lolipop for a few days and absolutely hated it so I had to root it and downgrade to KitKat.

1- It was way slow and lots of lag.
2- Chrome isnt as functional with multiple tabs open.
3- Takes 2 moves to unlock which is idiotic, whoever thought of this needs to be fired.
4. White background instead of black does not look good.
5. Gallery replaced by Photos which I do not like.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I tried Lolipop for a few days and absolutely hated it so I had to root it and downgrade to KitKat.

You realize that there's a "Merge tabs and apps" setting right? Turning it off makes the browser tabs behave just like they did in KitKat. I usually have 25+ tabs open and handling them is as just as functional as KitKat was.

5. Gallery replaced by Photos which I do not like.

Gallery was old and outdated. Photo does a few things ok, but if you've never used the QuickPic app before then you have no right to complain about Gallery disappearing.

Last edited:

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
1- It was way slow and lots of lag.

Something was fixed recently (I think it may have been Google Play services update to 6.5+) which seems to have fixed this.

You can set this back to open tabs in chrome, but personally I think having everything in the "recent list" is an improvement.

3- Takes 2 moves to unlock which is idiotic, whoever thought of this needs to be fired.

Set your screen lock to "None".

Gallery replaced by Photos which I do not like.

Gallery was superceded by Photos long ago.

chaingangritesh

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I can run more then 24 hours a day on single charge with minimum usage i.e. whatsapp messages, some social networking sites here and there and 1 o 2 calls a day. I think NOW the real lollipop features are reflected in the phone since some weeks of update. Whats the status with you all guys?

Only hunch right now is that sometimes randomly, truecaller, android system, phone app, textra (my text app), etc shows up in the multi tasking even when I don't really open them :/

germcevoy

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I've found 5.0 to be atrocious so far. I installed OTA but have since did 2 factory resets. I get 2 good days of performance then the phone just completely dogs. If in an app and hitting the home button the phone hangs for a second or 2 then goes back to just showing my wallpaper, my homescreen then loads after another second.

Launching Chrome or Play Music takes an age and switching tasks is so slow. The battery life is extremely poor. If leaving the house at 8am I have to charge again at around 3 in the afternoon after approx 1 and a half hours screen on time.

Really hoping for an update otherwise I am selling up.

dcnblues

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
did i not say this in post #188?

Well, yes and no. You did suggest the widget, but you gave no details. Thanks though, should have listened harder.

Got another one for you: Muting. I use Mute (from MNO / android store), and it mostly works. Except that when I unmute, everything but Media comes back. As I use a song for my ringtone, I have to manually get the media slider back up (I use Volume Booster / app store to do so). Any advice?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny