Nexus 5 with Lollipop impressions

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
-I don't like how chrome tabs were added to recent apps. This feature is easily disable though.
The only reason you don't like it is because it is different to what you are used to. It makes a lot of sense to integrate app page/tab views into the new Overview and is a better way. You can switch the old chrome tab behaviour back on if you want but that's just persisting your old less efficient habits.

Soylent_Green

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I've definitely seen an increase in my battery life, sure it's not drastic but it's there for sure.

Sent from my Nexus 5 running Android 5.0 Lollipop

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
The only reason you don't like it is because it is different to what you are used to. It makes a lot of sense to integrate app page/tab views into the new Overview and is a better way. You can switch the old chrome tab behaviour back on if you want but that's just persisting your old less efficient habits.

Found the Chrome thing. I should explain that the reason I hate the block screen notifications is that I use BBM which always has a notification, so I always have an annoying lock screen notification. I could turn them off, but I would at least like the icons!

Posted via the Android Central App

KC1988

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I was running L preview for a week and the battery was better than KitKat. Flashed L factory image on Wednesday, and battery life is much worse than KitKat. Oh well.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Found the Chrome thing. I should explain that the reason I hate the block screen notifications is that I use BBM which always has a notification, so I always have an annoying lock screen notification. I could turn them off, but I would at least like the icons!

You can turn off the BBM Connected icon under BBM settings to get rid of the persistent notification on the lock screen. If you do that though there's a chance BBM will shut down if your device runs low on memory instead of staying open in the background.

pete_lockwood

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

Chrome tabs being part of Overview doesn't really work well and it's far less efficient. Before I switched Chrome back it was driving me insane trying to organize the tabs because I ended up with half a dozen tabs with the same title, which made it hard to figure out which page I'd read and wanted to close. Closing tabs you've opened using "open in new tab" is as easy as hitting the "back" icon, which is approximately 248 times quicker than bringing up the overview, waiting for the X to appear beside the tabs and guessing which page you want to close. When Chrome is integrated to Overview, hitting back no longer closes a tab. Dumb.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
You can turn off the BBM Connected icon under BBM settings to get rid of the persistent notification on the lock screen. If you do that though there's a chance BBM will shut down if your device runs low on memory instead of staying open in the background.

Yeah can't take that risk, but I understand. My question is is there really a risk that happens? My memory seldom goes low, so it would seem it would seldom happen, but with the garbage that BlackBerry programs, you never know.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah can't take that risk, but I understand. My question is is there really a risk that happens? My memory seldom goes low, so it would seem it would seldom happen, but with the garbage that BlackBerry programs, you never know.

My understanding of it is, without the connected icon turned on, BBM can get shut down like any other app by the memory management of the OS should the memory start running low. Probably not that big of a problem on high spec phones from the last year or so.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
My understanding of it is, without the connected icon turned on, BBM can get shut down like any other app by the memory management of the OS should the memory start running low. Probably not that big of a problem on high spec phones from the last year or so.

OK I'll give it a try thanks.

kembry

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone noticed your battery taking a serious hit after the Lollipop upgrade? My battery seems to be draining about twice as fast, and I have no idea why. I sideloaded the update. I've heard about some others having this problem. I'm wondering if this is an app issue or an issue with the new OS. Anyone else?

Soylent_Green

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone noticed your battery taking a serious hit after the Lollipop upgrade? My battery seems to be draining about twice as fast, and I have no idea why. I sideloaded the update. I've heard about some others having this problem. I'm wondering if this is an app issue or an issue with the new OS. Anyone else?
Try doing a clean install, huge upgrades like this I always like a clean install to spare myself issues like these.

Sent from my Nexus 5 running Android 5.0 Lollipop

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
1) I hate the white backgrounds. Why can't we *choose* which background we want on menus??
2) Not sure I like the recently used list
3) I hate the non-segmented wifi and cell reception indicators
4) I think I like the contacts screen better (very much like it being renamed from "people" which was stupid, to "contacts")
5) OMG!!! They FINALLY added the ability to control the brightness while in Auto mode!!! I have wanted that for YEARS. It was totally stupid that before it could be auto, which was ALWAYS too bright, or manual, which was a pain. Now it appears we have a bias setting while in Auto!!!
6) I tested bluetooth dialing a few times, and I think it actually works now, which it almost never does. It is still incredibly annoying (why do I have to say "select 2" and crap?). Time will tell if it is fixed or still flaky.
7) Not sure I like the keyboard yet
8) So far I see no change in tower reception (T-Mobile)

I have had the update for all of an hour so far... it came over the air this afternoon.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
what happened to auto brightness?

You can now leave it in auto AND adjust the bias to the auto, which is *WONDERFUL*. If you want to turn off Auto and be 100% manual (which I can't imagine why someone would want to do that), you have to go into the display settings. They were trying to keep it simple.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
You can get the Holo theme back on the keyboard in the settings.

( Which is very hidden. Press and hold the comma for the settings button to appear)

I wish there were an option to control the theme/color/background of other menus and such too.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Uh oh, the google balls are bouncing around and the screen won't turn off. Is this normal? Just installed the update.

Edit: OK it's still updating. Optimizing apps now....

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
two things:
i thought we were supposed to get double-tap to wake screen, and "ok google" from screen off - is that for nexus 6 only?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware