Nexus 5 wont turn on - constantly on Google logo for few seconds

sunnydsunnyd

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Hope you guys can help.

I've had my Nexus 5 phone for 16 months now - generally worked great. Occasionally it dies and wont power up, but tends to be fine once you leave it charged for 10 minutes and give it a go a few times.

However, now, it wont boot up at all. It has a mind of its own of turning on and off every few seconds, and then just staying on the Google logo before switching off again.
Very occasionally it gets to the 4 circles but again shut offs after a few seconds.

I've read a few threads that suggest pressing Vol button and power on button. I've tried that and get to the android robot screen, but it switches off like 1 second after, so im unable to select any options.

Any ideas very welcome?

When I have connected to a charger, it constantly boots up and switches off the google logo after couple of seconds all by itself.
but if not connected to a charger, then it remains off unless I press power button or give it a little knock.

Thanks a lot

bluefalcon13

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Could you try hooking it up to a USB port on a computer? Some people have had their issue similar to this resolved that way (mine required a PPA- "precise percussional adjustment", but try the computer USB port before whacking your phone).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

sunnydsunnyd

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your response.

Yes I've tried connecting to USB port on computer. Does pretty much the exact same thing as when connected to a main socket.
Just keeps powering up to the Google logo, switches off after 3 seconds, and reboots again in a constant loop

bluefalcon13

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Well, I recommend against beating your phone up, but giving it a solid, light whack helped fix mine. I think my power button was stuck through, even though it felt like it actuated just fine.

Method I used to PPA my phone:

Note: do this at your own risk, I am not responsible for your actions!

1. Hold phone in one hand, with thumb over notification light, and finger under the back side by the USB port.
2. Take other hand, open, and place palm under the upper area of the phone (camera/power button area).
3. Rotate first hand holding phone by bottom and give the phone a decent whack into your open palm. Remember that you are not trying to break the phone, but merely trying to jar loose any jammed internal buttons (the power button on the outside must push in a switch on the inside of the phone, that is what I tried to unjam).

Again, don't break your phone, cause that is on you. If you are super concerned about the phone, the only surefire way to fix it is probably to send it off to service.

sunnydsunnyd

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
Interestingly i just tried that, and although it still hasnt worked, that did make some progress.

By constanly whacking into my palm, I've managed to get past the swirling 4 circles, to the android logo, and its now got to the screen where it says it is 'Optimising apps 21 of 145' etc.... however as soon as I stop whacking my palm with it (starts to hurt after a while!!), then it powers off again!

so im guessing like you say, its gotta be linked to something internally jammed maybe?
When i press power button from outside it doesnt seem jammed, and does make that soft click noise as if it is hitting the internal switch, so not sure what else it could be, unless i try one of those guides to dismantle the phone completely?

bluefalcon13

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Other users have reported that they had a motherboard issue. You could try getting into recovery but I know I couldn't because my phone would reboot. I figured mine was power button related because the boot loop started when I turned off the screen via the power button and put the phone in my pants pocket. I felt it reboot shortly there after.

sunnydsunnyd

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
yeh i think my situation sounds similar to yours now.

I cant get into recovery cos it just powers after 2 seconds.
and yeah i put it in my pocket too, so guessing something jammed it.

whacking it into my palm definitely works but need to work out something more sustainable

sunnydsunnyd

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
yeh i think my situation sounds similar to yours now.

I cant get into recovery cos it just powers after 2 seconds.
and yeah i put it in my pocket too, so guessing something jammed it.

whacking it into my palm definitely works but need to work out something more sustainable

bluefalcon13

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
It's possible that the internal power switch has completely failed, which pretty much would require a motherboard replacement if the switch is soldered to the board.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan