Nexus 6P - Photos not showing

juststart

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this is 6P specific but I just got it and have a ton of photos via the google photos app. When I try to add a photo as an attachment to a text or even try to upload something to instagram it only shows photos taken with my 6P, not any of my other photos. Is there a setting I'm not aware of or is this just the way it is? I know I can go into the photos app and click the share button but that adds unnecessary steps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Photos not showing

I checked on my 6P, and I recall a similar question about this a while ago. It doesn't appear that Hangouts can access your cloud Google Photos when attaching a photo. You'd either have to share via the Photos app as you mentioned, or download the photo to the phone first, then attach it in the Hangouts app. I don't use Google Messenger, so I can't say how that works. But interestingly, you can access all of your cloud Google Photos if you're creating a post in Google+. It'd be worth giving Google feedback about this.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site

It doesn't cache all the photos in your library but if you go in to Google photos, you can have them all loaded and then click share and achieve the same results that's what I do

Posted via the Android Central App

metall0099

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site

I'm new to android and am switching from apple. So it's been a painful process, but I'm taking it one step at a time. My question is the app and provider I have chosen to take my photos and sync between devices. I choose google photo, but have realized a similar issue with this app. I would like to have the photos downloaded to my devices and not eat up my data when I'm browsing through them. I'm considering amazon photo at this point unless someone can tell me this is possible with google photo.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

If you're concerned about data usage in general, you could always toggle off your Auto-Sync when you don't need it. You can always manually refresh apps like Gmail if your Auto-Sync is off. To turn off Auto-Sync, go to Settings>Accounts, tap Menu, then uncheck Auto-Sync Data. An easier way is to install a 3rd party toggle widget (I like Power Toggles). This way, you can wait until you're on wi-fi, then toggle on Auto-Sync.

You can always download individual photos from your Google Photos to your device, but that can eat up a lot of internal storage. There's no way that I'm aware of to bulk download your entire Photos library (which could be thousands of photos for many people).

cane prevost1

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site

I'm new to android and am switching from apple. So it's been a painful process, but I'm taking it one step at a time. My question is the app and provider I have chosen to take my photos and sync between devices. I choose google photo, but have realized a similar issue with this app. I would like to have the photos downloaded to my devices and not eat up my data when I'm browsing through them. I'm considering amazon photo at this point unless someone can tell me this is possible with google photo.

If the photos are downloaded to your device then they will use data unless you are connected to wifi. You can see all your photos regardless of whether or not they are on your device. Google Photos is integrated into the OS in a way that I can attach photos to emails and text messages even though they are in the cloud and not on my device. This saves me device space and works just like I had the photos stored locally. Plus I can get to my photos instantly from my laptop. I also have the desktop app that automatically backs up all photos on my computer so I have all my photos available from all devices instantly. Nice trick.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

The only thing I noticed is that if you want to share the full resolution version of the photo you take with the device, I have to go to device folders and choose the picture from there. Since I use the unlimited storage option, it compressed the picture slightly. There is at times 1 to 2 Megabytes difference between the photo that is stored in the cloud, I.e. the ones that show up as you open the photos app, versus the ones that are stored locally found under device folders.... I guess not that big deal dough...

Posted via the Android Central App