Nexus 6P vs BlackBerry Priv

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I have a Nexus 6P and was wondering if I should sell it and get a BlackBerry Priv.

I really love physical keyboards and the camera on paper for the Priv seems better with OIS and fast auto focus but reading on CrackBerry forums and seeing how many have issues with the Priv like screen being clicky when you touch it, phone overheating, etc. kinda scares me. Anyone has some thoughts on this? preferably someone who has owned both devices?

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
personally I wouldn't be buying any phone right now with MWC just a couple weeks away.

that said, you know what you'd be giving up with the 6p. is the keyboard worth the tradeoff?

I wouldn't let camera factor into your decision.

GeneralHerzog

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
For every clicky complaint, there are several more without the issue.

It's a slider. It's going to have a noticeable 'off' sound or a 'bend' and a 'creaky clicky crack'

Everyone will find something when they try hard enough and thus must be heard as they share their plight.

20 people will raise an issue but 5x's that don't make a stink because it's really not an issue worth ranting about save for the few.

I have the Priv and I love it. Not one regret.

My son needs an upgrade and whilst we've been a BBRY family for the last 12 years, I'm considering the 6P for him as he's just not a pkb guy.

They're both great phones.
All I'd say is to listen to the nay sayers a little less. It's really not that bad.

Posted via Priv
STV100-3 on Rogers

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 6P and was wondering if I should sell it and get a BlackBerry Priv.

I really love physical keyboards and the camera on paper for the Priv seems better with OIS and fast auto focus but reading on CrackBerry forums and seeing how many have issues with the Priv like screen being clicky when you touch it, phone overheating, etc. kinda scares me. Anyone has some thoughts on this? preferably someone who has owned both devices?

Ugh. That'd be a couple of steps down, trading the Nexus 6P for the Priv. I had the Priv for a week and hated it. I never used the PKB because it was faster to type on the screen. And the cameras weren't that good on the device. Stay with the 6P. It's so much better in every way.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your comments guys. I guess I'll save my money and stick to the Nexus 6P then if you say the Keyboard is not that great on the Priv, that and the fact that it is $150 USD more expensive than the 6P here so that would mean I would have to spend more money and then sell my 6P for a loss.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
As one commenter said, I'd wait for MWC to happen before making any decisions. That said, the Priv and 6P are both great phones, but I'd lean towards the Nexus. While the Priv is nice, I'd worry about long term support given the instability at Blackberry right now.

diego.roscetti

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your comments guys. I guess I'll save my money and stick to the Nexus 6P then if you say the Keyboard is not that great on the Priv, that and the fact that it is $150 USD more expensive than the 6P here so that would mean I would have to spend more money and then sell my 6P for a loss.

I have owned the Priv and currently have a 6p. The top rows of keys were difficult to press for me. That was without a case on it. Once I put the hard shell on it, it was even more difficult.

I loved the Hub on my previous BlackBerry but on the Priv it was very buggy. Granted, that was when it was first released so the latest update might have fixed the issues I was having.

Basically, for me anyways, I love my 6p overall and would put it over the Priv.

Just my $0.02.

Posted via the Android Central App

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I have owned the Priv and currently have a 6p. The top rows of keys were difficult to press for me. That was without a case on it. Once I put the hard shell on it, it was even more difficult.

I loved the Hub on my previous BlackBerry but on the Priv it was very buggy. Granted, that was when it was first released so the latest update might have fixed the issues I was having.

Basically, for me anyways, I love my 6p overall and would put it over the Priv.

Just my $0.02.

thanks a lot, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for from real users of the Priv. Doesn't make sense at all after reading this to shell out 200 USD more for a Priv which seems inferior when it comes to build quality. The more I read issues on CrackBerry forums, the more I steer clear from it. What concerns me most is the small physical keyboard so it's not the old BB keyboard I was hoping to get and the numerous overheating issues causing the device to clock down on the speed to remedy the heat issues AND lots of users complaining about bad signal quality despite BlackBerry been known for the best radios in their phones in the past.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
As one commenter said, I'd wait for MWC to happen before making any decisions. That said, the Priv and 6P are both great phones, but I'd lean towards the Nexus. While the Priv is nice, I'd worry about long term support given the instability at Blackberry right now.

what really worries me is, in the past BlackBerry phones were known to lose value when you try to sell them really bad, unlike Samsung or iPhones. Now I see on our local shopping/selling site called Dubizzle people selling the PRIV for 60% of its price and labeled used for a couple of days or brand new, makes me wonder, why are these people selling it so fast for such a loss? I feel if I buy it, just like any other BlackBerry phone I've owned before, that I would sell it in a couple of months for 50% of its price.

diego.roscetti

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
thanks a lot, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for from real users of the Priv. Doesn't make sense at all after reading this to shell out 200 USD more for a Priv which seems inferior when it comes to build quality. The more I read issues on CrackBerry forums, the more I steer clear from it. What concerns me most is the small physical keyboard so it's not the old BB keyboard I was hoping to get and the numerous overheating issues causing the device to clock down on the speed to remedy the heat issues AND lots of users complaining about bad signal quality despite BlackBerry been known for the best radios in their phones in the past.

I did not have the overheating issues.

I did have the creaky back and weak signal. It did make me drop any calls or stuff like that but I was getting 1 bar on LTE in the heart of Toronto

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
As a CrackBerry enthusiast, I too frequent the site and there is * a lot* of mixed reviews about the Priv. The fanbase seems to be split into two camps: they love it or they despise it (for a slew of reasons). I've never owned the Priv, so unfortunately I can't give you any tangible solutions to your quandary... But what I will point out is that forums can be deceptive. A lot of people will post about issues to look for help; and will do that more often than posting things like praise reports/positive reviews of the device. Some people seem to focus more on posting about tech issues/concerns/questions than actual positive facets of the device; which can then make other posters/people who are doing research think that that device is inferior. Just something to consider.

I can't remember if I was on CrackBerry or Android Central (it was probably CrackBerry - yes, it was, actually); and there was a forum thread with a link to an article about a Priv review. Reading it actually made me understand how an "old school" BB enthusiast could go from being iffy about the device to really enjoying it (i.e., you hear people saying, "I don't like it/learned to like it," but they don't tell you how they went about it/how the process occurred; and this reviewer was pretty honest).

I've heard that the keyboard is not the same as other BB keyboards in the past; however, I've also heard that it's still quite good. Also, yes, the camera seems to be a selling feature. There are a few really good reviews of the Priv, and there are a lot of people who do like it. It's disappointing that the Priv has gotten a lot of flack; as I personally think that BB was being brilliant in combining its hardware/sick keyboard with Android's OS... But I digress. ;)

My suggestion to you (my two-cents' worth LOOL) is to go to your carrier and try a Priv in the store. See if they will actually let you give one a test drive. Tell them about your concerns. I definitely get what you mean - I LOVED my Q10 and my 9780, and still miss the physical keyboard... It's hard to give up!

Also, the mods at CrackBerry are always very knowledgeable about the newest stuff - maybe send one of them a PM and ask about the Priv.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have used both devices and actually loved both. I found I was not using the Priv keyboard enough and that having a Nexus 6P with the BB app suite installed was enough for me. (there's a thread at CB that tell's you how to do this) One thing for sure that was better on the Priv was call quality, calls were louder and clearer on the Priv. Also I did not have many of the issues experienced by others, or I was able to solve them. The 2 issues I did have battery life and the device getting hot were resolved by updating firmware AND removing the T-Mobile My Account app. The T-Mobile app has a major bug apparently. My device was rock solid build wise, partially because I had the US model which includes the wireless charging. Devices that do not have this usually creak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arlecchino