Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I use far more than 2.5GB to tether each month. There was one month when I was tethering but had my computer connected to my WiFi. I was downloading some TV shows on iTunes on my computer. For some reason, my computer dumped my WiFi connection and connected to my Nexus 4 and in less than 30 minutes, used 5GB of data before I saw what was happening.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
The T-mo unlimited plans offering unlimited data but with a cap on how much of it goes across their HSPA+/LTE (4g) networks, beyond which cap data passes along their EDGE (2g) network, does permit tethering at no charge, but as I understand it (assuming the reps with whom I've spoken are correct) only the amount up to the 4g cap is tetherable.

Yes, this was exactly what I was getting at. I have an unlimited (pre-paid) 4G plan, but have no need to tether as I rarely carry around my Nexus 10. Bought the Nexus 7 for my wife for her birthday. Was going to wait until the LTE version came out but after online chat with T-Mobile I found out her 2.5GB plan (also prepaid) included 2.5GB of tethering. That sealed it for me as she will not use that much.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I use far more than 2.5GB to tether each month. There was one month when I was tethering but had my computer connected to my WiFi. I was downloading some TV shows on iTunes on my computer. For some reason, my computer dumped my WiFi connection and connected to my Nexus 4 and in less than 30 minutes, used 5GB of data before I saw what was happening.

Hmm... Three possibilitiesI can think of then:

• Your account is somehow misconfigured (it's not uncommon when a rep provisions your plans to enter incorrect features/services/promotions, and this might have just been very, very much in your favor)
  • T-mo's system for implementing the cap only checks your status vs. said cap periodically and you hadn't hit it (though I doubt this one if you've used that far in excess specifically while tethering)
  • Your N4 was still connected to the WiFi when your computer dumped the connection, and acted as a 'pass-through' channeling data between your computer and the WiFi.

joeynumbers

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I think if you tether through a nexus device, the carrier would have no way of knowing. Tethering is built native I'm android and requires carrier software to block.

Posted via Android Central App

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I signed up for my accounts through the T-Mobile website so there was no rep who provisioned it.

T-mo's web-based sales are still provisioned by reps - just not by store reps. You're certain that the third possibility (phone was connected to WiFi, simply acting as a conduit for data between the PC and the WiFi) wasn't the case?

April920

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I still have my Nexus 4, did u take out the sim from your current phone and placed it in your Nexus 4?

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
T-mo's web-based sales are still provisioned by reps - just not by store reps. You're certain that the third possibility (phone was connected to WiFi, simply acting as a conduit for data between the PC and the WiFi) wasn't the case?

100% positive. I had the phone set to tether for about the past 24 hrs when that happened.

rcauvin

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Isn't the tablet locked to T-Mobile? If so, you cannot use it directly with ATT service unless you defeat that protocol rather then getting T-Mobile's consent - and unless I'm misrecalling the legislative change, that's no longer a grey legal area but a defined violation (since the early part of this year).

No, the tablet comes with a T-Mobile SIM card but is unlocked and will work with SIM cards from other providers.

genoist

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I have found that when I tether an Android tablet to my Nexus 4 (and my Galaxy Nexus before) that T-Mobile doesn't seem to detect it as tethering. When I was setting up my 2013 Nexus 7 I used up about 5 GB of data tethered to my N4.

If I tether it to my computer it only works for a short time (maybe 50 MB worth of usage) I get the T-Mobile page prompting me to change my plan to a plan that includes tethering.

It would seem that it looks the same as on-phone data to the system.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have found that when I tether an Android tablet to my Nexus 4 (and my Galaxy Nexus before) that T-Mobile doesn't seem to detect it as tethering. When I was setting up my 2013 Nexus 7 I used up about 5 GB of data tethered to my N4.

If I tether it to my computer it only works for a short time (maybe 50 MB worth of usage) I get the T-Mobile page prompting me to change my plan to a plan that includes tethering.

This is true. I've been using my Nexus 4 to tether for the past six months and have never had T-Mobile tell me not to. I have even used as much as 25-26GB in two weeks once when my DSL router broke, I tethered to my computer till the new router got here.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Since the programs are virtually identical on an android tablet and phone, it would be tougher for them to sense tethering - requests made from Chrome mobile browser would look the same either way. A desktop browser request would have some different characteristics in the way it is submitted, and those are easier to discern.

I used to use my old LG G2x as a mobile hotspot using FoxFi, and for a long time it worked on both PC and tablet (2012 N7). It didn't take them long to figure out the PC usage. Worth noting, though, eventually they did determine hotspotting to the N7 and disabled that, too.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, this was exactly what I was getting at. I have an unlimited (pre-paid) 4G plan, but have no need to tether as I rarely carry around my Nexus 10. Bought the Nexus 7 for my wife for her birthday. Was going to wait until the LTE version came out but after online chat with T-Mobile I found out her 2.5GB plan (also prepaid) included 2.5GB of tethering. That sealed it for me as she will not use that much.

If that's what you were getting at...you should have said that. Instead you said there was NO tethering on T-Mo. I still don't understand what you're talking about.

There are some differences between prepaid and postpaid with T-Mo, so it would very helpful if you clarified this before getting in an argument with not one, but two, people on here.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
If that's what you were getting at...you should have said that. Instead you said there was NO tethering on T-Mo. I still don't understand what you're talking about.

There are some differences between prepaid and postpaid with T-Mo, so it would very helpful if you clarified this before getting in an argument with not one, but two, people on here.

First, T-Mobile only recently made changes after my post to it's tethering options on it's post paid unlimited plans. (T-Mobile now offering more tethering data options to unlimited users | Android Central) Second, I was specifically referring to unlimited plans, not any plan. Third, my comment was a week ago with multiple users posting since. Are you proud of yourself now for finding an older post and attacking it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panohoshi Hxo