Nexus 7 or LG G Pad 8.3?

anon(8952473)

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
וThe 32GB Nexus 7 is now on clearance where I live (not the U.S.) for 240$ (70$ less than the usual price). The G Pad can be had as a limited-time deal for 200$. The device I choose will replace my aging 3rd-gen iPad (damn you iOS 8!!), and I will use it *heavily* (~7-8) every day for school -that includes OneNote and web browsing. I will also be reading manga on it.
I have no problem at all with rooting, CWM-flashing and CM-installing on either device.

So, which should I choose?

Last edited:

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
After too many disastrous quality control and customer service SNAFUs, I wouldn't own another LG product if you GAVE it to me.

The Nexus 7 is still the tablet to beat, IMHO.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you can go wrong with either. Is the G Pad 16 or 32 GB? Is it the Google Play Edition? GPE would be ideal, but the non-GPE G Pad is still supposed to be excellent. I have a 2013 Nexus 7, and it has not slowed down one bit after a year.

It might come down to what size screen you prefer. If you're going to be using it for a lot of productivity and media consumption, the larger screen might be better. But if you really want to root and tinker a lot, then the Nexus 7 will have a much bigger community.

GPuba

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
The 32GB Nexus 7 is now on clearance where I live (not the U.S.) for 240$ (70$ less than the usual price). The G Pad can be had as a limited-time deal for 200$. The device I choose will replace my aging 3rd-gen iPad (damn you iOS 8!!), and I will use it *heavily* (~7-8) every day for school -that includes OneNote and web browsing. I will also be reading manga on it.
I have no problem at all with rooting, CWM-flashing and CM-installing on either device.

So, which should I choose?

Nexus 7 is more smooth than the GPad. It is overall a better tablet.

Posted via Android Central App

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
First of all you are asking your question on the Nexus 7 forum so expect answers to be biased toward the Nexus. The honest answer is that both are good tablets. What Nexus offers is a pure Google experience. That is Android without any skins (brand launchers) installed over Android. LG and Samsung both have done this and while it may enhance the user experience it can also slow the tablet down and cause some lagging. In Samsung's case with their new Galaxy Tab S series there generally isn't any lag. However, with the LG I did experience some lag when playing with one. But, if you decide you like the LG better you can remove or disable its launcher for a smoother, pure Android experience. One final note. Because the Nexus is a Google product they are the first to get Android updates. That feature may or may not be important to you.

GPuba

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
First of all you are asking your question on the Nexus 7 forum so expect answers to be biased toward the Nexus. The honest answer is that both are good tablets. What Nexus offers is a pure Google experience. That is Android without any skins (brand launchers) installed over Android. LG and Samsung both have done this and while it may enhance the user experience it can also slow the tablet down and cause some lagging. In Samsung's case with their new Galaxy Tab S series there generally isn't any lag. However, with the LG I did experience some lag when playing with one. But, if you decide you like the LG better you can remove or disable its launcher for a smoother, pure Android experience. One final note. Because the Nexus is a Google product they are the first to get Android updates. That feature may or may not be important to you.

Your answer was exactly my point, except I was too lazy to type it. Thanks!!!

Posted via Android Central App

anon(8952473)

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! To answer your questions:
The G-Pad is 16 GB, but I have a 64GB card chock-full with movies and music. It isn't the GPE as GPE devices aren't available in my country. My grandmother owns a G-Pad, and I've played around with it- it's an amazing product hardware wise, but LG's UI is just awful. And I've used an S3 for a year and a half, so that's saying something!
Anyway, back to the point- I will be using it for school (notes and schoolbooks) so the larger screen will be appreciated. I *love* tinkering with my devices- perhaps too much so (accidentally formatted the system partition on my Nexus 5...).
So I guess I'll go with the Nexus. More active community, slightly smaller screen (I'll be using a USB keyboard anyway, so typing space isn't an issue) and awesome software out of the box seem great!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think you'll love it. The other thing about a 16 GB device is that you'll be that much more limited in terms of app installations, since you can't install apps entirely onto an SD card. The G Pad probably only gives you around 12 GB of free internal storage, since about 4 GB is usually taken up by the OS. Compare that with 26 GB on the Nexus 7. If you plan on installing big games that take up more than 1 GB, you'll be glad you have the bigger internal storage.

anon(8952473)

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I think you'll love it. The other thing about a 16 GB device is that you'll be that much more limited in terms of app installations, since you can't install apps entirely onto an SD card. The G Pad probably only gives you around 12 GB of free internal storage, since about 4 GB is usually taken up by the OS. Compare that with 26 GB on the Nexus 7. If you plan on installing big games that take up more than 1 GB, you'll be glad you have the bigger internal storage.

True, although both my iPad and Z1 Compact have 16gb and I'm just fine. The IPad is super limiting- after my notebooks and schoolbook PDFs I only have around 4 GB of free space.

hkklife

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a N7 2013 and my wife has a G-Pad 8.3 LTE so I can comment on both. I would take a 32GB N7 2013 over a skinned G-Pad....but I would probably take a 16GB GPE G-Pad 8.3 over a 16GB N7. The N7 supports Qi wireless charging and can be had with 2x the internal storage, so those are its chief hardware advatages. Otherwise, the N7's primary appeal is software- related The LG clearly has superior hardware in all other aspects and I feel that 8.3"-8.4" is the ideal compromise between screen size and portability.

anon(8952473)

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I have a N7 2013 and my wife has a G-Pad 8.3 LTE so I can comment on both. I would take a 32GB N7 2013 over a skinned G-Pad....but I would probably take a 16GB GPE G-Pad 8.3 over a 16GB N7. The N7 supports Qi wireless charging and can be had with 2x the internal storage, so those are its chief hardware advatages. Otherwise, the N7's primary appeal is software- related The LG clearly has superior hardware in all other aspects and I feel that 8.3"-8.4" is the ideal compromise between screen size and portability.

Thanks, I'll definitely take that in mind!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armydudeJC