Nexus 7 OTG USB

Weiserca

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who has one, what have you tried plugging in? Whats worked? Is root access needed? I've been holding off on buying an OTG adapter until i know what i can do.

Much thanks to all,
Chris

Sent from my DROID X2 using Android Central Forums

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
This will be the first thing I try when I get My nexus. Heard if you are rooted and use stick mount you can access thumb drives

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
sweet! I knew my GS3 did this but wasn't sure it worked on the Nexus 7 without root. I ordered an adapter from Amazon. I rooted my tablet anyways because it was so easy.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine does not seem to respond to the OTG cable I bought for the HTC One X. Or there is a power limitation because all my USB drives require high power to work.

Flatland2D

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I was able to play Shadowgun with a PS3 controller plugged in, all stock and no root. I was surprised that worked "out of the box" with the mapping of the joysticks and buttons. Very cool.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ChuckeeDroid

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Bought a USB Togo adapter on eBay for $1.43. Tried it with a USB keyboard. Worked without any tinkering. Don't know what USB storage would do but i heard it doesn't work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Bought a USB Togo adapter on eBay for $1.43. Tried it with a USB keyboard. Worked without any tinkering. Don't know what USB storage would do but i heard it doesn't work.

Read the thread, silly. USB storage works fine, just install stickmount and you're good to go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Weiserca

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I was able to play Shadowgun with a PS3 controller plugged in, all stock and no root. I was surprised that worked "out of the box" with the mapping of the joysticks and buttons. Very cool.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Is it possible to play with you ps3 controller and not plug it in, maybe over BT?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Android Central Forums

Flatland2D

May 4, 2012
Visit site
There is an app for that, but I don't have it. I think it's $2 or $3 but using a cable is free. I'll probably buy it soon though.

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Read the thread, silly. USB storage works fine, just install stickmount and you're good to go.

Depends on the drive. My Toshiba 320gb hardrive won't work even with stick Mount. So far I've got thumb drive and USB wireless mount to work. I tried hooking my gs3 but the tablet wouldn't read it as a storage device. My Xbox 360 wireless controller adapter is on the way. I plan on mostly using it for that.

uM-elo

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Do all of those cheap cables work?

I bought one over a week ago and it's been sitting here since I haven't gotten my N7 yet. I really want to try a keyboard and a PS3 controller. I don't plan on rooting (new to android, figure I'll go baby steps lol) so USB storage is sadly not gonna be an option (unless I'm mistaken).

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Depends on the drive. My Toshiba 320gb hardrive won't work even with stick Mount. So far I've got thumb drive and USB wireless mount to work. I tried hooking my gs3 but the tablet wouldn't read it as a storage device. My Xbox 360 wireless controller adapter is on the way. I plan on mostly using it for that.

It doesn't work hard drives that requires external power. It does work with memory sticks and microsd cards.

Last edited:

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Sucks that JB needs an app for this. My cheap Chinese tablet I got for $100 a year ago running ICS non-rooted can do so much more over OTG than the Nexus7 can stock. It is the only thing rubbing me wrong so far.

My GS3 doesn't require an app either. Odd the Nexus 7 does.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Sucks that JB needs an app for this. My cheap Chinese tablet I got for $100 a year ago running ICS non-rooted can do so much more over OTG than the Nexus7 can stock. It is the only thing rubbing me wrong so far.

Men, tales 30 seconds to install the app. I have a 120 gb flash drive that works great. Not trying to be quarrelsome, but I'm pretty sure that 100 dollar tablet is garage compared to your nexus, despite what it can do with otg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174