Nexus 7 OTG USB

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't work with and hard drive that requires external power. It does work with memory sticks and microsd cards.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Hmm doesn't require external power' just runs off USB, no external charger.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Hmm doesn't require external power' just runs off USB, no external charger.

That's most definitely why it doesn't work. The nexus doesn't put out enough power to run it. Basically it only works with thumb drives/microsd.

ramirez1900

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
This not truth bc i use a OTG usb with keyboard,Thumb drive etc and all work find without root on nexus 7, so give it a shot yourself. assuming doesn't work.:)

uM-elo

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Men, tales 30 seconds to install the app. I have a 120 gb flash drive that works great. Not trying to be quarrelsome, but I'm pretty sure that 100 dollar tablet is garage compared to your nexus, despite what it can do with otg.

Wait does it have to be rooted to download it?

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
That's most definitely why it doesn't work. The nexus doesn't put out enough power to run it. Basically it only works with thumb drives/microsd.

Ahh makes sense. Just ordered a 64gb flash drive for movies while on the go and no WiFi connection.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Men, tales 30 seconds to install the app. I have a 120 gb flash drive that works great. Not trying to be quarrelsome, but I'm pretty sure that 100 dollar tablet is garage compared to your nexus, despite what it can do with otg.

My point is I have built a home docking station for tablets with wireless keyboard&mouse, a 500gb external hard drive, 23" touch screen monitor, and a powered USB 4 port HUB. Mostly for my 6 year old son to use as an Android desktop. Of the 15+ tablets I have tested only the Nexus7 has issues. That fact is alittle depressing. It will likely be fixed with a software update.

Sorry the tablet was $130 I edit my post and included a link.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
My point is I have built a home docking station for tablets with wireless keyboard&mouse, a 500gb external hard drive, 23" touch screen monitor, and a powered USB 4 port HUB. Mostly for my 6 year old son to use as an Android desktop. Of the 15+ tablets I have tested only the Nexus7 has issues. That fact is alittle depressing. It will likely be fixed with a software update.

Sorry the tablet was $130 I edit my post and included a link.

Don't bet on it being fixed with a software update. The only reason it doesn't work without an app is because Google intentionally disabled it. The whole reason they sold a tablet with no SD SD with basically zero profit was to get you to use Google play/their cloud.

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I got my OTG cable recently, mainly for the purpose of using my Playstation 3 controller with my Nexus 7. However, it seems that the tablet does not recognize the controller. I got it to work briefly last night, but when I tried it again today, it went back to not working. I've seen several different things happen when I plug the controller in.

1. The lights on the controller start to blink. The tablet does not read the controller.
2. No lights go off and nothing happens.
3. No lights go off, but the controller works (only happened once).

I've tried with 3 controllers so far. I'm not sure what I did differently to get it to work last time but I'm getting really frustrated! Seems like other people can just plug it in and it'll work. I've plugged and unplugged it a lot of times now and same results.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Mine just got in and it is defective. The USB into the nexus is too long and won't lock in. The stock charger is on the left. Works if held in place. Guess I'll try again and order.
43541cb6-445a-3ad2.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

sheureka

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If you really don't want to root, the Kingston Wi-Drive works very well. I've loaded a couple of movies and lots and lots of photos - and they can be accessed from my phone, my Asus Transformer, and my Nexus 7. And all at the same time! - sheureka

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
If you really don't want to root, the Kingston Wi-Drive works very well. I've loaded a couple of movies and lots and lots of photos - and they can be accessed from my phone, my Asus Transformer, and my Nexus 7. And all at the same time! - sheureka

The Kingston wi-drive is great, I personally love it. But for a lot of people it's 4 bucks vs 70 or so.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Mine just got in and it is defective. The USB into the nexus is too long and won't lock in. The stock charger is on the left. Works if held in place. Guess I'll try again and order.
Click to view quoted image

Is this the Sanoxy one off Amazon Marketplace?
Some of the reviews mentioned the connector is too long and it's loose as well as facing up because the N7's connector is reversed too...

jnb5531

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Bought an OTG on amazon for $0.68 and it works perfectly. The micro usb is really long but it ensures it fits into any device. Plugged in my wired xbox 360 remote and it worked immediately without root. Just configured to emulators and games and good to go. Ordered a 32gb thumb drive and waiting to test. From the forums I've gathered that anything above 32gb has caused issues but a post above said that a 100gb stick worked so who knows.

Reactions: wolverinex