Nexus 7 OTG USB

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Bought an OTG on amazon for $0.68 and it works perfectly. The micro usb is really long but it ensures it fits into any device. Plugged in my wired xbox 360 remote and it worked immediately without root. Just configured to emulators and games and good to go. Ordered a 32gb thumb drive and waiting to test. From the forums I've gathered that anything above 32gb has caused issues but a post above said that a 100gb stick worked so who knows.

My 64gb didn't work either

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Is this the Sanoxy one off Amazon Marketplace?
Some of the reviews mentioned the connector is too long and it's loose as well as facing up because the N7's connector is reversed too...

Yup. The seller wowparts was awesome and refunded me the $2 without issue and didn't want the cable back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

blackberrymamba

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Bought an OTG on amazon for $0.68 and it works perfectly. The micro usb is really long but it ensures it fits into any device. Plugged in my wired xbox 360 remote and it worked immediately without root. Just configured to emulators and games and good to go. Ordered a 32gb thumb drive and waiting to test. From the forums I've gathered that anything above 32gb has caused issues but a post above said that a 100gb stick worked so who knows.

Don't you have to root the tablet though for a thumb drive to work?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
i am still unclear, can you use the usb adaptor WITHOUT rooting to see usd drives etc or do REQUIRE rooting. its not clear to me. i'd like to move over WORD files to my 16gb N7 every so often.

dpridgen

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
i am still unclear, can you use the usb adaptor WITHOUT rooting to see usd drives etc or do REQUIRE rooting. its not clear to me. i'd like to move over WORD files to my 16gb N7 every so often.

Yes, it requires root in order to mount a USB stick or drive. There are, however, many other ways to move a file to the device without mounting a usb drive. WiFi drives, Airdroid, mounting the device to your computer, dropbox, google drive, email, etc, etc.

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it requires root in order to mount a USB stick or drive. There are, however, many other ways to move a file to the device without mounting a usb drive. WiFi drives, Airdroid, mounting the device to your computer, dropbox, google drive, email, etc, etc.

so how come people are saying on here that rooting isnt necessary?

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
so how come people are saying on here that rooting isnt necessary?

Member was talking about wi-drive not needing root as its just a WiFi hard drive that you can load stuff to and pull the files off of but costs almost $100.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site

It has nothing to do with the amount of RAM, it matters if the external storage needs significant power from the Nexus. My 128 GB stick works fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

thirstypotato

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I bought an otg cable off amazon for about $3 that was called "OTG Cable compatible with nexus 7" hopefully the title is true it should come in a week :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Instead of a cable I bought a micro USB male to USB female that I plug a small shape 32gb HP thumb drive. The overall length is that if a regular sized thumb drive. Got both on amazon. The adapter took three weeks since it shipped from Hong Kong. Works great with stickmount.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

nuchdog

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
My external hard drive works fine. my setup;

rooted running Liquids Jelley Bean Rom Beta1
stick mount and efs file explorer
1 Tera Byte WD Passport drive.
USB-OTG cable.

kroman1107

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Instead of a cable I bought a micro USB male to USB female that I plug a small shape 32gb HP thumb drive. The overall length is that if a regular sized thumb drive. Got both on amazon. The adapter took three weeks since it shipped from Hong Kong. Works great with stickmount.

I'm likening that a bit more then a hanging adapter I think. Wonder which one will put more pressure on the port. I ordered mine 2 weeks ago from some foreign country probably hong Kong. I guess the 7 year old making it isn't done yet but that's a little ridiculous IMO I'll buy in the us next time for sure and not wonder when it will come in. I have no idea no communication or anything.

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm likening that a bit more then a hanging adapter I think. Wonder which one will put more pressure on the port. I ordered mine 2 weeks ago from some foreign country probably hong Kong. I guess the 7 year old making it isn't done yet but that's a little ridiculous IMO I'll buy in the us next time for sure and not wonder when it will come in. I have no idea no communication or anything.

As far as i can tell nobody in the us makes an adapter like the one i pictured

shafferb

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
My only real contribution to this thread is that I got the "free" app called Nexus Media Importer, which I use with a great little OTG cable made by BobJGear (on Amazon). Allows me to seamlessly transfer anything on my USB drive (thumbs ,etc work with no fuss), larger devices have to provision their own power. This is a one-way deal,stuff goes into the N7, but things don't go from the N7 to the thumb. All of which is fine for my needs. Really easy to use, and NO ROOT REQUIRED!

Hope this helps some of us folks.

Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred