Nexus 7 Poor Battery Life

trappem

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a brand new Nexus 7, running very few (if any) apps. Left it turned off for a few days (not plugged in to charger, but definitely OFF), when I tried to turn it back on the battery was completely dead - 0%. Plugged it in to AC adapter, it still will not run even on wall power. Tried the method where you press power and volume down after connecting charger, this brings the screen up for a few seconds but then it shuts down.

Three questions:
Why does the battery die so completely when the device is turned off for a few days?
Why won't it run when it is connected to AC power?
How long should it take to recharge from 0%? I've had it on AC power for an hour and it's up to 3%. At this rate a full recharge will take 30+ hours.

Should I return it as a defective unit? It sure isn't working for me. I like Google, but I'm wondering if I should trade this in for an iPad if they're more reliable.

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
Unfortunately when settings/data usage/restrict background data is enabled my wifi provider (comcast) will not let me access the internet. That is because they keep keeping track of usage.

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately when settings/data usage/restrict background data is enabled my wifi provider (comcast) will not let me access the internet. That is because they keep keeping track of usage.

Not to sure if this restricting background data is the fix for poor battery performance, but it's at least worth a try.......I also have Comcast for an internet provider, but I have no problems accessing the internet, while trying this fix.

geddit

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
trappem
I had the same problem - I just ignored it then last night with the 7 asleep it sent out a loud squeal! I loooked at it - it was HOT and it was dead - would not switch on nor charge. Eventually I got it rebooted but all my downloads had gone and backgrounds changed. And I had all apps and wifi,nfc,location, gps etc etc OFF and was in its 'quiet time' so it should not even be awake. Battery monitor showed a sudden drop from 60% to zero, then recovered. Took it back to Currys for a refund - they seem to have had many of them back. Obviously something radically wrong with the 7.

Patricia Peutrill

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I have read with interest all comments relating to limited battery life on the N7. Bought mine last week and can't get more than a couple of hours usage just using the net. Everything disabled backlight at 20% no apps no widget's. Battery drains when turned off???
Should I return it?

Velvet Smooth

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I ran "cpuspy" for a week to ensure mine was sleeping properly and no apps were keeping it awake in the background. Maybe give that a try for a day or two before returning it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

secretaznman

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
For those with battery problems: Try minimizing how many things (Folders, Apps, Widgets, etc) you guys have on the homescreen. For some odd reason (with my nexus 7 anyways) having a crap load of things on my homescreen caused my display to use up almost 70% of my battery life. It was only fixed when I took some stuff out from the homescreen.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I have read with interest all comments relating to limited battery life on the N7. Bought mine last week and can't get more than a couple of hours usage just using the net. Everything disabled backlight at 20% no apps no widget's. Battery drains when turned off???
Should I return it?

can you provide screenshots of the battery usage page after it has been on for most of the day?

yanks528

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey just want to give a heads up. I was having battery and wifi issues as well. I turned off all the back up options. That definitely doubled my battery life. I also disabled the nfc option under more in settings. I also disabled all of the Google apps like currents, books, Picassa, magazines, movies, music, +, sound search, wallet, Pinyin, face unlock. I removed chrome and use dolphin browser. I lose about 10% battery for each hour of screen use. So that's about the 10 hours of battery life they say you can get with 4.2.2. Before all of that I was losing about 20% for each hour of screen use. I am also rooted . I use autorun manager and disabled the update receiver under google services framework. that seemed to be the big culprit with the wifi issues. It was constantly searching for updates and was causing the wifi dropouts. Just fyi, I downloaded flashplayer apk. And use Mx player as default for video and it plays flash videos perfectly. Hope this helps some of you out there.

chessmck

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
What fixed my battery issues - on my Nexus 7 (went from about one day to 5 days) was to turn off the WiFi battery saver in WiFi settings. Seems with some APs that the deep sleep causes disconnects & reconnects. This problem only happened with the last two system upgrades. Actually on my Xoom, the option is not present.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I usually get five hours screen time. Today I got almost 4.5 hours by watching a few videos, Netflix for about 20 minutes, XM Radio app on for several hours both with screen on and off, and a few phone calls (Yes, I made some calls) here and there and some other apps. I think that's great with the screen on as much I have had it on. You can see when I put it on the charger.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-03-21-37-25.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-03-21-37-25.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_2013-03-03-21-39-46.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-03-21-39-46.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

flacousa

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Brightness is the culprit, I get 6h screen time but my brightness is nowhere near 60%, I find the dimmed screen is easier on my old eyes.

Sent from planet earth

Nexus7_Abe

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
trappem: I've only just come across your message - after posting a new thread on much the same topic. As I understand it, your Nexus also loses its charge when actually 'powered off'. On mine it would take only 4 hours to drain a fully-charged battery completely. My advice is to take it back - hopefully you did not buy it from Currys / PC World. If you have, you'll wish you hadn't!

Last edited:

MaryMR

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Since I only use my tablet an hour or so a day I normally power off between uses. Are you saying that it is best not to power off until I use it again?

MaryMR

May 1, 2011
Visit site
This makes sense; where do you leave them? In Applications? Which would mean that each time I want to access Gmail for example, I would go into Applications and access the mail app there, but not on the home screen...correct?

MaryMR

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Is that the Advanced setting that reads: "WiFi optimization" where one can select for 'on' and deselect for 'off'?
What fixed my battery issues - on my Nexus 7 (went from about one day to 5 days) was to turn off the WiFi battery saver in WiFi settings. Seems with some APs that the deep sleep causes disconnects & reconnects. This problem only happened with the last two system upgrades. Actually on my Xoom, the option is not present.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
My nexus 7 drain its batt from full to 64% without being used in duration of 9 hrs. Is that normal?

I have disabled Google+, turned off location services except when needed, and turn off WiFi when away from a network and in that mode mine dropped 2% in sleep mode over a 10 hour period yesterday.

Greg Chambers

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, I just bought the Nexus 7 yesterday, updated to 4.2.2 and gave it a full charge. I tried a couple games out today and noticed battery decrease at a rate of about 10% per 15-20 minutes. At this rate we'd be looking at 2-3 hours runtime. Is this normal for games or will my battery get better over time?
Secondly, how do I take a screen shot on these devices, let alone upload it from the nexus 7?

Edit: Well that's funny, the store where I bought it had a sale on today. I just exchanged the Nexus 16gb for the Nexus 32gb, same price. Strangely enough, the cost of all their Ipad Minis went even higher.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heavenjean