Nexus 7 Restarting at random

Triceranuke

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
So my girlfriend and I got eachother Nexus 7's for Christmas and opened them yesterday because we're spending the holiday with my family. Mine is working perfectly but hers seems to be rebooting at random. It's only happened twice, the first time shortly after we opened it and we kinda just assumed it was an update and the second time today in the morning while she was checking something online. We noticed when it turned back on that it had a lot of the google (Maps, search, plus, ect) apps updated which I had thought it did before and mine certainly didn't restart when the apps updated. It's only happened those two times and I'm still not sure on the first one due to brushing it off, it's been on all day today with some fairly consistent use and no other restarts.

I googled it and saw this was a known issue with the but couldn't find any posts about it older than november. How often is the problem supposed to happen?

EDIT: We ended up returning it and this one is having the same issue. I noticed that it restarted during the WiFi set up exactly like first one did, but I didn't think too much of it. Now it's restarting every three days or so. Ugh. Don't know what to do.

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central :)
Have you tried a factory reset? You mentioned that the other one didn't have an issue, so I wouldn't say it's a very common problem

Triceranuke

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central :)
Have you tried a factory reset? You mentioned that the other one didn't have an issue, so I wouldn't say it's a very common problem
She's already iffy on the concept of tablets and started really enjoying hers more today, I'm probably freaking out more than her but I want factory reset/return to be a last case scenario thing.
She hates setting tech stuff up and I don't want her to decide it's more trouble than it's worth. Haha.

Plus, when I searched it anyone who was reporting the problem mentioned that factory reset didn't work, though it's still an option if it gets bad.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
She's already iffy on the concept of tablets and started really enjoying hers more today, I'm probably freaking out more than her but I want factory reset/return to be a last case scenario thing.
She hates setting tech stuff up and I don't want her to decide it's more trouble than it's worth. Haha.

Plus, when I searched it anyone who was reporting the problem mentioned that factory reset didn't work, though it's still an option if it gets bad.

If the factory reset doesn't work. You could still flash the factory images, which is a step higher. If you recently bought it, I'd consider returning it for a replacement :)

Posted via Android Central App

Triceranuke

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
I just did the cache partition wipe so hopefully we don't see it happen again and she can just enjoy her new tablet while I fret about it.

Triceranuke

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Once again it's only hers and it doesn't seem to be happening in anything but Words with Friends, and even then a quick press of the home button fixes it.
Still if any of these things pop up again (such as the screen going sued outside of that one app) by the time Christmas is over we'll just change it out

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Swap yours with hers. She'll probably freak out eventually.
I think it's a hardware problem if factory reset doesn't clear out the cruft from upgrading (what I did was do all the updates when I started it for the first time, then, did a factory reset to make sure there wasn't any old stuff). You should exchange it for a different ont if this doesn't fix it. I had a similar problem w/ random reboots and battery drains (it shut down randomly w/ 80% left on battery) when the N7FHD came out initially, but the current one I have is great.

Triceranuke

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Well there have been no issues at all since Monday so I'm hoping everything is good. Thanks everyone, and Merry Christmas!

I'll update if anything happens with it and we have to return

Triceranuke

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
We ended up returning it and this one is having the same issue. I noticed that it restarted during the WiFi set up exactly like first one did, but I didn't think too much of it. Now it's restarting every three days or so. Ugh. Don't know what to do.

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
No restart, but it did just randomly freak out during words with friends and the screen started spazzing out but fixed itself after hitting out of the app, so that might be an app issue

That's happened to me with WWF a few times, but intermittently. I suspect it's an issue with the app.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried booting the problem device into Safe Mode? This can help to narrow the problem down to a 3rd party app vs the system or hardware. Safe Mode disables all 3rd party apps that you may have installed. If you continue to get restarts, then it's probably an issue with the system or with the hardware. If the restarts stop, then it's probably some app that you installed. Instructions here: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
We ended up returning it and this one is having the same issue. I noticed that it restarted during the WiFi set up exactly like first one did, but I didn't think too much of it. Now it's restarting every three days or so. Ugh. Don't know what to do.

Shoot for a 3rd, many have done it. I got lucky I guess, I got a decent one on my 2nd.

Paul Caskey

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I've had the 2013-gen Nexus 7 now for maybe 9 months. I keep hoping "the next update" will fix this random crash/reboot problem. But it doesn't. What a pain in the neck. Is this really a rare issue, or is it common? Meaning, I should really try exchanging the hardware?!? The whole system is just very fragile. Some days I run a particular app, and that seems to crash, and bring down the whole tablet. Other days, like now, the tablet was just sitting on my desk, charging, doing nothing. Bam - Reboot. I probably don't even know how often it's doing this! Crazy!

I've never rooted this system. I turned off auto-updates: no difference. I did a complete reset months ago, and have been slow to add apps, since then. No difference. I *think* it's better if I avoid 5GHz WIFI, but that's probably just another shot in the dark. This is my first-ever Android device. Not leaving a good taste in my mouth!

Shoot for a 3rd, many have done it. I got lucky I guess, I got a decent one on my 2nd.

Are you serious? MANY HAVE DONE IT?? This is NUTS! What a lemon! :eek:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary