Nexus 7 stuck on Google logo screen on boot up

fozzibab

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Howdy,

Sorry to dredge this post up yet again, however I'm suffering from the same (albeit a more serious) version of this thread's topic and can't find a solid method of getting around it.

Easy bullet points!

• Have a 2013 Nexus 7
  • Was working fine, but now suddenly hangs on the Google Logo on boot.
  • Can load up the Recovery Menu, however when I attempt to boot into Recovery Mode, the tablet simply cycles back to the Google Logo.
  • Since the device continually cycles to the Google logo, I'm unable to perform a cache partition wipe (the device never shows the "no command" screen when attempting to boot into recovery).
  • Additionally, when I plug the tablet into my PC on the Recovery Menu, the drivers aren't recognized. I'm assuming this is due to the tablet's OS not loading correctly. Uninstalling the drivers and plugging in the tablet doesn't help either, as it simply fails to install the drivers over and over again. I can't access the device from a computer, essentially.

I'm thinking a complete factory reset is my only option at this point to salvage the device, as this bootloop seems to be preventing me from recovering my existing data. If anyone has any solutions I haven't tried yet, or questions I can answer to help with figuring one out, I'd appreciate it.

sandusky

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
After having the same issue for at least 6 months reading this thread, it seems pointless to try to fix this problem. I may try to threaten Google to get a replacement, that seems to be a viable option. I can't believe how many effin' handheld computers, iPods, and phones I have in my drawer. The newness is wearing off, and now we have got to demand they make these products to last longer than a year. Not everyone has the cash to replace their POS for the next model or every time it breaks. I am very disappointed. End of whining.

DavidE1

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Mine locked in September while downloading an app from the Google Play Store. Nothing I've done to fix it had worked. My cheaper ASUS MeMo pad 7 still works. Seems like the problem is rampant on the Google N7 2013.

John Parichay

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem as fozzibab. I wonder if this issue is caused by lollipop. I had been having lag issues ever since updating & and a few days before this happened the tablet would freeze and turn off by itself.

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
My 2013 Nexus 7 is also getting stuck on the Google screen. It was fine last night after doing some reading before going to sleep. The battery was really low. So, I plugged it in and went to sleep. Then during the night I woke up and saw that it was on the Google screen. I figured it had just done a random reboot - which would have been a very abnormal thing for it to do. So I left it alone to let it finish booting up and went back to sleep. But then an hour or so later I woke up again and saw it still on the Google screen. I then held the power button down and unplugged it.

I tried the Restart bootloader and Recoverey mode options and they both did the same thing. It is definitely out of warranty. I really don't have time to deal with this by calling Asus right now. I assume I will be told the same thing as others have been told about the main board needing to be replaced at the cost of $200. Which I would definitely not do since it isn't worth it.

I am really disappointed about this...

DeusEx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Asus will tell you that it could cost up to $200 to repair, but they won't repair unless you authorize and provide a credit card number. In my case, they repaired it free of charge even though I was out of warranty. Asus didn't explain why it was repaired free of charge, but I'm guessing that the Lollipop update that has been bricking devices is a known issue...

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
DeusEx,

How far out of warranty was your Nexus 7 when you sent it to Asus? I bought my N7 the week it was released. So, mine is way out of warranty. But I will sill try to call Asus and see what they say...

Paul

DeusEx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I bought it a day or two before the official launch from Best Buy so I believe my tablet was about 5 months past the warranty expiration date.

GrillMouster

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I bought my N7 2013 on launch day, so it's way out of the warranty period. I recently got a N9 for myself, so I tried to factory reset the 2013 N7 (running Android 5.01), planning on giving it to my son. That's when it got stuck at the Google boot logo. I could force it to the bootloader, but from there every option (reboot, recovery, etc.) resulted in a boot loop that got stuck at the Google logo. I couldn't even get to stock recovery. So far, neither of the two 2012 N7s in our household have had this problem, although they both slowed down after being upgraded to Android 5.0 and 5.01, but improved after being upgraded to 5.02 and factory reset.

I called Asus support. The agent said that it was well over the warranty, and that I could send it in and in two weeks I'd get an email quoting the repair cost, at which point I could decide whether to proceed. I agreed, gave him the serial number, and he emailed me a free FexEx RMA return label and instructions. I sent it to the Texas facility about a week and a half ago, and yesterday afternoon I received a notification from FedEx (not Asus) that I have a package sent to me from that same facility. Right now I'm thinking that one of three things happened:
1) They repaired the tablet for free, despite it being out of warranty
2) They sent a replacement tablet for free, despite it being out of warranty
3) They've returned the original tablet, still broken, because it's out of warranty.

I'll update when the tablet arrives next week (estimated arrival is Tuesday).

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I bought my N7 2013 on launch day, so it's way out of the warranty period. I recently got a N9 for myself, so I tried to factory reset the 2013 N7 (running Android 5.01), planning on giving it to my son. That's when it got stuck at the Google boot logo. I could force it to the bootloader, but from there every option (reboot, recovery, etc.) resulted in a boot loop that got stuck at the Google logo. I couldn't even get to stock recovery. So far, neither of the two 2012 N7s in our household have had this problem, although they both slowed down after being upgraded to Android 5.0 and 5.01, but improved after being upgraded to 5.02 and factory reset.

I called Asus support. The agent said that it was well over the warranty, and that I could send it in and in two weeks I'd get an email quoting the repair cost, at which point I could decide whether to proceed. I agreed, gave him the serial number, and he emailed me a free FexEx RMA return label and instructions. I sent it to the Texas facility about a week and a half ago, and yesterday afternoon I received a notification from FedEx (not Asus) that I have a package sent to me from that same facility. Right now I'm thinking that one of three things happened:
1) They repaired the tablet for free, despite it being out of warranty
2) They sent a replacement tablet for free, despite it being out of warranty
3) They've returned the original tablet, still broken, because it's out of warranty.

I'll update when the tablet arrives next week (estimated arrival is Tuesday).
Wow! That is good news for you (hopefully!)

How did you get then to send you a FedEX return label? They didn't send one to me. Mine is boxed up ready to go to. I was planning to bring it to the UPS store today and ship it at my cost. But if I can get a shipping label and ship it for free, that would would be great!

PapaGUnit

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
As of today, welcome me to the club!
Just updated to 5.0.1 (or 2, don't quite remember). Next morning it was stuck on the Google boot and I didn't power it down last night. Usual mounting problems after accessing recovery mode. From what I see here, I should send a request to Asus.

aliengravy

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Same thing... woke up this morning, stuck on the white Google logo. Seems to be a common problem. No one has a fix yet.

Will ADB save it do you think?

Mamelinos Liak

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
people it will sound a bit stupid but i ll say it.i just got this problem after my battery got low 3 hours before.i left in 10 min at charging then turned it on and left it like this frozen in google screen for 5 min.after 5 min i worked just fine

rans42

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem and I have left mine for hours and it did not start working. I sent it in, got a $200 quote to replace board and protested saying please return it. The page with the proposed repairs and cost is now inaccessible. I am waiting to see what happens. No way am I paying $200.

PapaGUnit

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
GrillMouster mentioned he was waiting to get one for free....anyone else have a similar story? Because the $200 repair option is ridiculous...might as well buy a HP Stream 7 for $100. My roommate has one and I'm shocked at how decent it is.
Still pissed how just after a year and a half it dies, probably because of the OS update. Really? The official OS kills my device? I'd feel better if I bricked it through my own tweakings.

Steve EE

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
After over a year of reliable use, the recent Lollipop update cause some odd behaviour from my N7 2013... First after a few days, the auto rotate stops working (a reboot usually gets it back, but not always), then after a few days it locks up (no touch screen) and a hard power reset gets stuck at the Google logo..

After a couple of these I down graded to KK, complete wipe... No problems... Now with 5.0.2 I thought I'd try Lollipop again... It took about a week, and it started doing it again.

The really weird thing is, once it gets stuck in the Google logo "can't boot" (I can go into the boot menu, but won't go into recovery - gets stuck on Google again), there's a way I can always get it working. Hard power off, open it up, unclip and reseat the touchscreen cable (the thinner of the two cables across the back of the battery)... Then it's be straight back up and running perfectly.

I suspect that something in the boot sequence is trying to initialise the touch screen, and not handling an error state properly, causing it to hang... Fix the cable and it's fine again.

I'll replace the cable at some point I'm sure.

EricInDayton

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
I too have this problem. My Next 7 (2013) was working perfectly for about a week after the Android 5.0 update. Then one morning about two weeks ago it had powered off. Now every time I turn it on it's just stuck at the Google logo. Can't even get it to do a Factory reset or a hard reset. Of course it is 1 year and 1 month since I purchased it from the Google store so it is just out of the warranty period.

Since so many people are having this trouble the problem would seem to be systemic. Sounds like a prime situation for a class action lawsuit. Anyone know a decent lawyer? Perhaps we could force Asus to replace all the defective units.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would advise in the future to buy with a card like amex that extends the factory warranty one year

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Katerina Ivanova1

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I have the same problem with my Nexus 7. I already did everything I read in the forum but still not working. I called Google, they told me they can't help and told me to contact ASUS. I wrote ASUS, they told me to write to some support team. When I was filling the application it turned out it is just for England and Ireland and i do not live there. So no matter if I am in warranty period or out of it there is no one there who want to help me. I use to be a big fan of ASUS but probably not any more, especially after all this!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair