Nexus 7 stuck on Google logo screen on boot up

Atiya

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
HOLY ATIYA!!!! I just did what the poster commented above about bumping it.. and IT WORKED :)
Such a primitive way to make it work.. but thank god it did

Senthilkumar K

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Nexus (ASUS manufactured) models stuck on Google screen

Nexus 7 3G 32GB 2012 Model

My device is working fine till yesterday (19th April 2015) from the date of purchase (3rd October 2013). I am using this device for around 18 months without any issues. Recently (one week before) I have updated it to Android 5.1.
Yesterday (19th April 2015) afternoon I have plugged in for charging the device. After hours while removing it from the charger I have noticed that it is in nexus logo screen.
I thought that the device would have restarted, so i have kept it for a while. After 2 to 3 hours it is still in nexus logo screen without any change.
I have switched off the device and switched on. Then the device is not booting after Google & nexus logo screen.
I have tried switch off and switch on for 4 to 5 times but there is no progress. Device is not booting after Google & nexus logo screen.
Today (20th April 2015) morning, I have contacted ASUS Customer support team; they have asked me to do the wipe data/factory reset. After doing the wipe data/factory reset, the device is behaving wired like switching on, Google logo screen comes and switching off repeatedly (rebooting again and again but not going beyond Google logo screen).
Then I have taken my device to ASUS service center, registered the issue and raised an RMA. Now I am waiting for the repair cost quotation from ASUS service center.
Today (20th April 2015) evening, I have checked in Google to know how many devices are affected with the same issue and shocked that most of the Nexus 7 devices are affected.
Agitated users have also taken to Twitter to post complains about their bricked Nexus devices with the hashtag - #NEXUS7BRICKED
Please post these issues in various media until Google or ASUS is responding to this issue and fixing the affected device with free of cost.
Thanks & Regards,
Senthilkumar K

Randeezel

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Mine is having the same problem as everyone else here. Worked perfectly fine all day, watching Netflix when it suddenly froze on me. Did a hard reset and got stuck on Google logo startup screen. Booted into recovery, wiped the cache partition and did a factory reset, though both actions were rife with error messages. Still stuck. Will contact Asus tomorrow, but not holding my breath. I'm about six months out of warranty at this point. Safe to say I will not be purchasing another Nexus branded device again.

linelendur

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Is this a issue with all 2013 N7s or is it only wifi N7s or the wifi/LTE N7s.

In my case, a 2013 LTE N7.

Same symptoms as elsewhere - it's been on 5.0.2 since I think January when they finally released it for my SKU.
When I picked it up on April 15, it would only boot to the white Google logo. Going through hard resets, cache partition clearing, etc, all thwarted b/c while I can get to the first recovery (or whichever it's called) screen, once I select something it hangs, again, on the white Google logo. Tried tapping the side, tried taking out of the factory case (not, I think, magnetic), tried using wugfresh's Nexus Root Toolkit - nothing.
I haven't pried open the case itself - yet. I finally got those tools in, so I'll try...but my hopes are not high.
Bought it of eBay, so ain't nobody gonna fix or replace it for me.
The **** thing is, not only is there little in the $200 price range right now, for LTE there isn't even much in the $400 price range! Like, except last year's iPad mini...

EDIT: That is, LTE tablets at that price range for T-Mo bands.
EDIT 2: Sorry, 5.0.2 - I'd said 5.0.1

Last edited:

xoxome

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
You guys should try sending it in for repair. My Nexus was way out of warranty but they fixed it. I bought it August 2013 and after it updated to Kit Kat or whatever it was in November/December 2014 it stopped working. I assumed since it was more than a year since I bought it that the warranty had expired so I didn't even consider trying to get it fixed. A few weeks ago I decided I was in the market for a new tablet and was about to buy one but I figured I would try to fix my Nexus first before spending money. I spoke to the asus online chat service and they couldn't remedy the situation so they said I could send it in for repair. The online representative mentioned to me how my tablet was out of warranty and there was a possibility I would have to pay for the repair. They issued me a rma#, I sent it in by USPS on 4/20 and received it yesterday and it was in working order. No charge whatsoever. So people give it a try and send it in.

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
You guys should try sending it in for repair. My Nexus was way out of warranty but they fixed it. I bought it August 2013 and after it updated to Kit Kat or whatever it was in November/December 2014 it stopped working.
Thanks for your post, which other people may find very helpful. However, I suspect you're mistaken about the update being KitKat. I think by Nov/Dec 2014 the Nexus 2013 would have updated to 5.0, Lollipop. There have been a LOT of complaints about Lollipop, on this forum and elsewhere.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
You guys should try sending it in for repair. My Nexus was way out of warranty but they fixed it. I bought it August 2013 and after it updated to Kit Kat or whatever it was in November/December 2014 it stopped working. I assumed since it was more than a year since I bought it that the warranty had expired so I didn't even consider trying to get it fixed. A few weeks ago I decided I was in the market for a new tablet and was about to buy one but I figured I would try to fix my Nexus first before spending money. I spoke to the asus online chat service and they couldn't remedy the situation so they said I could send it in for repair. The online representative mentioned to me how my tablet was out of warranty and there was a possibility I would have to pay for the repair. They issued me a rma#, I sent it in by USPS on 4/20 and received it yesterday and it was in working order. No charge whatsoever. So people give it a try and send it in.

Many of us have. Apparently yours was able to be factory reset. Many of us have done everything possible to do a factory reset, and it will not work. A motherboard replacement is required. It may be worth a try, but it's a ~$15 gamble to pay for the shipping to get the quote and hope for a free repair.

I'm one who is not convinced it's Lollipop that's the real issue, but it seems more likely to be faulty flash storage. The problem may be accelerated by Lollipop, though. For example, if something is causing rapid read/write cycles on a certain part of the memory until it's no longer able to be rewritten.

xoxome

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure if I made it clear in my post but my tablet would just hang on the Google logo like everyone elses. It started acting up shortly after I updated the software to Lollipop as someone else corrected me earlier. I tried to do a factory reset and it would always just hang on the Google screen. Regardless of whatever I did or how long I waited or what option I took it would never boot up. I tried everything including gently hitting it on on its side like an earlier post mentioned. For those interested, shipping through USPS was only $5.95 priority mail box. Also they will not go ahead with a repair that needs to be paid without your consent and if you refuse they will simply send it back to you via Fedex.

bmoliver

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Well, it just happened to my N7 2013 32 GB wifi. Tablet stopped overnight and when restarted would just stick on the Google logo screen. Have tried all the various suggestions with no luck. I can boot into recover, but cannot do either a clear cache or a system reset (get memory access errors). I also booted into Bootloader mode and tried using NRT to Flash Stock + Unroot, but again no success. NRT reckonizes the device as a Fastboot Device but cannot load any of the files needed to flash stock (again, memory write errors). Right now it is trying to erase the system, and has been for about an hour. The previous operations of writing the bootloader, writing boot, and writing recovery all failed with a "flash write failure" error.

Seems a lot of others are just now starting to experience the same failure after upgrading to Lollipop. Mine was upgrade to 5.0 then 5.0.1 the 5.0.2 and finally to 5.1 a week or so ago.

Several users reporting ‘bricked’ Nexus 7 devices following Lollipop OTA updates, Nexus 5 seemingly affected too | 9to5Google

Brian

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I just joined the club as well. Yesterday, i was using it like any other day, and the tablet locked up, and it is know stuck ont he google screen.
It is failing to mount files, etc. I havent tried hooking it up to a PC yet, but from what I'm reading, maybe I should think about getting another tablet.... :( So sad... I really like my (now-dead) Nexus 7 2013... :(

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I just joined the club as well. Yesterday, i was using it like any other day, and the tablet locked up, and it is know stuck ont he google screen.
It is failing to mount files, etc. I havent tried hooking it up to a PC yet, but from what I'm reading, maybe I should think about getting another tablet.... :( So sad... I really like my (now-dead) Nexus 7 2013... :(

Try a few more things via USB first, consider sending it to ASUS just in case ($6-15 shipping cost gamble), and consider a DIY mobo swap.

bmoliver

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Well, it just happened to my N7 2013 32 GB wifi. Tablet stopped overnight and when restarted would just stick on the Google logo screen. Have tried all the various suggestions with no luck. I can boot into recover, but cannot do either a clear cache or a system reset (get memory access errors). I also booted into Bootloader mode and tried using NRT to Flash Stock + Unroot, but again no success. NRT reckonizes the device as a Fastboot Device but cannot load any of the files needed to flash stock (again, memory write errors). Right now it is trying to erase the system, and has been for about an hour. The previous operations of writing the bootloader, writing boot, and writing recovery all failed with a "flash write failure" error.

Seems a lot of others are just now starting to experience the same failure after upgrading to Lollipop. Mine was upgrade to 5.0 then 5.0.1 the 5.0.2 and finally to 5.1 a week or so ago.

Several users reporting ‘bricked’ Nexus 7 devices following Lollipop OTA updates, Nexus 5 seemingly affected too | 9to5Google

Brian

Not counting on an ASUS or Google fix so just ordered a ME572C-A1-BK from Best Buy for much less than the cost of fixing the N7. Has the same screen as the N7 2013, so should be reasonable.

Brian

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Its the older model Nexus 7. I had one and it did the exact same thing. It needs to be taken back, there's something wrong with the processer. That's what Asus told me. Thank god I had a warranty!

Posted via the Android Central App

Gabranth

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Just happened to me too yesterday.
First, touch screen became unresponsive.
After restart, stuck on google logo.

Search google, found this thread.
Someone here suggested to knock the backside of nexus 7.

I did that and...Boom!!!
Google boot animation appeared.
My nexus 7 2013 is ok for now.

Rcherm

May 17, 2015
Visit site
The tap on the left side worked for me! My tablet went out of the google screen and started booting and now works normally (prob until the problen reoccurs). Thanks for posting this nhowieson!!

krunalvala9

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Just happened to me too yesterday. First, touch screen became unresponsive. After restart, stuck on google logo.

Search google, found this thread. Someone here suggested to knock the backside of nexus 7.

I did that and...Boom!!! Google boot animation appeared. My nexus 7 2013 is ok for now

Solution by Gabranth

it does sound weird but now my nexus 7 is working fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia