Nexus 9 a little long in the tooth?

Matt34Bears

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
We are approaching the half-year anniversary of the Nexus 9...is it too old of a tablet to buy now? I have an Asus tf300 from 2012 and I'm looking to upgrade. Would it be better to wait for the next nexus tablet to come out this fall?

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
If you get one without issues, then I'd say the answer is get one now if you can. Mine is still awesome.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
There's not much out there right now in the same form factor and user experience, and I still would buy a N9 if I was in the market for a new tablet, just do some digging for deals, if you can get one for under $300 the question becomes easier to answer with a resounding yes.

The 2013 N7 should get updated through the M release, and there's always the Nvidia Shield if you like 7" form.

As a recovering Samsung owner though, I'd stay away from Samsung tablets, as the lack of long term (>12mo) OS and look/feel tend to date those much more quickly.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
There's not much out there right now in the same form factor and user experience, and I still would buy a N9 if I was in the market for a new tablet, just do some digging for deals, if you can get one for under $300 the question becomes easier to answer with a resounding yes.

The 2013 N7 should get updated through the M release, and there's always the Nvidia Shield if you like 7" form.

The Shield Tablet is an 8 inch tablet.

Jeff3545

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I find this hard to believe, my nexus 9 is frustratingly slow compared to the n7 that I replaced, and considerably slower in side-by-side tests with my n6. My hope is that 5.1 solves whatever performance issues (e.g. memory leaks).

Still probably the fastest (or one of the fastest) Android tablets out now. Best buy has a $75 off sale for the time being.

fm123

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I find this hard to believe, my nexus 9 is frustratingly slow compared to the n7 that I replaced, and considerably slower in side-by-side tests with my n6. My hope is that 5.1 solves whatever performance issues (e.g. memory leaks).

Well, I evaluated it by running apps, not browsing around on the homescreen and switching between apps. Games like Skylanders Trap Team, Oddworld, World of Tanks Blitz all run very, very well. The system has only 2 CPUs so it may not be as good at multitasking as you switch around between apps. Inside an app it runs pretty well. Opened Word files of 10-20 MB without much lag and had an Excel file with about 1 million calc cells, which recalc almost instantly. Also, ran Google PDF book/magazine tests using scanned magazines of around 300-600 dpi. Some take 2-4 seconds on a i5 desktop CPU, but the Nexus 9 could render them maybe only 20% slower, other files almost as fast as the i5.

I am hoping for fixes and improvements as they optimize on 64 bit, but it could take some time.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I would not buy one now, the Z4 tablet is right around the corner or the Nvidia Shield is here now and performs better.

It's getting close to six months for the N9 and the thing has never run right for me. Given all my other nexus experiences I can't believe google let this thing hang.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
It is the first 64bit, HTC tablet, etc ... I'm not surprised its languished more so than others, hopefully it'll get better, but I agree for a nexus device this has been truly unsatisfactory.

fm123

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
had an Excel file with about 1 million calc cells, which recalc almost instantly. ...

I am hoping for fixes and improvements as they optimize on 64 bit, but it could take some time.

Just a correction here, the spreadsheet had only 100,000 cells. I miscounted. After changing it to 1 million cells, the recalc took about 2.5 seconds. On the i5-2400 I used to make the spreadsheet the recalc was about 2 seconds. The raw power is there, but it needs some optimization time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danny2024