Nexus Specs released

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The Bionic has the 4430. I'm glad I sent that back. Not because of the processor, just would have wasted my upgrade when all I've ever wanted was a Nexus on Verizon. Didn't you have a Bionic for a little bit, too?

Good phone overall... just couldn't pass up the opportunity to have an LTE Nexus on Verizon. Woooo!! :-D

*customized tapatalk signature*

I really liked the Bionic. I had two of them. I wasn't crazy about the connectivity issues I had with the second one. If I was drenched in LTE, prolly would still have it. But now that that time has come and gone, and with the recent news of the prime being a true nexus, I am happy for this device and verizon costumers. Some things about the device (not going to mention) are going to have me at a pass on this one. Should be killer fun though. I better mention it so people think I am not dissing the phone. My one kid is getting a cell phone and Sprint is just way more friendly to adding lines and data. That is all. The prime is a beast, and I look forward to the Joy it brings those on VZW.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Im still not sold on the Galaxy Nexus as the name. Panda has been saying #primekills. Im holding out hope that Verizon will call it the prime and the other carriers will call it the Galaxy Nexus.

As for specs.

Wow, are we really getting mad it had a 1.2GHZ DUAL CORE processor compared to a 1.5? If you want it that bd, overclock. But 1.2 will be just a awesome.

32GB of built in storage is CRAZY! lol So im assuming it wont come with a sd card. That's cool. You better believe i still have my Thunderbolts 32GB card. which will give me 64GB TOTAL. Insane.

At 5megapixels this leads me to believe they have put it better optics. If true this phone may have near iphone 4 quality. I'll take that over 8mp anyday.

And that's a pretty nice sized battery. And with stock ICS im fully expecting this phone to last throught the day.

My only question now is is it metal and what will the extended battery look like. Im a very heavy user. lol Still excited.

Last edited:

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Im still not sold on the Galaxy Nexus as the name. Panda has been saying #primekills. Im holding out hope that Verizon will call it the prime and the other carriers will call it the Galaxy Nexus.

And with stock GB im fully expecting this phone to last throught the day.

Prime could be just a code name but then the VZW version could be labeled a Droid phone...who really knows at this point.

Also, you do mean stock ICS right? O:)

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
You capitalize dual core as if it's an amazing thing, when quad core is just around the corner.

Quad Core isn't the point because we knew it wasn't having that.

The phone was thought to be a 1.5GHZ dc. Instead it's 1.2 I find it hard to believe folks are mad about that. In real world usage the phone will be just as fast.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
You capitalize dual core as if it's an amazing thing, when quad core is just around the corner.

Well it still is an amazing thing. I thought quad core for phones won't be ready till early next year? I know we are expecting tablets at the end of this one at least.

BoostHungry

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Although the media is running with these released specs I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

I do not want a 1.2Ghz TI OMAP 4460 with its outdated and out performed PowerVR GPU. I'm dreaming over the new Exynos 4212 but I know its a serious reach to think it could be in the Nexus Prime.

Also I know MP is just a chunk of the equation, 5MP rear camera? No.

Come on Samsung, do NOT disappoint me.

dcgore

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I do not want a 1.2Ghz TI OMAP 4460 with its outdated and out performed PowerVR GPU. I'm dreaming over the new Exynos 4212 but I know its a serious reach to think it could be in the Nexus Prime.

Why going with a TI vs. an inhouse chip? is it because of LTE?

rrhartjr

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Although the media is running with these released specs I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

The SGX540 might not be the newest thing on the block, but its a GPU that is well-known and has been strongly optimized for..

ICS is bringing GPU acceleration to the UI and Samsung has done a very good job of that with the Hummingbird SoC (which uses the SGX540)..

It's also clocked much faster than the one in the 4430 and the one in the Hummingbird..

Also, its BGR.. so it's probably completely offbase.

Knips178

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
What about how carriers handled the GS2 release in the states? Each had their own interpretation of the device. Sprint even bumped the screen size out of nowhere.

Anyone else think this could be the same where VZW puts out the stock version first then ATT and Sprint release their revised versions a month or two later? Maybe they bump the camera or processor speed slightly....maybe a battery bump?

Seems like VZW will get the LTE love from the get go but others won't. Maybe that's the exclusive part. ATT gets HSPA+ only.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

I'm sorry - maybe I'm missing something - but how is everyone so certain that the TI OMAP 4460, which has not been used in ANY phone yet, to my understanding, is somehow outdated and outperformed?

Yes, we all know the Exynos in the GSII works well with that phone. But do you really think Samsung/Google would plug an OMAP chip into this Nexus if it was going to underperform? I sure don't. This is not the GSII. It's running a brand new OS, on completely different hardware, with LTE. Until any of us get our hands on it with an OMAP, I'm going to reserve any criticsm of the chip seeing as how none of us have used it.

rrhartjr

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry - maybe I'm missing something - but how is everyone so certain that the TI OMAP 4460, which has not been used in ANY phone yet, to my understanding, is somehow outdated and outperformed?

I'm sorry, you sound like a rational person with a voice of reason.. I don't think you belong here..

This is a forum for apoplectic freakouts mixed with lots of unfounded speculation taken as cold hard fact.

Last Ride

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

And you dismiss dual core as if it's yesterday's news. Quad core might be just around the corner, but the software hasn't even been optimized for dual core yet. I wouldn't get too worked up about these specs at this point. Real world performance is where it's at.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Do you think chips are overrated? I sometimes do with the way devs develop on what seems to be "old hardware." I am still considering a nexus s4g. Can't beat free. So how long before ICS comes to the nexus line of yesterday?

Clock speeds are like MP on cameras - more does not necessarily translate into better between different phones. And since the next Nexus will be completely optimized for ICS thanks to Google, im willing to bet it will be faster than other phones with higher CPU speeds for quite a while.

Sent from my Nexus S

Reactions: oxymoron and Johnly

rraman3110

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
if this device is truly exclusive to Verizon, I might drop Sprint and go to Verizon to get this device or just get the Epic Touch.

I like the cheaper sprint bill, but since the device looks to be LTE capable and not WiMax capable I might have to change to Verizon. Paying another $30.00 more for Verizon's better service is manageable, but that additional cost does add up quickly and sometimes may not be worth it.

I believe for sprint you are looking at $79.99 for unlimited text and data, and 450 min, and free calls to any mobile number.

Verizon is around $89.99 for unlimited text, 2gb of data, and 450 min

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I too am feeling underwhelmed by the specs. Yeah yeah yeah specs aren't everything but we all prefer better. Yeah 5 mp with a great sensor is okay, but why not 8 with a great sensor??? 1.3 mp front facing, why not 2? I mean if you can do, it why not do it? If the 4460 runs at 1.5, why run it at 1.2? A gorgeous woman with A cups or a gorgeous woman with C cups? Same concept lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shadowbear