No IM (SMS,BBM,Email,Slack) when conversation is open

whenever

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
My new KeyOne does not provide notifications when a new message comes in for the conversation that is open. Apparently this is a Nougat feature which is supposed to make our experience better. Unfortunately it means that I am constantly missing messages. Generally, I send a message and put the phone down, put the phone in my pocket or go back to what I was doing on my computer. This has worked well for the last 15 years with pretty much every technology (desktop, BB, WindowsPhone, Iphone) and every IM system (BBM,Yahoo, Slack, Skype...) . When a new message I get a notification and go back to the conversation to reply, simple and effective

but not with Nougat (unless I immediately close the conversation and I have gone as setting up an automatic feature to close every IM app as soon as the screen goes dark)

I miss several messages everyday and only notice them (10 minutes or an hour later) when I go back to the conversation wondering why they've not replied. Even if the screen is dark but the conversation is open there is no notification.

Has anyone found a way to get a notification for every IM on Nougat. I can't believe my most advanced phone has the worst notification capability I've ever used, the old pagers were better, at least you knew when a message arrived.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think some 3rd party SMS apps can give you notifications even when you have that thread open -- try Textra or Verizon's Messages app (which I think can be used for any phone, not just Verizon's).

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I noticed that problem. Not sure if it was a generic android 7 problem or specific to my SMS app.

I use Textra for SMS. It eventually gave the option to notify when the conversation was open, which I turned on. I also got in the habit of not leaving the conversation open in any messaging app.

whenever

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for taking so long to thank you for your answers, I kept opening up on the answer page and there's no way to comment there.

Thank you, Textra has solved my TXT issue and yes, I try to remember to close conversations quickly

The irony of having to modify your behaviour to overcome a deficiency in one of the most important purpose of my phone (Notifying me when I have messages) is just too rich. Now I have to automate my procedures and behaviors because the Nougat designers are too ignorant to realize that some people are not constantly staring at their phones waiting for the next message to come in because the phone will not let them know when it happens.

I still have 4 more messaging apps to find a solution for. Hopefully they will overcome the weakness of Nougat (talking to friend that has an Oreo device, this cripling of notifications is continued in Oreo). I guess I could be delusional and believe that Goggle will actually fix this problem.

Cheers

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa