No more separate notification tones in Oreo?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Galaxy S8. With the recent operating system update, it removed all of my personalized text notification tones. They are now all the same. I cannot figure out how to change them back. Anyone have a clue?

tjgriffin

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about the Samsung Messages, but I was having this problem in Google Messages. I could not set a notification tone for Messages that was different from the system default. In the obvious place, Messages -> Three dots -> Settings -> Notifications, there is a setting for Sound, but it doesn't change the sound. Looking at the top of that page, it says, "Other notifications," i think meaning other sounds within Messages. I DID find a way to set a non-default sound for an individual conversation. Two ways actually. But it appears to set it for all conversations I have set for each separately.

Two ways: 1) Open Google Messages, go to the conversation list. Select the conversation you want to change the sound for. Then tap the three dots menu -> People & Options -> Notifications -> Sound and pick the sound you want. 2) Go to System Settings -> Apps -> (Google) Messages -> Notifications (under App Settings). There will be a list of conversations with toggles. You can turn on or off sounds individual conversations by tapping the toggle. If you tap the name of the conversation, the Sound, you can pick then sound for that conversation.

Hope this helps!

MJazzy

Sep 19, 2018
Visit site
It sounds like Google Contacts does not allow for individual customized text tones for each user. What about Android Messages? I see that Textra definitely allows this. If I install Textra, will I lose the messages I already have in my Samsung Messaging app? Or will those messages transfer over?

shabenz44

May 31, 2018
Visit site
I still have the option on my lg after updating. When you go into the edit of the contact, you have to find the more button, it gives you extra options of things to edit (including ringtones).

RadovanovicS20

Oct 10, 2018
Visit site
Here is a solution

Try this :
1. Open samsung default messages app.
2. Go to the three dots on the top right of the screen.
3. Chose settings.
4. Click on notifications.
5. Click on general notifications.
6. Then click on sound, and chose your notification sound.

And that's it... I Hope this works for you... By the way I'm using Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) running on Android 8.1

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Here is a solution

Try this :
1. Open samsung default messages app.
2. Go to the three dots on the top right of the screen.
3. Chose settings.
4. Click on notifications.
5. Click on general notifications.
6. Then click on sound, and chose your notification sound.

And that's it... I Hope this works for you... By the way I'm using Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) running on Android 8.1

That works for the same tone for every contact. People are/were looking for different tones for each contact, and how to do this was described in the 3.5 pages of the thread prior to your reply.

Rascallybear

Oct 3, 2018
Visit site
This nonsense is still a live issue.

Completely rediculous!

If I'm to remain with Android and Samsung, this needs an immediate fix, as my business security systems notify me of the burglar alarm via text message. Without being able to assign an unmissable Alarm Ringtone -- a Police Siren -- I'll be trashing the smartphone and Google / Samsung have lost a customer.

Rick Gatethorn

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
This nonsense is still a live issue.

Completely rediculous!

If I'm to remain with Android and Samsung, this needs an immediate fix, as my business security systems notify me of the burglar alarm via text message. Without being able to assign an unmissable Alarm Ringtone -- a Police Siren -- I'll be trashing the smartphone and Google / Samsung have lost a customer.

Rick Gatethorn

Have you read the rest of the thread? Did you see the suggestions provided? Have you tried them? Samsung even update their messaging app to add the per-thread tone (though I am unable to say for certain if this update made it to all Samsung devices).

The bottom line is that there ARE ways to accomplish your goal, but you need to be willing to do a small amount of leg-work to get there.

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I just in the past few days took delivery of a new Note 9 and found the bug of losing my text tones for individuals. I've read the "suggestions" and while it's a stopgap measure, it doesn't work for me. The technique everyone describes assigned tones to the CONVERSATION, not the INDIVIDUAL. If I have a group conversation running with 3-4 people in the group, it's all my default tone. Not the individuals tone. So to me, the text tone assigned to the conversation I'd totally useless to me.

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
Ok, I just in the past few days took delivery of a new Note 9 and found the bug of losing my text tones for individuals. I've read the "suggestions" and while it's a stopgap measure, it doesn't work for me. The technique everyone describes assigned tones to the CONVERSATION, not the INDIVIDUAL. If I have a group conversation running with 3-4 people in the group, it's all my default tone. Not the individuals tone. So to me, the text tone assigned to the conversation I'd totally useless to me.

3333333 (1).jpg

I have an S9+ and you can set individual tone on it?

Last edited:

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
In a group conversation, I have multiple people in the conversation. The custom setting for the notification is for the conversation thread, not the individual. I can tag the thread for the CONVERSATION with a specific tone, but not the PERSON. I can have a conversation with Person A by themself and set a specific tone. But if Person A is in a conversation with Person B and Person C, then all notifications are the same. (Or whatever tone is assigned to that conversation) Whereas if the tone is assigned to the INDIVIDUAL, then each time that Person A says something, it plays Person A's tone. And each time Person B says something, it plays Person B's tone.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
You understand the problem, and you understand the limitations of the workaround of assigning a single tone to the conversation.

The true fix you and everyone else are looking for needs to come from Google and/or your phone maker.

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Sad, i liked ability to use diff ringtones per contact. Makes me know immediately who's calling when the phone is afar.

Strange.... I can set Ring tones for individuals on incoming calls. That's set up through the contacts page. The same page that USE to be able to set up individual ring tones for incoming text messages. At least, Individual ring tones hasn't changed on my phone.

gloamin

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Until 10 days ago my HTC 10 (with 8.0.0) gave me text notifications with one tone and gmail with another: Perfect! I knew who was trying to contact me. Suddenly after a reboot, I'm faced with the same situation as everyone else in this thread. Interestingly, in gmail settings>choose account>manage notifications> there is 'SOUND' but the text below it says 'wireless charging started'. I tap that and change to my preferred sound but it changes it for the rest of my phone's notifications. I hope Android gets it together as if one has more than one email address, it's nice to know who's touching base with me. Thanks for letting me vent! If anyone finds a solution, please post!

annie baker

Feb 4, 2019
Visit site
Wow- I joined this forum today just to ask about this! I've been a hardcore BlackBerry user for many years, and the separate notifications for calls and messages (both emails & texts) from the same contact were part of the BB operating system. Just got a new Key2 (Android) yesterday and was dismayed to find that I can set individual ringtones for phone calls but not for messages (emails & texts). Dang! I always really liked hearing the notification sound and knowing who was texting me. I don't know if the solutions y'all have found for other Android phones will work with my b@st@rd child, but I'll give it a try! :)

My contact on block there is one block toya moore how to get her unblock

She Is block how to get her unblock

Last edited by a moderator: