No notifications for active text message conversation

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Galaxy S9 on ATT using the default messages app...

Scenario: I'm texting someone and I send a message but don't leave the active conversation screen. I then press the power button to turn off the display while I await a response to my text message. When they do send a response, my phone does not notify me in any way... Seemingly because I'm still in the active conversation (where I guess we don't want notifications when we are actively VIEWING the conversation.)

The same thing happens if, for example, I send a message but instead of turning off the display, it times-out due to inactivity, or I use the switcher to go back to a previously opened app.

Basically, if the active conversation is left open, I will never get notifications for if it even if the next message arrives hours later.

What can I do about this?

Praying to all things good and Holy that there is a setting I'm overlooking and that this is not "by design" without a workaround.

Cheers,

BK

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you say "default messaging app," do you mean Samsung Messages or Google Messages? Google Messages doesn't give a notification tone if you have the app open to that conversation. Other messaging app (including Samsung, I think have an option to make it audible.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you say "default messaging app," do you mean Samsung Messages or Google Messages? Google Messages doesn't give a notification tone if you have the app open to that conversation. Other messaging app (including Samsung, I think have an option to make it audible.
I remember testing this out with message app open it won't notify you within the app but a pop up should appear in status bar