No reboot obtion?

AndroidPhene

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Seems like there were some shortcuts taken. How hard is it to add/keep a reboot option when holding down the power button. No, I don't need a qise guy to give me some coding answer, because it will be wrong.

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I also don't understand how that's not an option. I never want to turn off my phone, I always want to reboot /restart my phone. 1st world problems I know, but that's the life we've grown accustom too.

Posted via the Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think a coding answer will be wrong, but the stock ROM for Lollipop no longer has a reboot option. Google, for whatever, reason removed it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I have never had an Android phone that had a reboot option, unless I rooted the phone and installed a custom ROM.

It wouldn't be hard to do, but I can't believe it's a terrible hardship to shut down and then restart the phone.

jobjohnny

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Every HTC phone that I owned (Droid Incredible 2, Droid Incredible 4G, Droid DNA, One Remix) all had an option to reboot.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Both of my prior devices, the Droid Charge and Galaxy S3, had a restart option. Seems silly not to have it.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't remember it in Jelly Bean and KitKat either.

Come to think of it...I don't recall it on the 2013 X, and I have been running custom ROMs on most of my devices, which usually add a reboot menu as a given.

Edit: On the Custom ROMs, I am sure you can turn the reboot menu off, but it is on by default.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
My work G2 has a 'power off and restart' if that's what the OP means. I remember one of my earlier droids having that option too, but I don't remember which model and which OS

Posted via the Android Central App

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Stock Android hasn't had a "reboot" option by default for a while (if it ever did). A lot of the OEMs add it to their custom builds, i.e. the Samsung Galaxy and Note series both have a restart option under the shutdown menu.

You used to be able to just bring up a terminal emulator window and type "reboot", however I've tried that with the Turbo, and it appears to just sit there and do nothing. Maybe that command requires root on this phone?

If you just hold the power button down it will reboot. Have to hold it for like 5 seconds

It will, but it's a "hard" reboot, doesn't shutdown gracefully. Not really sure if that's a big deal or not, but it's still not the same as having the system initiate a reboot.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
My understanding is that the hard reset is there mainly for system freezes as a substitute for a battery pull, which of course we can't do on this phone unless you're skilled enough to make one of those teardown videos. I would also love clarification about the differences between using a hard reset and a normal 'reboot' (i.e., shut down, start up).

I know that root definitely allows for reboot commands. Though, I never thought I was advanced enough to use terminal emulators, so I always did it through the Titanium Backup menu option on previous phones.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Hate to say it but that and the pulldown toggles were really nice on Touchwiz.
Could do without some of the other stuff and I found some toggles to replace them on the DT, but still.
Not all the Samsung mods were bad. It was actually pretty decent with Nova or such on it.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
If the s4 ever got an unlocked bootloader, or I had any confidence the s5 would I'd still be there honestly. I'm happy with the DT but it wasn't enough to win me just on its own merits. Anyway..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tommysee