No tethering?? What!

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Okay I don't remember where I was reading this but I read that you cannot use your Android device to tether with the Xoom. Is this true? You can't use your phone to tether?

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I heard yes and no. Heard you can't with galaxy tab but I seen instructions on how to do it. So if it's a out the box im sure a hack will be out to fix that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
What are you talking about when you say tether? Do you mean using your phone's internet connection to get the tablet online? If that is the case then yes, you can tether with your phone, but it requires the hotspot feature which is $20 a month (or 30 on sprint)

The device's connection should be sharable though as a default. What I mean is that if you have a verizon plan, the hotspot feature should be part of that plan (since the data isn't tiered) So that means if you get the 5GB plan, you can use that 5GB on this device, or share it with your laptop/computer/PMP.

There won't be a "Native" tethering option, as in, you can share your phones connection with this for no additional cost. At least not as long as your phone offers unlimited data.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
What are you talking about when you say tether? Do you mean using your phone's internet connection to get the tablet online? If that is the case then yes, you can tether with your phone, but it requires the hotspot feature which is $20 a month (or 30 on sprint)

The device's connection should be sharable though as a default. What I mean is that if you have a verizon plan, the hotspot feature should be part of that plan (since the data isn't tiered) So that means if you get the 5GB plan, you can use that 5GB on this device, or share it with your laptop/computer/PMP.

There won't be a "Native" tethering option, as in, you can share your phones connection with this for no additional cost. At least not as long as your phone offers unlimited data.

Root = free tether. The way it should be as we pay for unlimited data anyway.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Root = free tether. The way it should be as we pay for unlimited data anyway.

you pay for unlimited HANDSET data, not unlimited data. The Terms and conditions of every carrier are clear about that.

If it was unlimited data period it would be a lot more expensive.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
On my Mytouch 4G I can enable wi-fi hotspot through the settings and, haven't been charged. Maybe if you use it too much Tmobile will start charging you but, I haven't used it enough to know for sure. I just know it works when I use it.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
On my Mytouch 4G I can enable wi-fi hotspot through the settings and, haven't been charged. Maybe if you use it too much Tmobile will start charging you but, I haven't used it enough to know for sure. I just know it works when I use it.

Tmobile might be different. I honestly know the least about their plans because they don't work consistently enough around here for me to look into. but Sprint, Verizon, and ATT all charge extra for tethering, and being that the Xoom is going to be on Verizon, if any "free tethering" deals are to be had, it would be through them.

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Nexus S....free wifi hotspot!

Should work.

The tab had issues connecting to an Ad Hoc network (one from a phone) but that was easily fixed. At least mine was...just drop a file in and done.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I have used wifi tether with a laptop, other cell phone and my ps3. So if its a wifi device why not.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Well I have a Nexus S free tethering and I have heard that the Motorola Xoom will not connect to the Ad Hoc Network (like from a phone). This will be a HUGE deal breaker for some, me I am still thinking about it. Is this true. That is all I am wondering. I was planning on getting the 3G/4G Xoom and tethering with my phone and using the 3G/4G whenever I needed to.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
If they block it then they would need to change their commercials. They say connect up to 5 if your wifi devices. Xoom has wifi and if you can't connect like other wifi devices then id love to see them have to state the xoom won't work.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
If they block it then they would need to change their commercials. They say connect up to 5 if your wifi devices. Xoom has wifi and if you can't connect like other wifi devices then id love to see them have to state the xoom won't work.

I hope so. I hope it doesn't have the same problems the Galaxy Tab had with tethering.