Note 10+ completely unusable in sunlight due to forced screen dimming

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
You can get quick toggle apps that are a one icon widget that you can program with auto levels such as Auto/40/60/100

I use Elixir as a multi button toggler and also replaced my battery percentage at the top with it
Android is telling me it is eating battery in the background but only reports 0.1% usage per charge cycle. The nag is annoying though. I have reported that to them.

I prefer a fixed range of screen brightnesses, turned up as my eye requires but leave the auto option in there.

Lukas Rycl

Jul 20, 2020
Visit site
Ok I had same problem with Samsung galaxy note 9 even recording videos, while running 4k camera on sun. Now I buy latest Samsung galaxy note 10 plus, Snapdragon version and I can notice when using phone on sun just few minutes brightness is going dimm and I can't even read display.

I am planning to buy Dji Drone Mavic air 2, so how I can possibly use this phone on sun?! No solution, maybe get different phone but no Samsung. This is crazy that their latest cpu can't run on direct sunlight?!

Cptdano

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I am coming from the Samsung Note 9 (before that was the S8+ and earlier Note phones). Basically been with Samsung for over 15 years. The Note 10+ is the first Samsung I have ever owned that is virtually unusable in bright sunlight. I live in a fairly warm climate (day time temp about 82 degrees currently) and if I use the phone in sunlight for more than 3 minutes or so the screen will dim about 20%. Then if I continue to use it for another 4-5 minutes in sunlight it will continue to dim even more... taking it all the way down to a maximum of 50% screen brightness. As you could probably imagine, having your screen set at 50% screen brightness in direct sunlight results in a useless phone as it's almost impossible to read or see anything.

I know it takes it to 50% because when I try to move the brightness setting bar it will brighten up to 50% of the bar (right in the middle) but does not go any brighter if the bar is pushed further to the right.

I understand that this is probably to protect the phone from overheating but why on earth wouldn't the engineers at Samsung gimp the processor (to reduce overheating) since the vast majority of the heat generated from a phone is from the processor - not the screen. It's one thing to deal with a slow phone in direct sunlight... it's another when the phone is entirely useless because it's too dim to read.

As noted, I have had many other Samsung phones and not one has reduced the brightness level so drastically in direct sunlight that the phone becomes useless.

Do I have a bad phone or is this what others in warm climates and direct sunlight use are experiencing? If this is a new but totally normal gimping feature for the Note 10+ is there any possible way of overriding this? I would prefer to have a shortened phone lifespan (I don't keep my phones for more than 1.5 years) then to have a phone that is the equivalent of a brick in direct sunlight. Any feedback is much appreciated.

While I have no way to authenticate this premise, I believe this is a ongoing nerfing process by those at Samsung. As they continue to upgrade their systems and Android capacity, it puts greater drains on the battery. So the easiest response to deal with this excessive battery drain is to nerf the screen capacity as well as speakers. I had this problem on my Note 8 with the speakers and now I'm experiencing the screen dimming on my Note 9. With the new manufacturing designs not allowing us to upgrade our batteries, this is the easiest solution. Samsung won't be held accountable to this and as our devices age they just become more and more dysfunctional.

Last edited by a moderator:

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
all you have to do is to turn off adaptive brightness in the display settings and the phone will not dim. You should be able to see in bright sunlight - if brightness is turned all the way up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred