Note 3: KitKat update disabling use of external micro SD Card

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
RE comments about built-in gallery app and others not seeing music on ext sdcards. Besides the .nomedia "ignore this folder" reason above, the built-in apps use a media index file that Android doesn't always update automatically. There are several apps on play store that rebuilds the index on demand. I use Rescan SD.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=com.uberullu.rescansd&token=y5zfwwi9

You might try one of those and see if it makes gallery see the files. Haven't got a clue about the disappearing files problem though.

Last edited:

magez

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
This issue belongs to Google, they prevent third party app to write on sdcard for security. I still can use My file app to manage files, but ES Explorer can't
It's terrible. There is no option to disable this rule, damn Google, it's my phone.

skyrail

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for asking the question. Now I know what is exactly the problem, when camera fv-5 fails saving my shot to a custom folder on my SD card.
I even tried other camera app with the same issue.
What is weird too, is the ability of my files explorer to delete or rename a folder, but ES explorer refuse it.
For my camera app, I fixed it by plugging an sd card reader on the usb port. It means third-part apps are able to write to usb external device.

Using my phone as a USB mass storage would be much more simple and compatible with windows and linux, than MTP or PTP.

For all theses reasons, i'd be tempted to root my fresh galaxy S5, and not wait for Lollipop Android 5.

Johnny Alvin

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Dear Google Dev Team,

Google should Remember why ppl choosen open source and Not iOS, i believe we have the Rights for our files management, we should have the Rights to Choose external micro SD or internal storage.
What are the usage we spent money to buy 64gb external micro SD?
Not enough room for us at internal memory, i am should we have the Rights to choose to where we want
to keeps our files NOT Google choosen for us!!!

Android Zenfone 6 Kitkat 4.4.2 user.

Barbie Heels

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I found a few articles that say that devices using secondary external SD Cards such as the Note 3 and the S4 will no longer be able to write to the external micro SD card after the kitkat update. Has anyone experienced this first hand??

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Yes been having issues with my SD card crappie ever since are they going to fix this soon I hope

Freddie Ong

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
I tried to run Next SDfix and got this Error on my Samsung Note 3.

Modifications could not be performed, failed to obtain root access. This modification can only be completed if you have root/superuser access to this device.

How?

Thanks,

Freddie

Deman S

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I agree to a degree. But how can progress for security be implemented without some sort of recourse? It's Googles progress moving forward and I'm sure they announced this to ALL developers before implementing this "feature" in 4.4.2. If they didn't update their app, it's not Google's fault, it's the developers.

BTW, you don't have to upgrade. Let it download and don't install. The only real drawback is that you can't get any new updates until you do. So their NOT forcing you....merely giving you a nudge.