Note 4 and Gorilla Glass 4

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla Glass 4 is great, but still don't wipe it in a dusty atmosphere with a dry tissue - it's not as hard as the corundum particles in the air (they're small enough that they go through most filters, and so light that air resistance keeps them from falling) and they can leave long, deep, very narrow scratches. (And it's the very narrow ones - the ones that are only few wavelengths of light wide, that are the most annoying.) Either use a lens tissue dampened (not wet) with lens cleaner or use a plastic (or tempered glass, if you prefer) protector. It's cheaper replacing a 3 for $5 plastic protector than having the glass on the phone replaced. A LOT cheaper.

It also won't protect the phone if you drop it so that the shock is through the cleavage plane of the glass, even if it's a small drop. That's what TPU cases with silicone liners are for.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Gorilla Glass 4 is great, but still don't wipe it in a dusty atmosphere with a dry tissue - it's not as hard as the corundum particles in the air (they're small enough that they go through most filters, and so light that air resistance keeps them from falling) and they can leave long, deep, very narrow scratches. (And it's the very narrow ones - the ones that are only few wavelengths of light wide, that are the most annoying.) Either use a lens tissue dampened (not wet) with lens cleaner or use a plastic (or tempered glass, if you prefer) protector. It's cheaper replacing a 3 for $5 plastic protector than having the glass on the phone replaced. A LOT cheaper.

It also won't protect the phone if you drop it so that the shock is through the cleavage plane of the glass, even if it's a small drop. That's what TPU cases with silicone liners are for.

My gawd man......

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
There is another whole thread with numerous links supporting G4 as well. I saw the G3 reference before all those came out.

Not a typo. The Alpha was the first, just not the last. The Note 4 is still listed on the Corning site as having GG 4.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Not a typo. The Alpha was the first, just not the last. The Note 4 is still listed on the Corning site as having GG 4.

It. is. not. G4. on. the. N4. At time of production of the N4, G4 wasn't ready for implementation so the G3 was used. The G4 was ready for the Alpha....hence it's the first....

Maybe the new N4 with the 810 SoC that might be released only in Korea will have G4......but not ours.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Really!! I have cleaned all my devices with "Hahhh" or spit and my shirt and none have been damaged. And never ever used a screen protector...

My reply had nothing to do with the G4...or screen protectors.... but rather the technical details that only a physicist could understand! :) Meant to be more of a joke....

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
True, I don't know the technical details...but I know enough to 'get' it now that you say it...but you should be happy it also worked on the level of a succinct comment about the level of overkill in the post. And if any of what was said was correct I guess my real world example is my own response (which I was going to say separately anyhow.

My reply had nothing to do with the G4...or screen protectors.... but rather the technical details that only a physicist could understand! :) Meant to be more of a joke....

UniQue WerkX

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
It. is. not. G4. on. the. N4. At time of production of the N4, G4 wasn't ready for implementation so the G3 was used. The G4 was ready for the Alpha....hence it's the first....

Maybe the new N4 with the 810 SoC that might be released only in Korea will have G4......but not ours.

So if this GG4 listing by Corning is only for future N4's, why would they list it now as GG4?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

If it's listed on the site, how can you dispute it?

Posted via the Android Central App

UniQue WerkX

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

The Alpha was the first to have it, which launched in September, the Note 4 came out in October. And as already pointed out, Corning's own site says the Note 4 has GG4.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
People make typo's ya know??

Google it. Some sites it has it, some say it doesn't. Form your own opinion....mine is that it's not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaysonIrwin