Note 4 AT&T. Software upgrade/

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
For those who took the plunge and upgraded, has it resolved the freezing and the FB crashes? I know it's a security update but as the new OS optimises apps, I was hoping that those issues would be resolved.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

That is strictly a Facebook issue.

qbnkelt

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I would agree if it happened exclusively in FB. It also happens in the camera app, for example, where I take a picture and the phone freezes. This didn't happen before Lollipop.

Therealm80

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I am pretty sure my battery life improved and my bluetooth range decreased a bit. Nice bump for me at least with the battery life though.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Last time I spoke w/ AT&T tech support rep advised me to turn 4G/LTE off for improved performance & further stated he always had his 4G/LTE off. I said that's great, have one of the most sophisticated smartphones & don't use your carriers network. I had 4G/LTE turned off on my S3. Since I was calling about telephone call issues as opposed to data (which is 4G/LTE) I questioned turning it off but was told that would result in overall better performance.

Bottom line is my phone worked perfectly on Kit Kat, nothing but one problem after another on Lollipoop. AT&T tech support claims problems (which they are aware off) will be solved with impending update.

We'll all see.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Last time I spoke w/ AT&T tech support rep advised me to turn 4G/LTE off for improved performance & further stated he always had his 4G/LTE off. I said that's great, have one of the most sophisticated smartphones & don't use your carriers network. I had 4G/LTE turned off on my S3. Since I was calling about telephone call issues as opposed to data (which is 4G/LTE) I questioned turning it off but was told that would result in overall better performance.

Bottom line is my phone worked perfectly on Kit Kat, nothing but one problem after another on Lollipoop. AT&T tech support claims problems (which they are aware off) will be solved with impending update.

We'll all see.

I hope the update comes to my Note 4 before Christmas.

Sent from the Elegance

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site

We'll all see.

That really sucks that you are having issues with the Note 4 Lollipop 5.0.1 update on AT&T. I haven't had a single issue with my update and in fact my phone is faster and my battery life has been a lot better.

I can't believe they told you to turn off your 4G LTE to fix your issues. I agree what is the point of having one of the best phones on the market and not have the ability to use 4G LTE. I know a lot of people with the AT&T Note 4 and they also haven't had a single issue.

Did you clear your system cache and do a factory reset? I'm sure it has been suggested to you before but I figured I would ask anyway. I always do both even if I'm not having issues with a update.

Good luck and I hope 5.1.1 fixes your issues.

Posted Via The AT&T Note 4

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

We'll all see.

I'm not aware of a way to turn off LTE on the AT&T Note 4. I could turn it off through a dial menus with my Note 2 but those options were removed with never Android versions.

Turning off LTE won't make the phone perform better, the only thing that will help with is phone signal. I am close to several towers but located below the towers. I had to turn off LTE before so I could get a better phone signal. Now at home with I don't use LTE because I use a microcell. AT&T users can't turn off LTE and LTE has nothing to do with the overall performance of the phone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I would agree if it happened exclusively in FB. It also happens in the camera app, for example, where I take a picture and the phone freezes. This didn't happen before Lollipop.

What have you done after the update as far as fixing issues?

Cache wipe?
Reset?
Have the software reflashed?

qbnkelt

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
What have you done after the update as far as fixing issues?

Cache wipe?
Reset?
Have the software reflashed?

Yes I did a cache wipe.
Yes I did a factory reset.
No I did not reflash the OS. After the first two I wasn't keen on spending more time and energy and decided to just wait until the fix comes. Lollipop wasn't the best thing that happened to my Note 4.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes I did a cache wipe.
Yes I did a factory reset.
No I did not reflash the OS. After the first two I wasn't keen on spending more time and energy and decided to just wait until the fix comes. Lollipop wasn't the best thing that happened to my Note 4.

You have AT&T? What all kinds of problems are you having? AT&T has really not had as many issues as what Verizon seems to have.

If it were me and knowing that AT&T hasn't had the bad issues, I would go to Best Buy and let them completely reflash it and if that didn't work, do a warranty trade. Of you don't want to trade the phone, then I would send it to Samsung, let them REMOVE the OS and put it back on. If there isn't a physical problem, removing the OS and putting it back on, can fix tons of problems. Only Samsung can do that.

Clearing the cache, reset and reflashing and it still having problems, is an indication something is wrong with the phone.

qbnkelt

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I would disagree.
The phone behaved perfectly on KitKat. Tremendous battery life. No freezing, no lag. I had my core apps that I always rely on.
The freezing, crashing, loop of black screen followed by freezing that can only be remedied by battery pulls, camera freeze, inability to load pictures to FB, FB crashes all began after Lollipop. None of these issues were present when I first got the phone. And I have added no apps since Lollipop.
Therefore it's not the device. It's the OS.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I would disagree.
The phone behaved perfectly on KitKat. Tremendous battery life. No freezing, no lag. I had my core apps that I always rely on.
The freezing, crashing, loop of black screen followed by freezing that can only be remedied by battery pulls, camera freeze, inability to load pictures to FB, FB crashes all began after Lollipop. None of these issues were present when I first got the phone. And I have added no apps since Lollipop.
Therefore it's not the device. It's the OS.

Well like I said, if a reflash doesn't fix it and then removing the OS and putting it back on doesn't fix it, that is an indication of a problem with the phone.

Mine runs perfect on lollipop as do the vast majority, especially of AT&T users.

That is why I said a reflash and if that didn't work, removing the OS and having it reinstalled. You could possibly have a corrupted install.

IF none of that fixes it that is an indication something us wring with the phone because just the update isn't causing these problems for AT&T and something can easily go wrong with your phone after you bought it.

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Yours is a wake lock issue though, right? Didn't you post graphs and other info and your phone was never going into a deep sleep?

Yeah, I've seen you in several of the same threads I've visited and you tried to help me. There are a ton of wake locks, but I was never able to truly find them even after using WLD.

Even turning off ALL sync stuff and Google Now and everything else on the device, there are still more wake locks than there should be. This was on 2 different Note 4s. The only thing I can hope for is the update fixes it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I've seen you in several of the same threads I've visited and you tried to help me. There are a ton of wake locks, but I was never able to truly find them even after using WLD.

Even turning off ALL sync stuff and Google Now and everything else on the device, there are still more wake locks than there should be. This was on 2 different Note 4s. The only thing I can hope for is the update fixes it.

Oh yeah I remember more details now.

If two have done it, I'm thinking yours is some app and a location issue.

I have several apps that I manually greenify and hibernate at night with mine. I turned off my Google location history and that helped mine. You used Google Now a lot though and you might need the location history. Having the history off didn't affect my location based apps, but they also don't need previous location for anything.

With your issue, which I had a similar years ago, I finally had to reset and run for a few days with no apps downloaded and when I saw that was working correctly, add like 5 apps I had been using and run a few days, etc. When I saw the problem pop up again finally, I knew it was one of five apps and then I removed those five and added each one at a time and ran a few days with each new addition. Then when the problem popped up, I knew exactly which app was waking my phone.

There is also turning off Google Now for a few days and clearing location history and then see if that makes much of a difference. Apps using location can cause a lot of wake locks with default settings because Google makes them constantly poll for location.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_glow