Note 4 Bluetooth "skipping" audio.

Greg Swan

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I still get occasional "mystery" bursts of skipping. However, I don't mind 20 or 30 minutes of trouble a day compared to the trouble I was having throughout much of the day and evening. If I'm right, and the lock screen notifications play something of a role, the frequency of the problem before I fiddled was based on how many notifications I was receiving. I may fiddle some more, and turn on "do not disturb," which eliminates all notifications and see what happens. Solving this particular problem has been more about moving in the right direction (less skipping) than finding a cold, hard solution. For the cold, hard solution, keep the screen on.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I switched to the GS6 and I'm not having that problem like I did on my Note 4. Do you think that means it's a hardware issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sirbogoff

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I took the extra memory card out and hey presto.. The skipping has stopped. My music was on the card so I had to move it to the internal memory. This seems to have done the trick. I have used the card in other devices and it seems to be fine so I do not think it is the card its self.

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I took the extra memory card out and hey presto.. The skipping has stopped. My music was on the card so I had to move it to the internal memory. This seems to have done the trick. I have used the card in other devices and it seems to be fine so I do not think it is the card its self.

I moved one album over to test it. Boom. No skips on my way to work

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone tried moving the songs from the external card to internal? That solved mine. I kept wondering why the same songs would skip in the same places but not all tracks had the bug. Turns out some of my music, the ones with the blip, were on the card, the rest on the phone. No more drop outs, pops, or whatever you call it.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Those of you seeing positive results moving from an external card to internal memory - are any of you using high-speed memory cards like the Samsung EVO Pro series?

Interesting find but problematic if you have a large music catalog and can't move it all to internal storage. I have 10GB of music and 6GB of free space. And music storage was a big reason for using the SD card.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Those of you seeing positive results moving from an external card to internal memory - are any of you using high-speed memory cards like the Samsung EVO Pro series?

Interesting find but problematic if you have a large music catalog and can't move it all to internal storage. I have 10GB of music and 6GB of free space. And music storage was a big reason for using the SD card.
Transcend Class 10 UHS-1, 64GB for me. I don't think it's the card. I think it's the reader. It's been something I've dealt with on all my phones since they started accepting external cards back in the dumbphone days. Not until the G2, which didn't have an external card, did I ever have enough internal storage on my phone to keep the music on it so I'd never tried, just dealt with the drops.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Transcend Class 10 UHS-1, 64GB for me. I don't think it's the card. I think it's the reader. It's been something I've dealt with on all my phones since they started accepting external cards back in the dumbphone days. Not until the G2, which didn't have an external card, did I ever have enough internal storage on my phone to keep the music on it so I'd never tried, just dealt with the drops.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Leaves me wondering though as to why leaving the screen on prevents the skipping from occurring.

hotzeug

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Dang, I had high hopes that this would work for me as well, but it still has dropouts even with music on my phone's storage (about one dropout per minute).

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
The part that makes no sense to me, is that I've had this problem since the note 3 and I mostly see it with my LG bluetooth headset and my jabra talk bluetooth ear piece. I dont see this problem with 2 bluetooth external speakers, and my ford sync, but with this headset, I get half second pauses. Want to know a crazy possible fix? My phone was in my right chest pocket. Moved it to the left chest pocket and it stopped happening by like 80%. I doubt this will work for anyone else, but I was shocked and annoyed this actually worked.

Soreloser

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Want to know a crazy possible fix? My phone was in my right chest pocket. Moved it to the left chest pocket and it stopped happening by like 80%. I doubt this will work for anyone else, but I was shocked and annoyed this actually worked.
I carry my phone in my left chest pocket and it happens consistently. Also have tried pants pockets (both left and right) and no change. Motorola buds and LG headset.

dmagikwand

May 18, 2015
Visit site
I was unable to find any decent information on the net for this long going problem other than:

1. Leave your screen on all day while listening (ridiculous, but it does work FWIW)
or
2. If you are a rooter, then root the phone and get an app that will let you overclock your CPU while the phone is asleep.

The theory seems to be that the problem is that the CPU slows down too much in sleep to consistently push the BT.

I'm not a rooter and the screen fix is unacceptable to me so.....

This is how I fixed the problem:

I thought I would look for an app that would continuously prod at the CPU by running to keep it from deep sleep, yet not pull too much battery drain.
I already had an app on my phone called simply "Stopwatch & Timer" by Jupiter Apps.
It can be downloaded from Play for free
Download it
Install
Open
Use the timer feature
Set the timer to about the amount of time you will be using BT audio or as long as you want (the max is 9 hrs and 59 minutes on the free version)
You can set the alert of your choice when the countdown is complete or choose no alert, whatever works best for you.
Start the countdown, play some tunes and enjoy skip free music for the duration of the timer, all while saving your beautiful screen from burnout.

If the timer runs out it takes about 2 seconds to start it again from the task bar. You can repeat the old timer or make a new timer for a different amount of time. I'm currently keeping mine around 5 hours and will tweak as I go along....it is easy to change the times.

I haven't been using this fix long enough to determine just how much battery the timer uses but one would think it would be much, much, less than leaving your screen on all bloody day, right?

Disclaimer: This was done on a my GS5 and works perfectly. The problem is so similar across so many Galaxy devices that I can't imagine this so called 'fix' not working almost all the same devices. What would be nice though, is a REAL FRIGGIN' FIX, but obviously that is not gonna come so I guess a crumb is better than hungry.

NOTE: I thought this might be obvious, but just in case, you do not have to stay in the "timer screen". Once you got the timer rolling, just hit the middle button at the bottom of the phone and the timer will just have a little icon at the top of the task bar/notification bar and are free to proceed with doing whatever you normally do the rest of the day.

Last edited:

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I was unable to find any decent information on the net for this long going problem other than
1. Leave your screen on all day (ridiculous, but it does work FWIW)
or
2. If you are a rooter, then root the phone and get an app that will let you overclock your CPU while the phone is asleep.

The theory seems to be that the problem is that the CPU slows down too much in sleep to consistently push the BT.

I thought I would look for an app that would continuously prod at the CPU by running to keep it from deep sleep, yet not pull too much battery drain.
I already had an app on my phone called simply "Stopwatch & Timer" by Jupiter Apps.
Download it
Install
Open
Use the timer feature
Set the timer to about the amount of time you will be using BT audio (the max is 9 hrs and 59 minutes on the free version) You can set the alert of your choice when the countdown is complete or choose no alert, whatever works best for you.
Start the countdown and enjoy skip free music for the duration, all while saving your beautiful screen from burnout.
I haven't been using this fix long enough to determine just how much battery the timer uses but one would think it would be much, much, less that leaving your screen on all bloody day?

I wish rooting was an option, cuz I would do that. But unfortunately the Verizon version has not been rooted yet. Except for the developer edition

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I was unable to find any decent information on the net for this long going problem other than
1. Leave your screen on all day (ridiculous, but it does work FWIW)
or

Download it
Install
Open
Use the timer feature
Set the timer to about the amount of time you will be using BT audio (the max is 9 hrs and 59 minutes on the free version) You can set the alert of your choice when the countdown is complete or choose no alert, whatever works best for you.
Start the countdown and enjoy skip free music for the duration, all while saving your beautiful screen from burnout.
I haven't been using this fix long enough to determine just how much battery the timer uses but one would think it would be much, much, less that leaving your screen on all bloody day?
Disclaimer: This was done on a my GS5 and works perfectly. The problem is so similar across so many Galaxy devices that I can't imagine this so called 'fix' not working almost all the same devices. What would be nice though, is a REAL FRIGGIN' FIX, but obviously that is not gonna come so I guess a crumb is better than hungry.

I'll give this a shot. Thanks for the tip.

dmagikwand

May 18, 2015
Visit site
I wish rooting was an option, cuz I would do that. But unfortunately the Verizon version has not been rooted yet. Except for the developer edition

Other than things such as what I listed rooting, I think will be the only thing that will ever come close to a fix. This problem has gone on so long across so many different Samsung platforms that if it were going to be fixed by them I would have to think it would be fixed by now.
What stuns me is that their isn't more information on this topic and I don't know why.
Maybe still just too many people out there that only use Bluetooth for phone calls which are not a problem. Perhaps as headphones and speakers become more popular, it will get fixed in a couple of years. I hear the GS6 even still has the same problem so no end near.