Note 4 to LG G4

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking of moving from the Note 4 to the G4 as one last try before I dump Android. Just getting tired of having to factory reset and tweak a bunch of settings just to try and eliminate lag. Lollipop absolutely destroyed my Note 4 and yes I have factory reset and changed developer options. My two biggest requirements would be good battery (doesn't have to be days just a solid 24 - 36 hours with normal use) and camera.

Has anyone done this recently?

Just searching through this forum I'm somewhat worried with the talked about issues on the G4 but maybe that was just a small number of folks.

Sergiusz Jasper

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Root ur Note 4, it makes it all work way better lag is almost gone I only found some when going from camera to gallery otherwise all snappy.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Sergiusz Jasper

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Yes it is its quite easy, go to
galaxynote4root.com
Just make sure u download the right root programs for Note 4 model cos there is a few, mine was the W8 Canadian version.

Sergiusz Jasper

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the root suggestion but I'm not willing to put that much effort into a phone.
Lol... Ok well it takes about 15min and way cheaper than a new phone it sounds more like u just need to fine tune ur Note 4, rooting just gives u more options.

legend221

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Well I haven't found there to be any lag. I have the Verizon variant however. Each person uses their phone in a specific way and I can't guarantee you the amount of battery life you have on the OP but I've been very impressed on what I get on mine.

..Sent from an impeccable LG G4 on Verizon..

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I went from the note 4 to the Lg G4, I sold the G4 and kept the note. The G4 didn't have any problems per say, but it just didn't have the zip the note 4 did. Battery life was doable, didn't mis the s-pen, did mis the N4 screen.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Battery life isn't the G4's strongest aspect, I'd say. It depends on your use, of course.

But if you want 36 hours of "normal" use (which varies a lot between people, I'm sure), that will likely be a stretch, IMO, without some tweaking. Standby battery life is very good. But 2-4 hours of SOT is common (some people get >4 hours, but I'd say they're the exception, not the rule). So if you want a lot of screen use during that 36 hours, that's going to be tricky. It will at least require some tweaks for battery improvements.

Fortunately, if in the US, you can get a free battery and charger for the battery, plus a leather back, for free this month from LG. With 2 batteries available, you can run a long time.

The camera is very good, so that's a good fit with your other requirement.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
You can't blame android unless you've used it at its purest.

Grab a droid turbo.
Nexus 6.
Moto x.
HTC one M8 google play edition.

Or anything that's stock or near stock.

No lag.
No stutters.
Smooth android experience.

Or any HTC or Sony flagships for that matter. You won't experience any hiccups at all.

Plus, Sony will give you 48 hours battery life as well. And everything you'll ever need.

Ps. I've used almost all flagships. Including Apple's. Currently using the Note 4. And loving it.

Though HTC and Sony are the fastest.
Apple is the simplest.
Samsung is still learning but provides the best features pack.
Motorola is the easiest.
LG on the other hand... makes cheapest feeling hardware and software. Everything else is top notch.

If you want lag free android experience with good features I suggest you look at HTC and Sony phones.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I went from the note 4 to s6e to g4 and back to the note 4.

The g4 is definitely smoother than the note 4. But the biggest problem for me is the touchscreen on the g4.

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I'll chime in. I went from Note 4 to Nexus 6 to G4. I am sticking with the G4. Note 4 had a beautiful large screen, but I was sick of performance issues by Samsung. For that kind of money, I would expect great performance, which wasn't the case. It was riddled with lags in multitasking, camera, gallery, reviewing images. Camera performance, which I think was defective in my unit, was subpar in low light- and any lighting expect optimal. Battery also died far too quickly for a device with that sized battery. Updates were not really coming in to fix these issues. Since having it, It received a total of 3 updates. It never fixed any issues except one - GPS tagging in the image (which if you take the picture before it locks on to a GPS, then it just ignores it rather than trying for another 2-3 seconds!).

G4 for me is a superb device. Smooth. Runs cool. Good battery life. This is my second G4, I returned the original within 30 days to get the leather backed one, and I have had 0 issues with both. They're very good devices. I think the Note 4 is also a good device, just not for the money they charge. Considering that I got the G4 within 3 months of it coming out, and then the Note 4 8 months within it coming out, and the G4 cost me less (610 euros for the Note 4 vs 500 euros for the G4), I'm very happy!

rodrigoeilert

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Don't do it! LG G4 suffers from lots of lags and stuttering, and unlike Samsung, G4 stutters in the simplest things ever, like scrolling down contacts list or going up and down an album full of photos thumbnails. I'm thinking it has to do with the chipset and software issues, so I'm sure they'll eventually fix it, but in the meantime, the phone lags and stutters a lot. Who gave you the advice to root your note 4 is right, the only reason why Samsung phones freezes and lags is because of all the bloatware Samsung add in their phones, so just root it and take out all of the Samsung bs. You'll have a really fast phone without the issues.

robert_in_la

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Don't do it! LG G4 suffers from lots of lags and stuttering, and unlike Samsung, G4 stutters in the simplest things ever, like scrolling down contacts list or going up and down an album full of photos thumbnails. I'm thinking it has to do with the chipset and software issues, so I'm sure they'll eventually fix it, but in the meantime, the phone lags and stutters a lot. Who gave you the advice to root your note 4 is right, the only reason why Samsung phones freezes and lags is because of all the bloatware Samsung add in their phones, so just root it and take out all of the Samsung bs. You'll have a really fast phone without the issues.

I have a G4 and have not experienced any of the issues that you are describing. Thus far my G4 has worked flawlessly - zero lag or stutter.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any lag or issues with my G4 and just did the stuff the guy above me is talking about and no lag or problems. I'm guessing he doesn't even own on.

As far as a switching from a Note 4, I see no reason to of you are looking for a phone that gets 24 to 36 hours of normal use. I know everybody's normal use is different, for me I use the hell out of my phone. The Note wouldn't get me to 24 hours. But the Note for does have the best battery right now for premium phones plus you can switch it out. As you can also do with the G4.

As far as leaving Android, where do you plan on going? I know nothing of Windows phones or BlackBerry when it comes to battery life. But I can tell you the 2nd leading OS being iOS doesn't have a phone that can get you close to the battery life you want.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I've thought about an Iphone 6 with mophie battery case. I also just read the news on this site that Moto is announcing new offerings at the end of this month. I'm at least going to wait until then to make a decision. I had a brief run with the Turbo recently and the call quality was so bad with advanced calling turned on I took it back. Had I not needed data and calling at the same time for work I probably would have just kept it as the phone was really smooth and the battery life was good. Camera was ok but not Note 4 good.

On the root suggestion is the Verizon Note 4 now rootable?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I had a note 4 for about a month. It is a great phone. I also have a 6 plus that I've used as my daily for about 8 months. I've only had the g4 for a day so I can't give a thorough review yet, but I can say that I've put it through most everything that I would throw at it and have not experienced any of the lagging being talked about. I zip through contacts and pictures and between apps with zero lag. I type a lot and I have not had any touch screen issues at all. I also didn't have any issues with the Note 4 either. It will come down to the S-pen in my opinion. If you don't use it and want a slightly more comfortable phone to hold and use then go for the g4. You can't go wrong with either device. If you are considering it, the 6 plus is a good phone. Battery life is better than both the g4 and Note 4. You make sacrifices with iOS though so it's a personal choice.

Sent from my LG G4

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
My three gripes:
1. Touchscreen inaccuracies! Typing, selecting, scrolling. All wack in comparison with my S5. Hoping this is an easy fix through developer settings.
2. Slow charge. Coming from a fast charge phone, this was a disappointment.
3. Phone heats up around the camera lens, like a lot.
Aside from complaints, it's a great phone that I haven't fully explored so I anticipate finding simple solutions to these issues. It runs much faster than my S5 with less bloatware. I might be bold enough to root in the future.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

jxking

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
Mine also stutters doing basic scrolling. It feels like it would randomly drop a frame or two. but mine is verizon's model, and it came with A LOT of bloatware.

After rooting and removing most of the bloat, as well as replacing the LG UI with nova launcher, the stutter became better. It is still there, just not as often.

Sucks that g4 has a tiny marketshare, and no developers bother to make a custom rom for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StudyMantraOverseas