Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus Camera : Low light and motion shots

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I took some shots of the Note 4 and 6 Plus, in low light and motion. Top are 6 Plus, bottom are Note 4.

Attachments

• 6p_1.jpg
    6p_1.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 407
  • 6p_2.jpg
    6p_2.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 403
  • 6p_3.jpg
    6p_3.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 391
  • 6p_4.jpg
    6p_4.jpg
    807 KB · Views: 413
  • 6p_5.jpg
    6p_5.jpg
    647.3 KB · Views: 402
  • n4_1.jpg
    n4_1.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 395
  • n4_2.jpg
    n4_2.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 384
  • n4_3.jpg
    n4_3.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 391
  • n4_4.jpg
    n4_4.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 408
  • n4_5.jpg
    n4_5.jpg
    493.5 KB · Views: 470

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the 6+ and the Note 4, the camera on the 6+ IMHO is the better ALL AROUND camera. No doubt the 4 really shines with good lighting.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It would be interesting to see how you got those pics. The iPhone pics make it look like it had some sort of NASA spotlight on, while the Note 4 looks like it was taken in a black hole. I know the 6 is better in low light, but I haven't seen any other tests with this stark of a contrast between the two. I think if this was more common, the Note 4 would be crucified mercilessly on all the tech websites...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It would be interesting to see how you got those pics. The iPhone pics make it look like it had some sort of NASA spotlight on, while the Note 4 looks like it was taken in a black hole. I know the 6 is better in low light, but I haven't seen any other tests with this stark of a contrast between the two. I think if this was more common, the Note 4 would be crucified mercilessly on all the tech websites...
They were taken side by side using the default settings on both phones. The key difference here is motion. Most of the reviews are taking pictures of static objects. In normal lighting without motion, the note 4 takes great shots. Being a parent, taking pictures very quickly with motion is something that I look for in a smartphone camera. The Note 4 is a large improvement over the note 3, so Samsung is moving in the right direction

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

AlusionL

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Inaccurate, possibly intentional, comparison.

I can guarantee you Note 4 is not that dark nor blurry.

I will do a comparison this week myself.

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Inaccurate, possibly intentional, comparison.

I can guarantee you Note 4 is not that dark nor blurry.

I will do a comparison this week myself.

Please do...i have note 4 camera ain't that bad dang lol well maybe with no flash but thats dark i would just played with exposure

Posted via the Android Central App

AlusionL

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I mean motion blur with moving objects is one thing, cars etc, but what, did original poster's ground shake too?

Or was it just deliberate shaking of the camera? Yeah, that seems more like it.

Must have a lot of earthquakes there

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I mean motion blur with moving objects is one thing, cars etc, but what, did original poster's ground shake too?

I was walking along. Had I been standing still, the shot would have been better. Hands were a bit shakey as i was pushing a bicycle along with holding two phones. Those are just a few photos. I have a lot more but those are pretty representative. The point of this is when I see something my daughter does, I have a few seconds to take out the phone and take a picture of the moment. And in that scenario, hands a little shaking is normal, for me at least. I realize that this doesn't apply to everyone, and I want trying to give a general review of the camera abilities, only the specific situation that I need

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414190207.945869.jpg

369dfaf2d6c03e4d51c008da25f16e9b.jpg

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

dpham honestly has no reason to make the iPhone or Note shine .. he would get nothing out of "faking" results from them. He is trying to find a good camera for his daughter which I don't blame him for. I could easily see times going down the road on a walk or at a park where you might want to snap something on the go. No reason to think he has other motives :).

yellowcanary73

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
My testing of the note 4 camera and the iPhone 6 plus. In low light I have to agree my wife's camera blows my camera away....

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I have both the iPhone 6 (not plus) and a note 4. I can attest the iPhone takes much better pics in a spur of the moment shot. It seems to stop the motion much better than the note 4. Don't get me wrong, the N4 takes great shots but the iPhone's camera is better all around. And everybody here knows how I feel about Apple and it's iTerd but I will admit if they do something better.

respibob

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I have the Note 4 and my GF is waiting on her iPhone 6 Plus so I hope to do some comparison shots as well. Does look like the iPhone is better with motion though.

palmor

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Did you put the note 4 in sports mode?

Really what is probably happening here is that the note isn't setting the ISO high for a shutter speed to stop motion, if you put it in sports mode it is telling the phone that you want as high of a shutter speed as possible.

Other option is to use a different camera app that let's you take control of shutter, f-stop and ISO so you can control the outcome youself

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Did you put the note 4 in sports mode?

Really what is probably happening here is that the note isn't setting the ISO high for a shutter speed to stop motion, if you put it in sports mode it is telling the phone that you want as high of a shutter speed as possible.

Other option is to use a different camera app that let's you take control of shutter, f-stop and ISO so you can control the outcome youself
Thanks. I will try the sport mode. I didn't see it before. Apparently it isn't installed by default and I had to download it from the galaxy app store

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I will try the sport mode. I didn't see it before. Apparently it isn't installed by default and I had to download it from the galaxy app store

Yes sports mode u use for fast motion on my s5 and catches fast motion with no blur

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Considering how poor the Note 3 was in low light (I had a long thread dispute with someone on this site and wish I remember who they were so I could tell them that they were right), I can't imagine the Note 4 completely dominating the iPhone in that respect.

Statastic

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The iPhone's camera has always been light years better than any camera Samsung has had on their phones so iI never expected that to change. Overall, I still wouldn't trade anything to go back to the boredom of an iPhone.