Note 5 Battery life thread

Aaron_Jones

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
I had a great day today fellas with my battery life. I normally was getting 7 hours on average before coming to this forum. Today I got 14 hours.

So I have my phone in power saver moder
I got rid of Facebook part of my fast
I was busy at work so I did not hit it as heavy as I have in the past. Today is my normal operation mode.
I took snap shots of all the monitors and will post them a little later.

One thing I did notice that was interesting. My phone Signal as it spiked was a direct mirror opposite for the battery drain under rate of change. I have ATT have have poor signal at work and at home and I think that this is a major reason of my battery situation. ATT used to work really well in both areas but over the last year or so I noticed it has really dropped off a bit and now seems to be the new norm.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aaron_Jones

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Phone signal - look how the rate of change is almost directly the opposite of the signal chart showing a major cause of bat drain.

Attachments

• 2708.jpg
    2708.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 112

Aaron_Jones

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Here is my app use. I got little over 3hrs of Display on as well. Again, took off Facebook, in power saver mode, moderate use, with my gear 2 Bluetooth ed the while day. Actually the Bluetooth did not account for hardly any drain on my battery it registered to 0% among all the others.

Attachments

• 2706.jpg
    2706.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 114

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
So we still have the battery drain when we have a bad signal with Verizon. I noticed my Note 4 would drain the battery quick in some areas rather than others. Not really much you can do about that. I mean guys we are going to get days with poor battery life because of cell issues. Use your phone the way you want and get a battery with wireless charging. Sometimes I get bad cell reception at work and have to charge, but most of the time I get through 10 hours and have 50% or better left.

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
When should the phone be charged? I usually let it drain all the way down less than 10%, but some people say to charge it at 40%, others say 50, etc. So I just want to know when is the best time to charge it to extend the battery life in the long run. I only plan on keeping the phone for a year though. Thanks

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
When should the phone be charged? I usually let it drain all the way down less than 10%, but some people say to charge it at 40%, others say 50, etc. So I just want to know when is the best time to charge it to extend the battery life in the long run. I only plan on keeping the phone for a year though. Thanks

I charge it at 5, 7 ,10 even 15% no harm done.

hub1

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

i put mine on the charger when i go to bed, unplug in the morning and use it all day, Repeat every day.:)

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Yea, I mean I never thought it would matter. Hopefully it'll hold strong for a year. I know myself, and I know I won't make it a year without getting a new phone. And a year is pushing it 😳

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Here is example of the cell standby with Verizon. Today I was off wifi all day except for a few minutes at chik fil a. Virtually no cell standby drain.

Attachments

• 567.jpg
    567.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 156

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site

Charge it when it is most convenient. With Lithium Ion batteries there is no memory issue so charge it up when it is most convenient. But whatever you do, do not allow it to completely drain out. Li-ION batteries have no memory issue to contend with so top it off whenever you like.

aspiller1998

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I just wish my battery drain would stop. Android system and android os stay awake times are ridiculous. Phone was great from September when I got it. Nothing changed at all, no software updates and no new apps. Then all of a sudden in November android system and os started going crazy. Doesn't matter how many times I FDR, it starts right back up even with nothing but stock apps on it. I'm honestly ready to jump ship backup apple. I love this new iPad mini I just got, and find myself using it more than my phone because of how much my note 5 battery sucks. If only I still had the 14 say return period

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Charge it when it is most convenient. With Lithium Ion batteries there is no memory issue so charge it up when it is most convenient. But whatever you do, do not allow it to completely drain out. Li-ION batteries have no memory issue to contend with so top it off whenever you like.

Why shouldn't I let it drain all the way?

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Draining a lithium ion or lithium polymer battery completely to zero voltage will damage it.
BUT, that is not the same as letting your phone get to zero. Zero on the phone is not zero voltage for the battery.
Your phone's 100% to 0% scale is for the usable range of the battery, which is actually from 4.35 volts when the phone is full, on down to 3.64 volts when your phone is saying 1% or 0%. At this point your phone will shut off to protect your battery. Now, if you let the phone get to 0%, shut off, then you put it in the drawer for a couple months, the battery may very well go to zero volts and become damaged. If you are going to store a lithium ion battery, then charge it to 70% (about 3.79 volts) before putting it away. I usually check my stored devices every 3 months.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Well I finally hit my limit with this crappy battery life, and just went back to the iPhone.

Earlier this week I went to the AT&T DSC at the mall, which is now in the stores, and talked with them about my bad battery life. They hooked it up to the machine and ran a test, and basically just told me there wasn't anything wrong with the battery that they could see, so they wouldn't swap it out. I said ok and just left and figured maybe I would just wait until Marshmellow came out.

Then I sat down with my Starbucks at the mall and was doing some reading on my phone. It dropped about %15 battery in around 10 minutes of so. After that, I walked upstairs to Apple and bought an iPhone 6s Plus. I finally had enough of it.

I've owned most iPhones in the past, and every once in awhile an Android phone will come out and catch my eye and I'll get it. After a short while something will crop up and really irked me and I'll go back to the iPhone. I should have known better when I got the Note 5, but I wanted to get it anyway, and it happened again.

In my previous posts in this thread, I was complaining about standby time on the Note 5. When I am at work I use my phone very little, and would be halfway drained after one day of doing almost nothing on the phone, just having it idle. With the 6s Plus, I lost about %15 since yesterday of it mainly being idle.

Plus I am surprised how fast the 6s Plus is. I thought the Note 5 was really fast, but this things just seems snappier.

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Must have a defective Note 5, no way the Iphone 6s plus can compete with the Note 5. The Note 5 is at least 25 to 30% "snappier" than the Iphone 6s plus on Antutu benchmarks. To each his own but benchmarks don't lie.

Last edited:

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Why shouldn't I let it drain all the way?

Draining a lithium ion or lithium polymer battery completely to zero voltage will damage it.
BUT, that is not the same as letting your phone get to zero. Zero on the phone is not zero voltage for the battery.
Your phone's 100% to 0% scale is for the usable range of the battery, which is actually from 4.35 volts when the phone is full, on down to 3.64 volts when your phone is saying 1% or 0%. At this point your phone will shut off to protect your battery. Now, if you let the phone get to 0%, shut off, then you put it in the drawer for a couple months, the battery may very well go to zero volts and become damaged. If you are going to store a lithium ion battery, then charge it to 70% (about 3.79 volts) before putting it away. I usually check my stored devices every 3 months.

What he said but I wouldn't let the phone drain the battery to zero in spite of the possibility that draining the phone get to zero may not mean the battery went to zero. Why risk it. It is a well known fact that hitting the zero mark in a Lithium Ion battery will damage it. I've never gone below 40% on my phone not because I was worried and charged it - but because that's a full day's busy usage for me. 20% is where I draw the line, I won't risk damaging the battery, especially when I can't just pop in a new one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissa Oliver