Note 5 Battery life thread

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Phone Arena Battery Test (Note 5 v. Others)

This battery test is bull crap based on my real world usage scenario... My iPhone 6 and Nexus 6 lasts way longer than the S6. I would wait for someone to use the phone normally and report battery tests than useless custom scripts. Though with 3000 mah battery I don't think it will be problem getting thru the work day with Note 5 unlike the S6.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

We should really wait for more user thoughts on this since battery life is subjective from person to person due to different usage scenarios.

So far, however, the Note 5 is shaping up to be a very capable performer.

The one thing is that the Z3 lasts just as long as the N5 and S6E+. The battery on it is 3100mAh, BTW.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

I had the S6 and there was no way the battery lasted longer than the G4 I had. This is why benchmarks are crap. They're not accurate.

dridas

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: Samsung is supposedly releasing fast-charging portable battery pack

This is very interesting. Will it only charge to 50%, or is that just a guideline- 50% in 30 minutes, and full 100% after 2 hours?

I just realized that wireless charging actually opens up some possibilities for battery pack cases. Usually, battery pack cases are usually very bulky, and long. This is due to the connector being at the bottom so that it can connect to the microUSB port. With wireless charging, that's not a requirement. Who will make a fast wireless charging battery pack with a microSD card slot?

dridas

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site

I decided to ask Samsung via chat what the release timeframe was on the fast charging pad and battery pack. They're saying when the devices are officially released- See transcript below.

Freddie: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
John: Just a couple questions on Note5 Accessories
John: 1- What is the release and availability date for the Fast Wireless Charging Pad and Fast Charge Battery Pack?
John: When will the Samsung Mobile Elite Protection Plan be available for purchase for the Samsung Note 5
Freddie: I'll be glad to assist you in providing the accessory and protection plan information for the device.
Freddie: I apologies for the delay.
John: no worries
Freddie: I have checked the information for you and would like to inform you that as of now the accessories for the device are not yet released.
Freddie: They will be released once the device is released officially from the carriers.
John: Okay, so then Friday is looking hopeful. Thanks, I'll check back then
John: have a great day
Freddie: You can also purchase the Samsung Mobile Elite Protection Plan too once the device is rteleased,

phone-a-holic

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site

This is very interesting. Will it only charge to 50%, or is that just a guideline- 50% in 30 minutes, and full 100% after 2 hours?

I just realized that wireless charging actually opens up some possibilities for battery pack cases. Usually, battery pack cases are usually very bulky, and long. This is due to the connector being at the bottom so that it can connect to the microUSB port. With wireless charging, that's not a requirement. Who will make a fast wireless charging battery pack with a microSD card slot?

Incipio

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I had the S6 and there was no way the battery lasted longer than the G4 I had. This is why benchmarks are crap. They're not accurate.

Different users have different experiences
I used to get 6+ hours screen time on my S6
Now I can't, probably because I downloaded a bunch of stuff

feragola

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site

You could have 35 Independent Judges Certify results and people would still claim they are false. Especially if it doesn't fit their narrative.

feragola

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site

Wondering where 2 hrs came from?
Chances are it charges to full in around 58mins like the battery test suggests on PhoneArena.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

What's awesome it that the people that have the phone are saying the battery life is excellent. It's the people that don't have it and still don't like it that say the battery life is crap..

wvtarheel

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site

I wonder how long until the third party accessory designers begin releasing wireless fast charge capable accessories? I want to order a qi platter but I hate to order one, only to have a faster one released like a week later...

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

This battery test is bull crap based on my real world usage scenario... My iPhone 6 and Nexus 6 lasts way longer than the S6. I would wait for someone to use the phone normally and report battery tests than useless custom scripts. Though with 3000 mah battery I don't think it will be problem getting thru the work day with Note 5 unlike the S6.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The problem with real world tests is that in the real world we all use our phones differently. Benchmarks aren't elegant but right now they're unfortunately the only tests we have that use a consistent testing environment for all comparisons.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

The problem with real world tests is that in the real world we all use our phones differently. Benchmarks aren't elegant but right now they're unfortunately the only tests we have that use a consistent testing environment for all comparisons.

Very much so .. This is my favorite disclaimer at the bottom of phone battery results. It is my favorite because it is true. One phone could last someone all day and I could wreck the battery in 2 hours -- just depends what you do.

Actual battery performance will vary and depends on many factors including signal strength, network configuration, age of battery, operating temperature, features selected, device settings (including screen brightness), and voice, data and other application usage patterns.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

This or having people with same apps and settings (like me that ALWAYS set my phones exactly the same), nothing beats real usage on an almost exact scenario (only difference is default apps that come with the phones from different OEMs). This will always give you a better idea of how this phones compare, so basically in theory, is the same technique that Phone Arena and others use.

I don't work for any of this companies nor I'm a stock holder or any of them, so I couldn't care less which of them is King or is better I don't get into those small online fights, I know what I know, most of the time, based on my own experience and I come here to share that with all of you. You don't know how tiresome is to hear the same people doubting of what we share, thinking that there is this massive complot or Conspiracy if what we share is not their own experience, even worse is when we are accused of crippling our devices by removing bloatware or disabling services that we will never use.

Anyway, back to the topic, with that in mind, and having more than a dozen of phones between 2014 and 2015, a lot of those are in the above list, I can say that my results are mostly the same than what is showing on that list. Even if you think I cripple my device or not, you can't deny, that by doing the same to all my phones make things even and more practical to do this kind of comparisons, so Xperia was king of battery of all my previous phones (just like it shows in the list if we remove the Motorola Droid Turbo that I will never own because first, I don't have Verizon and second, I don't like it a bit) until I got my Galaxy S6 Active a couple of weeks ago, this thing is a beast, currently charging it once every 2 days and an average of 8 hours of SoT for my usage.

To answer to the post above where it says that there is no way that the LG G4 is that bad and compared it to the S6, yes, the LG G4 has been my second worst phone ever on battery life just better than the Moto X 2014 even after 3 factory reset, I gave up on it and returned it to T-Mobile after just 8 days, and again, with same settings and apps that I have set all my phones for the past years.

If I agree with the top phone in there, and go from the top to bottom, all of the phones I've had are shown in that list exactly as I'd put them, then I don't doubt that the S6 edge + and Note 5 are capable of the battery life shown on it.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Very much so .. This is my favorite disclaimer at the bottom of phone battery results. It is my favorite because it is true. One phone could last someone all day and I could wreck the battery in 2 hours -- just depends what you do.

True.

Also, doesn't network play a role? I swear I've seen people on T-Mobile report better battery than someone on Verizon with the same device. My Droid Turbo is great but I've seen stats on other carriers with worse battery life phones that outperform mine. Basically same settings and screen time but other variables do apply

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

True.

Also, doesn't network play a role? I swear I've seen people on T-Mobile report better battery than someone on Verizon with the same device. My Droid Turbo is great but I've seen stats on other carriers with worse battery life phones that outperform mine. Basically same settings and screen time but other variables do apply

It varies -- just depends on how strong the Verizon or T-Mobile signal is. If you're in a weak signal area where the phone has to really fight for it the battery will drop. I got a cell booster at my house for T-Mobile and it has made my battery barley move since the phone can snag the signal without much effort.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

It varies -- just depends on how strong the Verizon or T-Mobile signal is. If you're in a weak signal area where the phone has to really fight for it the battery will drop. I got a cell booster at my house for T-Mobile and it has made my battery barley move since the phone can snag the signal without much effort.

Ah, okay. My signal at home on Verizon is generally 101-107 dBm in LTE. I notice my battery lasts longer when I'm at my friends and signal is below 100 dBm. I do keep Advanced Calling active at all times although that doesn't have a negative effect.

Boost my signal Verizon!

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

I read that the Note5 is compatible with the other charging standards also. ANyone know what the differences are between them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrussellcampbell