Note 5 - New killer features from T-Mobile, RCS and Video calling

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
With today's new updates for latest Samsung Galaxy flagships lineup, T-mobile has taken another huge step in separate themselves from the rest of the so called large carriers, the same that month by month just add more and more bloatware with a real benefit for the customers. T-mobile has begun to update their latest flagships to be able to use the latest in technology and after proven the Video calling I can honestly say that it's GREAT.

In order to use the Video calling you'll need to have VoLTE on, and I'm glad to report that finally they activated that for my area recently because now I just turned it back on after turning it off to prevent Cell Standby drain, and it's working as expected, great LTE speeds while in a phone call, and the Video call went through without a hiccup.

Now, the new killer feature, the RCS, by nature is a great addition, I just checked at the new settings on the default messaging app (sorry to not being able to use Textra now) and now I see a setting under Chat settings that ask you for the multimedia limit, by default is 9765 MB and you can change it to No Limits.

IMHO, this 2 new features from T-Mobile are killer features and possible Game changers in the Industry, what do you think?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: New killer features from T-Mobile, RCS and Video calling

What game are they changing? Verizon has had video calling and VOLTE for a long time now. It's not killing anything else. For me it works like Skype and Hangouts. Basically, meh.. I don't know what RCS is, but why would I want to send large files by text anyway? I don't see any of this as anything more than catching up ...

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Not sure I would say game changer as Verizon has been doing it for some time now(I could do it on my note 4 now my s6 edge+). It's convenient if both people are on the same network with volte capable phones. Won't be a killer feature though until you can use these features with people on different carriers. That's what I'm waiting on to truly rival apples facetime.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site

What is RCS???

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

What game are they changing? Verizon has had video calling and VOLTE for a long time now. It's not killing anything else. For me it works like Skype and Hangouts. Basically, meh.. I don't know what RCS is, but why would I want to send large files by text anyway? I don't see any of this as anything more than catching up ...

You may not know what RCS is and may not want to send large files but MOST people with iOS love so much iMessage that it's practically the same, so having it finally on Android on one of the OEMs Default message app is a huge step, this will undeniably move the other large carriers to do the same eventually, isn't that a game changer?

Not sure I would say game changer as Verizon has been doing it for some time now(I could do it on my note 4 now my s6 edge+). It's convenient if both people are on the same network with volte capable phones. Won't be a killer feature though until you can use these features with people on different carriers. That's what I'm waiting on to truly rival apples facetime.

Yes, I know Verizon had that before but now with another carrier will also force others to follow the leaders and who knows maybe something may happen between all of them.

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Sprint has this also called advanced messaging

Posted via the Android Central App

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

What is RCS???

T-Mobile's RCS-based Advanced Messaging service will support a number of new services, including group messaging, message delivery and read-mail notices, and the ability to send high-resolution photos and videos up to 10 MB. (source)

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Sprint has this also called advanced messaging

Posted via the Android Central App

Here are some important points on the article linked above:

- I’m excited to announce T-Mobile is now the first and only wireless provider in the nation to offer messaging built on a standard called Rich Communications Services (RCS). We call it T-Mobile Advanced Messaging and it takes text messaging into the mobile internet age.

- Advanced Messaging comes with a range of new messaging enhancements …
Rich 1 on 1 and group messaging, including near real-time chat
See when others are typing, when your message is delivered and even read
Share high-res photos and videos up to 10 MB just as you would a regular text message
And T-Mobile Advanced Messaging is built to work across all devices, makers and operating systems—and wireless operators.

- For now, this is something you can only get at T-Mobile— though I expect our announcement will be a wake-up call for the old carriers to get moving with RCS, so customers can enjoy these next-gen services working across wireless providers.

That last paragraph is exactly what I meant by Game changer, we can just hope other carriers hear the wake-up call.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Just to add something that I forgot in the OP. You don't need the Wifi calling on, just VoLTE. Also, I just tested and VoLTE needs to active in just the device that originates the call, the recipient may have it turned off and it still works.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Just to add something that I forgot in the OP. You don't need the Wifi calling on, just VoLTE. Also, I just tested and VoLTE needs to active in just the device that originates the call, the recipient may have it turned off and it still works.

Did you know that it also functions like Imessage and hangouts(where it shows you if the other person has read the message and if they are typing)? It's only for T-mobile customers but I personally don't like that feature. I like my privacy lol...

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Did you know that it also functions like Imessage and hangouts(where it shows you if the other person has read the message and if they are typing)? It's only for T-mobile customers but I personally don't like that feature. I like my privacy lol...

You can turn both of those things off if you don't like them.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

Where do you go in settings to view if VoLTE is enabled or not (I looked for it but couldn't find it)?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

The video calling -- yes T-Mobile is catching up on that. T-Mobile had VoLTE up and running before Verizon did though. In all honesty it doesn't matter that much but just wanted to let you know how it rolled out :).

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

The video calling -- yes T-Mobile is catching up on that. T-Mobile had VoLTE up and running before Verizon did though. In all honesty it doesn't matter that much but just wanted to let you know how it rolled out :).

Thanks. It is great to have these things for sure. Sometimes the hyperbole is a bit much is all. VOLTE, HD calling, Video carrier calling and RCS are all good things. just maybe not "game changing" is all.

Myles Michaels

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site

I'm not seeing the features of the RCS other than the larger file size allowance. I don't see the real-time (chat) feature that shows when a person is writing back and has read my messages. Can anyone provide with help on how to activate that?

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

I'm not seeing the features of the RCS other than the larger file size allowance. I don't see the real-time (chat) feature that shows when a person is writing back and has read my messages. Can anyone provide with help on how to activate that?
I was looking at different messaging apps a couple of weeks ago and checked every setting on every messaging app I had and I did notice that there was a no limit size back then. I don't think that's new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Novatian