Note 7 - This lag is unfreakingbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Having read the threads in this section I admit I am a bit nervous. I am about to purchase the Note 7 coming from a Note 4. So I could do with the update. But lag is not something I would expect from a Note. Never has that issue before with my Note 2, 3 and 4. (Before that I was into Apple) I have 2 friends here in Canada that pre-ordered it so I think I'll hold out a bit and see what their experience is like before making my purchase.

If you read the forums after every release it will make you nervous to get each phone.

I have yet to experience the problems that pop up like this after each release.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Having read the threads in this section I admit I am a bit nervous. I am about to purchase the Note 7 coming from a Note 4. So I could do with the update. But lag is not something I would expect from a Note. Never has that issue before with my Note 2, 3 and 4. (Before that I was into Apple) I have 2 friends here in Canada that pre-ordered it so I think I'll hold out a bit and see what their experience is like before making my purchase.

I came from a Note 4, and I am very very happy. The fingerprint scanning is lightyears better, and I like a number of the other features. I think you will see it as a clear upgrade.

Arsenio Martins

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: This lag is unfreakingbelievable

It is at .5. I changed it when I was experiencing the lag and changing the app animation didn't help.
So far changing the scaling from small to large, I see a difference.
Yep. Maybe it's wishful thinking but I turned off scaling, resulting in the larger notifications panel and larger icons which I'm not crazy about, and the phone definitely is faster with less lag. Makes sense if it has to scale everything on the fly.

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I was getting very bad lag. Even when typing. I've done the following and its much better:

Increased scaling to large and back to small
Disabled Lookout, S Voice, and Samsung+
Uninstalled Google Keyboard

I ran Google Launcher too i tried all that, it's not Touch Wiz.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

I think you should be able to have it all. The nice Samsung features, as well as a smooth, fast Android experience. My Note 5 was smoother than the Note 7 and, one of my favorite phones until the Nexus 6P came out. My S7 Edge runs smooth also.

I agree with you. I suspect something is wrong with a batch of Note 7s. The lag and speed issues are not universal. Mine is very slow and laggy with identical apps and launcher (Nova) as my S7 Edge, which I haven't sold yet. I've disabled the same packages using Package Disabler Pro other than of course the S-Pen related ones.

Both are US, T-Mobile, SD820 devices with the same U3 microSD card. The S7 edge is very snappy, and more than reasonable enough, but the Note is just dog slow. I decided to run the same benchmarking apps on both, and found that AnTuTu, Geek Bench et al all show the Note to be significantly worse, not only than my S7 Edge, but also than the scores listed for the Note 7 in an article on this site.

So my unit must be defective. I've tried wiping system cache, etc. Nothing has worked. At this point, I'm either going to try to get an exchange, or just return it and keep the S7 Edge. But I don't think that people who are claiming their Notes are laggy are wrong, not are those that are claiming their Notes are super snappy wrong. There is some kind of manufacturing issue somewhere. Too many people on both sides.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I agree with you. I suspect something is wrong with a batch of Note 7s. The lag and speed issues are not universal. Mine is very slow and laggy with identical apps and launcher (Nova) as my S7 Edge, which I haven't sold yet. I've disabled the same packages using Package Disabler Pro other than of course the S-Pen related ones.

Both are US, T-Mobile, SD820 devices with the same U3 microSD card. The S7 edge is very snappy, and more than reasonable enough, but the Note is just dog slow. I decided to run the same benchmarking apps on both, and found that AnTuTu, Geek Bench et al all show the Note to be significantly worse, not only than my S7 Edge, but also than the scores listed for the Note 7 in an article on this site.

So my unit must be defective. I've tried wiping system cache, etc. Nothing has worked. At this point, I'm either going to try to get an exchange, or just return it and keep the S7 Edge. But I don't think that people who are claiming their Notes are laggy are wrong, not are those that are claiming their Notes are super snappy wrong. There is some kind of manufacturing issue somewhere. Too many people on both sides.

Have you done a reset? You will have to reset it anyway before they will exchange it.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

Have you done a reset? You will have to reset it anyway before they will exchange it.

That's the only thing I haven't done. But there have been no software updates since i got it, so theoretically it shouldn't be necessary. Still, it's worth a shot. I'll do one tonight and update.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

That's the only thing I haven't done. But there have been no software updates since i got it, so theoretically it shouldn't be necessary. Still, it's worth a shot. I'll do one tonight and update.

Sometimes it can fix issues. Also you can try it in safe mode and see if you are experiencing lag then.

Also a reset like this, I would set up as a new phone, not restore.

If it isn't happening in safe mode, then you need to look at your apps.

Right now I have media server showing up on my Note 5 with a new battery, eating my battery like crazy. A reset is the only thing in an do, that has a chance to fix that.

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I really have nothing else I can say. I've used every phone that's been relevant over the past 6+ years aside from the OnePlus 3. I've got prior mobile experience with Verizon. I do everything short of making this a full time job/reviewing them for a living. I'm not saying the performance is perfect---no device is. I'm just saying that a lot of what's being described sounds like recycled complaints from prior Samsung devices from accounts that are new here on these forums.

If you expected this device to be as smooth as the iPhone or the Nexus 6P, you had the wrong expectations going in. If you expected it to be as fast, you expected right and were rewarded with a device that's every bit as fast as either of those devices.
What if I just expected it to be as fast as my Note 5?!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Also I would use my Samsung Plus app if it is still happening. It isn't 800 Samsung, do a video chat and you can keep your camera off. Let them remote into the device and experience the lag.

If there are people experiencing the lag that way and reported, after a certain number of reports, it triggers an automatic investigation at Samsung.

But again.. Samsung Plus using the video chat is NOT 800 Samsung. It is one small department, everyone located in the same building, actually the same floor in the building, located in TX. It is a new department they started over a year ago for technical support. They know how bad 800 Samsung is for support. Samsung Plus can and will escalate problems that can't be resolved.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
For those getting the lag, did you restore from a Google backup or use Smart Switch? Those that aren't getting the lag, did you set up as a new device?

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
For those getting the lag, did you restore from a Google backup or use Smart Switch? Those that aren't getting the lag, did you set up as a new device?

I set my device up as a new device. I only transferred my pictures via Smart switch. I am having zero issues with performance. It is very smooth and battery life has been great!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I haven't. I saw you recommend someone do a reset. I have wiped my phone once already, but I let my apps pop over from my Google account and used a backed up version of Nova (from my N5). Do you think that could be causing an issue?

Yes that could be. If I ever do a reset because of a problem, I never copy over. I reset as a new device with new downloads.

I also do a reset through recovery and not the menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.