Note 8 Wireless Charging Question

ccigas

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Hey everyone, my Note 8 is coming in on Friday and with the announcement of the new iPhones, I had a question about the Note 8 or other Android phones wireless charging capabilities. In the new iPhone, you can use wireless charging to also handle CarPlay with out a wire physically going into the phone, whether how good or bad it is, is unknown but this got me thinking. Can the newer android phones like the Note 8 also handle this? Is there even an aftermarket wireless charger that could do this?

I like the idea of it since well if you want your phone to charge, it needs to be placed down and then if you really need to use it, you can use the car features.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
They both use Qi charging, so any car wireless Qi charger should work with the Note 8, the same as with the iPhone 8.

ccigas

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I meant the data portion of it. The new iPhone can handle data over what seems like the Qi pad in the car that they showed. Is that something new to the industry or can Android phones handle that too?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I meant the data portion of it. The new iPhone can handle data over what seems like the Qi pad in the car that they showed. Is that something new to the industry or can Android phones handle that too?

Why would would want to do that? If you remove the phone from the charger then it would break the connection to CarPlay. I bet that it wasn't Qi talking to CarPlay but the iPhone talking to CarPlay via bluetooth while sitting in the Qi charger.

ccigas

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Why would would want to do that? If you remove the phone from the charger then it would break the connection to CarPlay. I bet that it wasn't Qi talking to CarPlay but the iPhone talking to CarPlay via bluetooth while sitting in the Qi charger.

Well they said it was through the wireless function which seemed like the wireless charging pad. And the reason is because if you pick it up while driving, then boom you lose charging and carplay functionality which means less people would pick it up. Im guessing thats not a thing in android. no problem

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Well they said it was through the wireless function which seemed like the wireless charging pad. And the reason is because if you pick it up while driving, then boom you lose charging and carplay functionality which means less people would pick it up. Im guessing thats not a thing in android. no problem

One thing wrong with that assumption. It presumes that the phone, when picked up, is in the hands of the driver. Often that's not the case. I can't imagine that Apple has gone so nanny as to have CarPlay disabled if the phone is picked up.

There is no transmit function in the Qi standard. Apple is not doing this. They're using bluetooth.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Qi doesn't do data, just power. "Wireless" data can also mean Bluetooth, which is probably what they were referring to. I don't care what Apple does - you just can't get data through Qi, any more than you can charge the battery through Bluetooth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinrshay1984