Notification questions

rlridgeway

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I have a couple of questions about notifications.
How do I get notifications (from the scroll down bar) to list in chronological order? They seem to list almost haphazardly.
Is there an easy way to see what apps use notifications and what sounds they use? What is the best way to edit the notification defaults of these?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
To see Notification details go to Settings > Notifications. There is a drop down next to All Apps to help show & filter which apps have the different levels. As far as sounds, those are normally set & edited within each individual app. Most apps that are allowed to show a notification have their own app Settings and that's where the sound is selected.

d41b34aa05ca2f960969bd07097fb622.jpg

rlridgeway

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replys.

"Reverse chronological order"...Does that mean earliest time at top of screen or bottom?

I am not sure which apps are out of order.
Here is the times of app notifications in my list from top of list right now:
18 hours, Facebook
20 minutes, Ring
3 hours, Gmail
14 hours, Twitter
12 minutes, Messages
11 hours, Google Play Store

Where do I see the apps stated notification priority or importance? Can I change that?
Why does the use of an alert change the order? Can I change that?
Why does the having a person attached to the notification effect the order? Can I change that?
Why would another ongoing activity be listed as anything other than when it started? Can I select how those are dealt with?

I would like all all the apps list in chronological order despite having an sound or vibration alert, whether someone is attached to the notification, or if it is an ongoing activity.

Thanks again for any help.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Reverse chronological order means most recent at the top of the list.

I don't think there's an easy way to reset this ranking system and have a pure chronological order. With the contacts the only way could be 'unstarring' them and with apps I think you have to manually change their importance after enabling the System UI Tuner.

In general Instant Message apps will come first and low priority apps will be 'buried' at the bottom of the list. This ranking is define by the type of app (set by the system) and the own app settings.

I've never tried to reset this order, but I've changed some notification settings for different reasons (sound, peek, DND ...). I defined starred contacts to see any notification from them first and, in some cases, override the Do Not Disturb mode, so I only get notifications from them when it's enabled.

I know this doesn't help you much though, sorry. :(

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
That's about all I have ever done also, set Starred contacts to override DND. I can't really help answer the questions either, I have never tried to change the Notification order. I'm one of those people that has to clear all Notifications as soon as they appear on my phone. I never have any active notification for more than a few minutes.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
That's about all I have ever done also, set Starred contacts to override DND. I can't really help answer the questions either, I have never tried to change the Notification order. I'm one of those people that has to clear all Notifications as soon as they appear on my phone. I never have any active notification for more than a few minutes.
Yeah, same here. Having different rules to override DND is very important for me and I prefer sorting my notifications by importance instead of time of arrival.

I know OP, not much help for you. :)

Another thing. I think apps like Facebook/ FB Messenger set themselves as high priority and you'd have to manually change this setting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance