Notification sounds soft

mango1228

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Set up and whatsapp and all notifications to sms are so soft. Did 2 factory resets

What can I do to fix it

When I go into *#0*# the speaker is loud

Advice pls or return for another

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Did you check your volume settings for Notifications? If you are using custom ringtone/notification sounds and you play the file with the music player, does it sound the same? What about playing a video, does it sound muted or loud enough?

mango1228

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Did you check your volume settings for Notifications? If you are using custom ringtone/notification sounds and you play the file with the music player, does it sound the same? What about playing a video, does it sound muted or loud enough?
Video and music from music player is loud . Only notifications on sms and whatsapp

flashram

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
I'm about ready to return the phone for this same reason. I doubt exchanging it is going to make any difference.
Something is not right with the notification sounds coming out of the bottom speaker on the S9+. They are WAY too soft and muddled. I have my Note 8 sitting next to me and the same notification sounds are loud and crisp at a much lower setting. The S9+ even at max volume is way too soft. However, playing a podcast or youtube video the S9+ sounds great compared to the Note 8. Much Louder and clearer. The difference is notification sounds are only coming out of the bottom speaker while media playback is coming out of the earpiece speaker AND the bottom speaker at the same time. The poor quality sound is when the bottom speaker is outputting by itself.

trae4nato

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm about ready to return the phone for this same reason. I doubt exchanging it is going to make any difference.
Something is not right with the notification sounds coming out of the bottom speaker on the S9+. They are WAY too soft and muddled. I have my Note 8 sitting next to me and the same notification sounds are loud and crisp at a much lower setting. The S9+ even at max volume is way too soft. However, playing a podcast or youtube video the S9+ sounds great compared to the Note 8. Much Louder and clearer. The difference is notification sounds are only coming out of the bottom speaker while media playback is coming out of the earpiece speaker AND the bottom speaker at the same time. The poor quality sound is when the bottom speaker is outputting by itself.

I just got my S9+ today and I'm having the same issue. The notifications on the S9+ are quiet and not loud. Tell me if you get another one. Let me know. Same thing is happening to me but I think this can be fixed with a software update.

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Did you go into setting > sounds and vibration > Volume and increase the volume for Notifications?

Mine is loud.
45f67ac7f0c50690425ddad913cbef58.jpg

flashram

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I know how to adjust the volume sliders. I've set them the same on a Note 8, S8, and S9+ and played the same files back at the same levels. The S9+ sounds considerably worse for notification output and considerably better for media output. Also, adjusting those sliders isn't going to help with the quality of the sound. Why can't they just enable both speakers for notifications? That would without a doubt solve the issue.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Set up and whatsapp and all notifications to sms are so soft. Did 2 factory resets

What can I do to fix it

When I go into *#0*# the speaker is loud

Advice pls or return for another

Open the volume controls & turn "system" up all the way. Then control each (ringtones, notifications, media, etc) accordingly.

ahmadveg

May 16, 2011
Visit site
having the same problem. volume on all sliders is all the way to the right and I can barely hear notifications. very disappointed in this. hopefully if it becomes a known issue an update can fix this.

Synctek

Mar 29, 2018
Visit site
Just got mine. The first thing I noticed when playing around with ringtones and notifications is...notifications come from the ear speaker only while ringtones are in stereo (ear and bottom speaker). There doesn't seem to be a way to change either tone option that I could find.

Sunun

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
The same issue, but i checked and found that the same sound is low on viber and in telegram and very high in whatsapp

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
That's because some apps are using both speakers and some are only using one.
Also some apps are using the ringtone sound channel and others are using the notification sound channel.
I think the app developers need to update their apps to use both speakers and the correct sound channel.

Last edited:

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
That will help but don't know how much.
Also bear in mind that the ringtone sound channel will play through both speakers but the notification sound channel only plays through the bottom speaker.
So apps like whatsapp will always sound louder because the app is using the ringtone sound channel therefore it is using both speakers for the notification sounds.