Notifications only arriving when screen is powered on

freypal

May 30, 2017
Visit site
I got myself a new Galaxy S7 a few days ago. It's all been fine except the past few days I've noticed that when sat idle for any period of time, notifications don't seem to arrive.

Always on screen shows nothing has arrived. But if I power on the screen then a glut of emails or other notifications will arrive. Obviously a big issue as im not getting alerted to new notifications ☹

Any ideas? I've been through all the settings I can think of and nada. I've turned it off and on and still the same. Happens on Wi-Fi and on mobile data.

Thanks

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
My initial thought is this is related to the battery-saving Doze feature that puts the phone to sleep after 30 minutes of unuse. If this is the case, you can tag apps to "not be battery optimized".

freypal

May 30, 2017
Visit site
I've ensured it's not in a power saving mode. Also I'd read doze had been replaced with something else now on samsung phones?

It seems to save power on apps not used for 3 days from what I've seen...

To add to this it seems like it might only be happening when I move from home to another location. I did a test last night at home and emailed myself at 4am after the phone having been idle for 5hrs and the notification came through instantly.

This morning coming into work again left my phone idle on my desk and i didnt get any emails come through until I turned the screen on.

It's on WiFi at home and not when at work. After the initial wake up it will then seem to work ok through the day. Possibly something throwing it off when it leaves the WiFi area?

freypal

May 30, 2017
Visit site
Ok so a bit more digging and testing on this.

2 nights ago I left phone on charge and emailed it at 5am. Email came through instantly.

Last night I charged it before bed then left it off charge. Emailed it again at 5am and the email came through around 15mins late.

Got into work this morning and didn't touch it. I tested with a WhatsApp notification which appeared instantly. Still didn't touch the phone and eventually some emails appeared 18mins late.

Once unlocked emails appear to now come through pushed again.

Conclusion so far is that it must be something sleep related. When on charge apps arent sleeping. But also whatsapp appears to not sleep at all.

I've tested with two email clients, outlook and gmail and they both exhibit the same delayed behaviour. Seems very strange.

Having dug through app and system settings there is nothing suggesting that WhatsApp is configured differently to outlook/gmail. Is there something I could be missing?

Or is this actually just normal behaviour?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood