Odd startup and progress bar this morning.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm one of those who turns my phone off every night. This morning when I pressed the power button I was doing something in the kitchen and turned around and looked at my p6p a couple of minutes later and noticed it was still booting up, which never takes that long.

It had the colorful Google G on the screen and a progress bar like it was installing something. I caught it when it was at 90 percent complete and watched it move to 100 and then finish. It looked like some type of update, but nothing else showed on the screen.

I used my PIN to get started and all looked normal, but after a couple of minutes when the screen locked and I tried to go back in, the only way I could was to use my PIN as the fingerprint scanner was missing. I restarted again and all works fine.

Has anyone else had this behavior? I wonder what updated?

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm one of those who turns my phone off every night. This morning when I pressed the power button I was doing something in the kitchen and turned around and looked at my p6p a couple of minutes later and noticed it was still booting up, which never takes that long.

It had the colorful Google G on the screen and a progress bar like it was installing something. I caught it when it was at 90 percent complete and watched it move to 100 and then finish. It looked like some type of update, but nothing else showed on the screen.

I used my PIN to get started and all looked normal, but after a couple of minutes when the screen locked and I tried to go back in, the only way I could was to use my PIN as the fingerprint scanner was missing. I restarted again and all works fine.

Interestingly, when I rebooted my phone yesterday, I noticed the same thing.
(I don't recall that the fingerprint scanner was missing, since it always asks for a password/PIN after a reboot)

bkrickles

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

I had the same minus the fingerprint issue. Have no clue what it is.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Just restarted and had the same behaviour... I'm in the UK when the December patch.

Maybe a stealth update to fix signal issues?

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Maybe Google adding something nefarious they don't want us to know about.. ??????. By the way, I'm in Phoenix, AZ with a Verizon version of the Pro.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Interestingly, when I rebooted my phone yesterday, I noticed the same thing.
(I don't recall that the fingerprint scanner was missing, since it always asks for a password/PIN after a reboot)

In my case, I entered my PIN on startup since that is always required, but the next time my phone was locked and I tried to unlock it no FPS, not even the symbol for where to place your finger was there. A restart and all was bank as it should be.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Could it have been a Google Play system update (not the monthly security update)? Go to Settings>Security and tell us which month you're on. I'm still on November for Google Play.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Could it have been a Google Play system update (not the monthly security update)? Go to Settings>Security and tell us which month you're on. I'm still on November for Google Play.

I'm on December 1st, so that's probably it.

Didn't know they needed a reboot to apply.

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I just restarted to see what would happen and it installed for me, too. Play Services 12/1. Thanks.

I didn't know it required a restart either.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

I was thinking the same thing. I manually checked for the play update yesterday and received it so it's probably doing it automatically today.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Same thing happened when I rebooted my phone this morning but it says I still have November update, on my P6P on Verizon. Wasn't sure what it was.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

I was thinking the same thing. I manually checked for the play update yesterday and received it so it's probably doing it automatically today.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site

Not in my case at least. Just checked my Play System and it's still on November 1st.Screenshot_20211222-131801.jpg

tmurphx5

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Having read this post I powered down and back up and it started up doing some type of install as I saw the line/% increase but when I checked the security update is still at Nov 5 and Play system is at Nov 1. I restarted again, no line/% second time and dates still show Nov.

Pixel69

Dec 21, 2021
Visit site
Same thing happened when I rebooted my phone this morning but it says I still have November update, on my P6P on Verizon. Wasn't sure what it was.

When I went to Google play system, it said I had to reboot for an update. During reboot it indicated that it was updating (0% to 100%) bar.... but it still says November 1, 2021 update. Strange

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Dec 1. No idea how long it has been on Dec 1. Good to know this. P6 Pro. Verizon. Iowa

Last edited:

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I got curious and checked on my 4XL, in the bottom left corner said to reboot, I did, it loaded something but the site still says 11/1/21 as it was before I rebooted. Weird....