Official Froyo Update on the Epic on Dec 26th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericizzy1

May 17, 2010
Visit site
and, its not as wide as the evo (fits better in the hand) , its faster even with 2.1, no screen protector needed, etc...
easy decision for me.

hucworld

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I had to check for myself so I called Sprint to see if I could trade in my Epic 4G for a EVO and they told me I couldn't. I think I am going to find someone on Craigslist and trade them.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think everyone who is disappointed with Sammy/Sprint about Froyo needs to either..

1. Stick it out with Eclair until the official build does come out.

2. Go with the leaked DK-28 Froyo and/or root the phone and check out the custom ROMs offered and be A LOT happier than you are now.

Why I say this? Because I've watched all the complaining about GPS, no Flash, no option to move to SD card and other Froyo options and if you did check out the leaked and/or root and custom ROMs we are having almost no problems at all and we are enjoying those features now...

Even once Froyo is dropped finally, its either going to be 100% right from the start or require a few updates like the Evo and other devices that have been running Froyo to get the Froyo bugs worked out...

Note: These are my opinions, don't take it the wrong way just pointing out some options that people seem to keep overlooking...

Reactions: Biggnaa20

gmanunited

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I think everyone who is disappointed with Sammy/Sprint about Froyo needs to either..

2. Go with the leaked DK-28 Froyo and/or root the phone and check out the custom ROMs offered and be A LOT happier than you are now.

Why I say this? Because I've watched all the complaining about GPS, no Flash, no option to move to SD card and other Froyo options and if you did check out the leaked and/or root and custom ROMs we are having almost no problems at all and we are enjoying those features now...

Even once Froyo is dropped finally, its either going to be 100% right from the start or require a few updates like the Evo and other devices that have been running Froyo to get the Froyo bugs worked out...

Note: These are my opinions, don't take it the wrong way just pointing out some options that people seem to keep overlooking...

Unfortunately I am beginning to agree. I tried to wait but this is too long. Samsung cannot get out their own way on this one. We have to take things in our own hands. Now I have rooted and I still think I will wait to see what happens after the first of the year with froyo. But Samsung will never have me again as a customer of their phones.

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
At the end of the day. Sprint & other carriers are about making money and trust that is the reason for the delay.......Not sure & @ this point I am conveinced , that if us tech junkies can configure worable roms, I should have FAITH that Sprints engineers can certainly make 1 hell they have ONLY had what roughly 4 months the shelf life forthis is growing near an end in 2 months...before the next Epic 2 is talked about. My next phone will be on craigslist or bought expecting NOTHING! But what I paid for, unfair I know BUT once someon gets your money they tend to change their conversation .....

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

techiechick

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

While I completely agree with you... and I see we are both running the same custom ROM... the problem is that the average consumer is not comfortable with rooting or replacing their stock ROMs. Therefore the manufacturers/carriers need to step up to the plate and do right by the consumer.
I do not work for Samsung/Sprint, so I may be incorrect, but it appears that they are both quite comfortable with letting the existing product lines languish while they move on to the next, more profitable device. It might be a good business decision for them in the short term - but I can assure you - that in the long term, customers do not forget dissatisfaction.
I really like Sprint, but I had some misgivings about going with Samsung in the first place... between the track record of the Moment and the Instinct, need I say more? I had an Evo and traded it for the Epic, strictly because I need a keyboard. I was hoping Samsung had a winning device and would support it properly. Not to say there is anything wrong with the Epic - I just don't care for being left so far behind in the OS. Especially when it is now obvious they were spending all their time on the Nexus S.
I will be ditching Samsung as soon as I can. Not because I can't/won't root and ROM, but because the lack of support for future OS releases shows a lack of concern for current customers in favor of new customers. Call me old fashioned, but that's just wrong. And I won't be rewarding that type of corporate behavior with future purchases.
Looking forward to seeing that HTC Shift next month.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
the problem is that the average consumer is not comfortable with rooting or replacing their stock ROMs. Therefore the manufacturers/carriers need to step up to the plate and do right by the consumer.

This is a catch-22 because the average consumer does not know or care what operating system their phone has, and would probably give you the deer-in-headlights look if you started talking about Eclair and Froyo. Remember that this forum is an extremely small subset of the entire Epic user base.

And to all that plan on selling their Epics and going to Evos - be careful, because in a few months you may be having this same discussion in the Evo forum about Gingerbread. Remember that from Eclair to Froyo the Android OS was build around the HTC Nexus One. Starting with Gingerbread, the Android OS is being built around the Samsung Nexus Two. It is very likely that starting with Gingerbread we will be right behind the Nexus Two update-wise, since it is practically a Galaxy S phone.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I can't say I'm not a bit disappointed but the only things I am looking forward to with froyo are the apps to sd and flash. I am not having any gps issues since applying the GPS fix here in this forum.

I would root, change roms and load froyo as a lot of you have done but what would it do to my warranty? I pay the $7/month for the insurance and will it still cover a rooted phone?

ejohnnyk

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Four months after this phone was released, still no Froyo? Wow! That's pretty sad.

10 million Galaxy S phones sold worldwide, yet none in the U.S. have Froyo. Wow! That's pretty sad.

Android is better than iPhone, but only if you have 2.2 - which I don't have... still. Wow! That's pretty sad.

Without 2.2 my Epic is about as useless as an iPhone. I bought an Android phone so I could watch Flash videos. The clerk at the Sprint store told me in September, the update would be out in WEEKS (Yes, I know 80% of Sprint employees will say anything to sell a phone).

And where's Android Central today, following up on its reporting on a Dec. 26 release date? There's not one post about it.

That release date was probably the original release date for that crappy 2.2 leak that came out a few weeks ago. Even Sprint said the software failed testing and the release was delayed.

Oh well, at least I can play with 2.2 on my friend's Evo (which has one of the worst screens ever imho).

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Four months after this phone was released, still no Froyo? Wow! That's pretty sad.

10 million Galaxy S phones sold worldwide, yet none in the U.S. have Froyo. Wow! That's pretty sad.

Android is better than iPhone, but only if you have 2.2 - which I don't have... still. Wow! That's pretty sad.

Without 2.2 my Epic is about as useless as an iPhone. I bought an Android phone so I could watch Flash videos. The clerk at the Sprint store told me in September, the update would be out in WEEKS (Yes, I know 80% of Sprint employees will say anything to sell a phone).

And where's Android Central today, following up on its reporting on a Dec. 26 release date? There's not one post about it.

That release date was probably the original release date for that crappy 2.2 leak that came out a few weeks ago. Even Sprint said the software failed testing and the release was delayed.

Oh well, at least I can play with 2.2 on my friend's Evo (which has one of the worst screens ever imho).

4 months is actually on par for a lot of other phones when it comes to release - OS update. As for your phone not being as good as the iPhone without 2.2? Thats a personal opinion, and a lot of other people don't share the same sentiments.

As for our not reporting on the issue, there's nothing to report. You can't expect us to make a post saying "Hey, there's no Froyo today". Well, not to sound sarcastic but I can bet most people can tell that just by looking at their phone and seeing no notification for an update.

Windfrenzy

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
What's with all the Samsung bashing? Non-US Epics have Froyo, right? So isn't Sprint the guilty party?

Agree, either deal with it, or do something about it. We'll see how long I can hold out. I just don't want to take the time messing with my phone if the update is right around the corner.

Rderosier86

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
What's with all the Samsung bashing? Non-US Epics have Froyo, right? So isn't Sprint the guilty party?

Agree, either deal with it, or do something about it. We'll see how long I can hold out. I just don't want to take the time messing with my phone if the update is right around the corner.

what other company has the epic

Windfrenzy

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I guess I was remembering reports of other Galaxy S phones getting Froyo. So maybe my point should be that the other US Galaxy S users should be more pissed than us--but at their CARRIERS, not Samsung.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I guess I was remembering reports of other Galaxy S phones getting Froyo. So maybe my point should be that the other US Galaxy S users should be more pissed than us--but at their CARRIERS, not Samsung.

Oh, absolutely. I'm a bit agitated with Samsung, but I'm not angry with them. I am angry with Verizon, because our maintenance update should have been out at least a month ago, and for God knows whatever reason it never came to be.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I can't say I'm not a bit disappointed but the only things I am looking forward to with froyo are the apps to sd and flash. I am not having any gps issues since applying the GPS fix here in this forum.

I would root, change roms and load froyo as a lot of you have done but what would it do to my warranty? I pay the $7/month for the insurance and will it still cover a rooted phone?

It would only present a problem if you brought in your phone for repair or whatever while its rooted. If you needed to have warranty work done your best bet would be to return to stock and there should be no problem. I did the same with my Blackberry curve and Sprint never questioned a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.