Official Signal Strength and Reception Thread

Promoman89

May 15, 2012
Visit site
It seems i've having some radio issues with my Gnex, just got it yesterday (took a leap given I like it better than all the other phones and hoped I would get one without any issues). I have to go on a trip tomorrow to Philly and would much prefer to have a working cell phone than not. i won't have time to change the radios (still on 4.0.2); what IF anything can i do to possibly help this out in the meantime?
Thanks,

king43

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Got a question for you guys, have the mic problem (but fixed it w/ the wired head phone routing fix).. Called them yesterday just to get a replacement and talked with the rep (actually had a VERY GOOD experience with him) he had them send me a NEW non referb phone, now im on a refirb currently (broke screen on my PERFECT nexus that I bought from verizon 3 months ago thus the mic/speaker prob.) that is my ownly problem actually this referb has better reception than my new one that I got from Verizon originally execpet that one glitch...
Along w/ the NEW nexus they sent me a new sim card to... My question to you guys is should I use the new one and send the one I currently have back (like i said no problems except that speaker/mic problem but its fixed using the app) and its setup perfectly.. I hate resetting all my settings to my apps etc. passwords all that jazz... so what do you guys think?
The new one and my referb are both made in Korea too if that has anything to do with anything.

king43

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Just worried that the new one will have the reception issues etc that everybody has mentioned about and with the new update they say will be out later in may has got me concerned, if it will fix the mic issue then im happy w/ my current referb.. and i'll just send the new one back (they said I could keep the sim card they have no use for it.

dcdttu

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Basically if you put your GN next to another Verizon phone, both on 3G only, you'll notice the GN's dBm are much lower than the compared phone: about 10-20dBm less - which is a LOT.

4G reception seems fine. 3G is really the culprit, and is responsible for voice and SMS.

Maybe the 4.0.4 update they're FINALLY pushing out will fix this.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
nope never had a problem with drop calls in my area as my service is fairly good. but before the update the spectrum seemed to have slightly better service. now the tables have turned

To me the whole signal strength is nothing more than a bandwagon for some to hop on. If I'm not dropping calls, experiencing issues with the switch between 3G and 4G, or losing my data connection, the issue of signal strength is irrelevant.

My Bionic routinely shows higher signal strength, but the switch between 3G and 4G is horrible. I drop calls routinely (especially when it switches) and lose data connections. This is even after the updates.

I'll take the "weaker" signal on my GNex any day over the Bionic.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
To me the whole signal strength is nothing more than a bandwagon for some to hop on. If I'm not dropping calls, experiencing issues with the switch between 3G and 4G, or losing my data connection, the issue of signal strength is irrelevant.

My Bionic routinely shows higher signal strength, but the switch between 3G and 4G is horrible. I drop calls routinely (especially when it switches) and lose data connections. This is even after the updates.

I'll take the "weaker" signal on my GNex any day over the Bionic.

Turn off LTE on your Bionic and see if that changes the displayed dbm. I have been told that the Bionic only displayst the dbm of your 3g signal... so it will always display higher sig.

Supposedly have to use logcat to see true LTE signal.

senez

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my 3rd Nexus. The first had the same issues as the current one. The second was perfect until the screen crapped out (ugh).

The 3rd is rooted, on the official 4.0.4 from Verizon. Reception issues seem to be worse than the first.

This is typically what I experience.

I have strong 4G signal. All of a sudden, I have nothing. No cell, 3G, anything. And it'll come back. The picture below is the ninth time (that I'm aware of) in the last 24 hours that this has happened. I've got a ticket in with Verizon's engineers now but I'm not expecting much.

Supremely frustrating as the phone itself is expensive, as well as the service. I don't feel like I'm getting what I paid for at all. And I've been a loyal Verizon customer for more than a decade.

Not sure what to do now.

AuoL6W-CQAAbqdm.png

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm on my 4'th Nexus. We only have 3g in our area and I have no data problems.

Mine just can't seem to pick up and stay connected to a cell signal so I can use it for voice calls.

flighinhigh

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Has a call to Verizon for low signal strength. They replaced the SIM card as it would not download updates. After SIM replacement same signal strength 0-2 or loss of signal. Tech said they are currently working on a fix, need at least two weeks plus of testing to ensure it is fixed. I live in a 3G area only so loose data connection occasionally. I get a signal strength of -100 1asu.

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Is everybody aware that almost all of the signal complaints that this thread was founded on were absolutely false?

bimborn

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
How are they false? Are you not experiencing any signal issues? It's a daily thing for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

hh72385

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Like I posted in another thread, Ive had my nexus for a week and havent had any reception/signal issues at all. I came from a rezound and they are about the same and in some areas my nexus is better.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean that Verizon's service is perfect on ALL phones... What I am stating is that if you read through the first few pages the posts being made are clearly invalid in terms of comparing the GNex to other phones

I think that the misunderstanding over measurement caused a lot of people to misdiagnose what sort of problems they were having... And I still see people making useless comparisons.

Look on the first page... there's a guy looking at Bionic dbm in settings menu and comparing to GNex menu's settings dbm. And then everyone starts talking about awesome motorola radios!! lol

My dad's bionic shows -78 dbm when I have -93... its easy to get upset until you actually compare the same numbers... the Gnex will show identical signal, generally even better!

I hope that when Verizon realized these people were confused, they didn't simply assume there was NO problem with defective and/or regional tower problems.

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I finally seem to have a winner! My third GNEX has a nice looking screen AND doesn't drop calls (fingers crossed)! (FWIW, this one is made in Korea, my others were made in China)...
Now I really REALLY am liking this phone! :)

droogin

Banned
Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Agreed that there are a lot of factors that go into this kind of technology Its impossible to understand fully
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvltech