dakota.breeden

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok so i want this phone because its basically free it gets a stock quadrant that beats the galaxy nexus. But i want roms and kernels and such. So can people post on here what they are trying to do or have already done. Like roms, kernels, and mods. And if anyone needs beta testers post on here too. Thanks :)

Chazor

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
You will be deving for the Viper? You are totally awesome!

im not awesome but thank you and yea i love my viper :D
all the people who use my roms and give feedback and what not are the awsome ones
they are one of the reason devs like me do what we do :)

dakota.breeden

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Well idk what to get now, the viper or the nexus? The Nexus has a ton of roms already and it will get Jelly bean 1st and will have more development, So idk what to get?

wickid_d

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
well plan on making a stock rom a minimum of everything and then start adding tweeks to make it more useable

then i plan on porting miui

then well see whats going on lol

Hailing from M3 and XDA, if you need some help, man, maybe we can work together. I just got this phone for my girl a couple weeks ago, and I've been researching it for days - not only online, but on the phone itself.. digging around in the file structure, checking out all sorts of files, reading through log after log.. AFAICT, I don't think this thing has a stock recovery, at least not in the format we're used to seeing with other devices.. then again, I'm new to LG - I'm used to Samsung, Moto, and Nokia. I've run through a 'cat /proc/last_kmsg' via adb, and in the middle of the log (but I'm guessing from initial boot), it talks about a /system/etc/install_recovery.sh' (I'm guessing a shell script to flash the recovery at initial boot after production) not being found, so it disables flash_recovery.. And I'm assuming this gets called from an /system/etc/init.d(or maybe rc.init/) startup script.. I'm going to try a little trickery of making such a dummy file, and see what last_kmsg says then. If the build that's out is bricking peoples' phones (as I've been reading on AC here), it may be because it's not building a recovery partition in the first place because it's missing the file, and/or function, to do so.

I don't know anything for sure at this point. That's just a guesstimation built around my linux experience reading logs, and porting experience on android.

PM me if you want, and I'll give you what I've been finding..

Peace,
~WickiD~

P.S. My eventual goal with this, is to get CM9 on it for her..

Last edited:

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
install-recovery.sh was somethign taht was introduced in gingerbread, it would ensure the copy of stock recovery would be flashed on every boot. a lot of phone makers have since removed it. its called from init.rc and now it was bricking because i asked for teh stock partitions from people and never got anything, so i suggested testing one of the other lg cayman variants. it works fine assuming you dont restore a nandroid or flash something as the mount points are off in the fstab.

Reactions: wickid_d

wickid_d

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
install-recovery.sh was somethign taht was introduced in gingerbread, it would ensure the copy of stock recovery would be flashed on every boot. a lot of phone makers have since removed it. its called from init.rc and now it was bricking because i asked for teh stock partitions from people and never got anything, so i suggested testing one of the other lg cayman variants. it works fine assuming you dont restore a nandroid or flash something as the mount points are off in the fstab.

Shabby, trust, you're reputation proceeds you over on xda. :) So I trust what you're saying. Can't we break apart one of the other variants, via android kitchen (for the actual recovery.img file), and edit the fstab, and punt it all back on up to Koush's cwm recovery builder, and get a fully working recovery then? I can get you whatever stock stuff you need - not a problem there, that's where my old-school linux experience kicks in. ;) I knew all my linux studying would pay off some day, lol. Right now, my more immediate goal is to get a recovery working, so I can back up my girl's phone, and work more towards my long-term goal of cracking away at some sort of port/variant of ics for her - which, I'm really shocked that with the specs on this phone, that they didn't already release it with stock ics.. Then again, it wasn't one of the more anticipated phones, such as the galaxy nexus..

Peace,
~WickiD~

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
if im not mistaken actually playfulgod has taken up the mantle of fixing up teh current cwm to work for yall. hes hit a few bumps but he knows his stuff.

(PS that builder.clockworkmod.com is a cool concept but wont work for a lot of the devices we work on :/)

wickid_d

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
if im not mistaken actually playfulgod has taken up the mantle of fixing up teh current cwm to work for yall. hes hit a few bumps but he knows his stuff.

(PS that builder.clockworkmod.com is a cool concept but wont work for a lot of the devices we work on :/)

Is it confirmed working though? I saw the thread, and what I saw from feedback wasn't very reassuring. I can't risk not having a way of restoring her phone if I F it up.. Can't afford to pay for LG to fix it, let alone the shipping costs..

Thanks man.

Chazor

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
were working on it my viper just got pushed an update notification but i dont think its a good idea to update just yet :/ witch sucks cus im intrested in what the update acualy does :| "security updates" lmao

n0ve

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Update on this is, still no stable CWM, the ZVD update added ...quickmemo, and some enhanced call quality i believe...as far as being able to unbrick/true factory reset...check my thread i just started, finally found a working method, including system apps and sprint apps.