Old smartphones on internet?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a couple of old cellphones (micro connection) that I would like to use on the internet for games, etc. I prefer to hook the phones up to my router for speed vs my wifi. My question is can I purchase a micro male to RJ45 adapter for each phone and then plug them into my router via patch cables? Of course, the batteries are shot. If my research is correct there is enough power to keep the phones charged through the router's RJ45 jacks. Does anyone have any ideas on whether this will work and if so what else is needed? I know they will surf via wifi but around 450 up and 500 down is about it vs 1 gig up and down straight into the router. Amazon has the micro to RJ45 adapters but 10/100 is all I can find. Which makes it the same speed as the wifi. Can I use a USB-3 to get 10/100/1000 adapt it to micro via an adapter then adapt this adapter to RJ45 and be faster? Or is the speed limited to whatever is going in and out of the micro? I haven't a clue what that may be. Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How old are the phones, and what Android version are they running? If they're really old, there's a good chance they can no longer access the web due to inability to support current security protocols.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
For there to be power through the router's RJ45 ports it needs to support PoE - Power over Ethernet. Can you confirm if it does? Next - the device you're connecting to it needs to also support it, have you found MicroUSB to ethernet adapters that support PoE pass-through to the device they're connected to on the USB side?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a couple of old cellphones (micro connection) that I would like to use on the internet for games, etc.

What exactly are you including in that "etcetera?" I ask because chances are you are way over thinking this. I recently outgrew a 20 Mbps connection, so I upgraded to a 500 Mbps service and new Wi-Fi router (the cable modem itself was already fast enough). The extra high bandwidth is really only good for two things, high definition video and lots of simultaneous users. Even if you stream 4K, the 500 Mbps Wi-Fi is way more than enough bandwidth. I can stream multiple 1080p/4k videos, plus game, and have others doing regular net browsing without any slowdowns, all done over Wi-Fi.

If your router is lacking, it'll be easier to just upgrade that and gain more flexibility compared to being tethered to ethernet cables and converters. Looking at some online, they look to be bulky devices, not useful on a mobile device like a phone. Micro-usb is notorious for having cables go bad, so dangling such a box and ethernet cable from it while it's being swing around as you move your phone is just asking for trouble. Those devices are meant for stationary uses, like with a Raspberry Pi

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
For there to be power through the router's RJ45 ports it needs to support PoE - Power over Ethernet. Can you confirm if it does? Next - the device you're connecting to it needs to also support it, have you found MicroUSB to ethernet adapters that support PoE pass-through to the device they're connected to on the USB side?

That's some of the nope, there's also the fact that even if they support PoE, which they probably won't, and the OP can find a micro USB to GbE adapter, which they probably can't, there is no way in hell that an old phone with a microUSB port will support GbE through it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty