On screen battery drain normal?

RionDunn

Well-known member
Mar 12, 2014
420
0
0
Visit site
Good Evening All!!
I have another question regarding my incredible Nexus 5.
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced on screen battery drain. I have been on my phone for 30-40 minutes with the brightness at 10% and I have noticed the battery has dropped 15%. I know this isn't too too bad but coming from an iPhone I thought it was....different. Also! When I play games, either if its an emulator or say P vs. Z 2 the battery gets destroyed and I mean destroyed, like drops 25% in a matter of 15 minutes or so, depending on what I'm playing. Is this normal for the N5? Other than that I think the battery is okay. Makes me through the day with about 25-30% left when I get home.

Posted via Android Central App
 

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Moderator
Dec 4, 2012
35,342
100
63
Visit site
Good Evening All!!
I have another question regarding my incredible Nexus 5.
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced on screen battery drain. I have been on my phone for 30-40 minutes with the brightness at 10% and I have noticed the battery has dropped 15%. I know this isn't too too bad but coming from an iPhone I thought it was....different. Also! When I play games, either if its an emulator or say P vs. Z 2 the battery gets destroyed and I mean destroyed, like drops 25% in a matter of 15 minutes or so, depending on what I'm playing. Is this normal for the N5? Other than that I think the battery is okay. Makes me through the day with about 25-30% left when I get home.

Posted via Android Central App

Welcome to the forums.
Could you post screenshots of your battery stats and the graph please?
 

RionDunn

Well-known member
Mar 12, 2014
420
0
0
Visit site
Is there a way to post screen shots directly from your phone to the android community app? I can't figure how.

Posted via Android Central App
 

RionDunn

Well-known member
Mar 12, 2014
420
0
0
Visit site
As you can see its been 12 minutes and the battery has dropped 4%. Is this normal? I've just been on the Android Central App. Thanks again!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
 

Attachments

  • 1394978319939.jpg
    1394978319939.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 49

Illustrator Joe

Well-known member
Apr 16, 2012
370
1
0
Visit site
As you can see its been 12 minutes and the battery has dropped 4%. Is this normal? I've just been on the Android Central App. Thanks again!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Seems pretty normal. I wouldn't judge the battery life in just 4%. Use it until it's down below 10% and then post your stats including on screen time and we will see if you have an issue.

ಠ益ಠ
 

Bront

Well-known member
May 21, 2012
260
0
0
Visit site
Keep in mind, that when a phone charges, it doesn't hit 100% and keep it there, it hits 100%, and then lets it drop slowly before it starts charging again. Because it would drive most folks nuts if it didn't hit 100%, most phones smooth the initial drain off of a phone a bit, so it drops down to it's actuall charge over the first hour. (There are articles that may explain this better).

That said, your screen is generally what will eat up your battery, and you can check the screen on-time. I recommend Auto brightness, but 10% should be fine too, but make sure it's actually set to that.

As for PvZ2 killing your battery, does it use a lot of internet connectivity to play? That may be the real drain, particularly if you're using LTE and don't need to be (Wifi or 3G speeds being fine for most non-data intensive apps).
 

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
13,434
210
0
Visit site
There is a lot you can do to try and conserve battery life. Take a look at this battery saving tips thread put together by B. Diddy: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...how-tos/298919-guide-battery-saving-tips.html. The big battery hog is the screen brightness - if possible, set to 50% or less unless you really need the brightness.

Take the time to read through the thread and see where you can fine-tune the device to have better battery.
 

RionDunn

Well-known member
Mar 12, 2014
420
0
0
Visit site
Yea I have covered all this already. Thanks for the tips. The only mystery is the gaming. I've noticed the battery drains quickly when I'm playing PvZ2 and SGNES emulator. I don't mind the battery life overall. I just feel like the gaming is doing something wrong and causing the battery to drop faster than it should. If I was playing a FPS then I would understand, it being a shooter and all, also 3D. But just a simple tower defense game and SNES games? I find that odd.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
 

RionDunn

Well-known member
Mar 12, 2014
420
0
0
Visit site
There is a lot you can do to try and conserve battery life. Take a look at this battery saving tips thread put together by B. Diddy: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...how-tos/298919-guide-battery-saving-tips.html. The big battery hog is the screen brightness - if possible, set to 50% or less unless you really need the brightness.

Take the time to read through the thread and see where you can fine-tune the device to have better battery.

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look at it and run through all the stuff I haven't done yet!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
 

RionDunn

Well-known member
Mar 12, 2014
420
0
0
Visit site
Also, I was wondering what you guys thought of Battery Doctor. I usually hit the widget I have placed on my home screen to kill off any apps. According to B.Diddy's tip thread it may cause the device to use more battery power? I don't know what to do now. Should I get rid of the app and just let my phone run?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
 

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Moderator
Mar 9, 2012
164,987
4,026
113
Visit site
In your original post, the numbers you mention suggest a total screen on time of 3-4 hours on one full charge, which is normal for the N5.

And yes, manually closing apps repeatedly can lead to some increased battery drain, since many of those apps may restart on their own. You shouldn't have to manually close apps unless they're malfunctioning.

Posted via Android Central App
 

RionDunn

Well-known member
Mar 12, 2014
420
0
0
Visit site
In your original post, the numbers you mention suggest a total screen on time of 3-4 hours on one full charge, which is normal for the N5.

And yes, manually closing apps repeatedly can lead to some increased battery drain, since many of those apps may restart on their own. You shouldn't have to manually close apps unless they're malfunctioning.

Posted via Android Central App

So then technically I don't need the battery doctor app?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
 

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Moderator
Mar 9, 2012
164,987
4,026
113
Visit site
Personally, I don't recommend it. Just use the phone and get familiar with its general battery life, knowing that you should get 3-4 hrs of screen-on time with a single charge. If you follow the tips in my battery guide that was linked above, you should have pretty good idle time as well. If the battery is draining quickly while idle, that's where apps like Battery Doctor or GSam Battery Monitor can help troubleshoot.
 

RionDunn

Well-known member
Mar 12, 2014
420
0
0
Visit site
Is battery doctor an Task/App Killer? I just finished reading the article regarding RAM and its making me think now. That make sense, completely. However, if battery doctor is unnecessary on a daily basis then I should probably get rid of it. I literally push the refresh button on it so many times a day.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
 

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Moderator
Mar 9, 2012
164,987
4,026
113
Visit site
It has a bunch of different features, including task killing and battery monitoring. It's not a bad app in itself, but unless a device is having issues, it's probably not necessary. And you're right, the very presence of that app will probably make you check it more and continue fiddling with it!
 

RionDunn

Well-known member
Mar 12, 2014
420
0
0
Visit site
K cool. I just uninstalled the app, it was always running as well and chewing up battery life. I've watched it happen. Also, battery doctor recommended an app for cache processes called Clean Master. I should probably get rid of this as well right?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
 

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Moderator
Mar 9, 2012
164,987
4,026
113
Visit site
Yeah, just get rid of it for now. Let us know if you have more battery problems.

Posted via Android Central App
 

RionDunn

Well-known member
Mar 12, 2014
420
0
0
Visit site
Alrighty. So this app does the same thing as if I went into my system settings and deleted the cache process my self right?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
 

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Moderator
Mar 9, 2012
164,987
4,026
113
Visit site
Alrighty. So this app does the same thing as if I went into my system settings and deleted the cache process my self right?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

According to the app description, it can clear app caches, call records, and various search histories--all things, as you mention, that you can do from the Settings menu or from within those apps themselves. So it's more of a convenience.
 

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
941,523
Messages
6,909,238
Members
3,157,951
Latest member
debbiewoodphillips