One month in, heres my review!

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
So I've had the phone a month and feel settled with it so here's my view...

Build quality, so mine has a few hiccups, the gaps and ridges people have been posting about. I'll take it back sometime. Still through this it still feels premium and solid, now I'm used to it I'd be hard pushed to 'downgrade' from the feel of this phone for any feature on other android devices. I don't use a case or screen protector (the screen protector seems to make the buttons below screen unresponsive at times)

Speakers, I would never want to go back to anything less after these, use them all the time, mainly videos with friends. I will say that it would be nice to have them capable of being quieter when on lowest setting, can't play a game with sound with out annoying my missis!

Camera, so the pics aren't as clear as some phones apparently but best I've had, and I only ever upload to fb or keep on phone. If having more megapixels means I'd lose Zoes then I'm happy as it is, I've got some great pics of my boy I'd never have without Zoes.
View attachment 65442
Bit annoying that it uploads the whole 20 zoe pics to Dropbox, it's getting a bit cluttered!
Front camera is great for video calling when I'm at work for the night, I call my boy, love the wide angle, my missis has the htc one too and I can see them both in shot well. Not recorded any videos yet (except in zoes! )

Blinkfeed, now I started by disabling blinkfeed now I use it more than anything, quick easy and there. Still wish for rss feeds but I find the available local news and tech sites do a good enough job for now. It's pretty and fast but then again all of the sense 5 experience is.

I use the stock browser, full of the usual settings. Syncs (add or access) all my chrome book marks, find in page, flash player, full screen mode, auto fill, Web page preloader, quick controls and loads more. The page zoom is very good quick, fluid and auto fills txt to whatever zoom level chosen, makes all Web pages easy to read. Also has a article view which works but the zoom feature works so well I don't find myself using it anymore.
In fact I use all the stock apps, calender, SMS, alarms, email etc, wont go into them all they work well not needed to use any others! I do use swiftkey, the stock keyboard is really good but the Autocorrect isn't up to swiftkeys.

uploadfromtaptalk1366320928504.jpg
Battery, usually lasts the day for me, unless running high powered games, sort of expect it to run down quickly! When reading articles or browsing, which is my main smart phone use, it fine for the whole day with times of heavy usage. Better than my old iphone 4 or lumia 800. Charging is really slow, not a big problem but still an issue at times, for example it won't take a quick enough charge whilst playing hd videos via hdmi lead so my phone slowly dies whilst I'm watching the film.

TV app, ok so doesn't replace my remote (it could) as I need to stop what I'm doing and open it or select the remote I need as I use this at work and in different rooms (would be awesome if nfc could open app in background and select remote along with other settings when I sit next to telly) but it does work well and you can remap new buttons by learning from your old remote. Useful when you can't find your remote or need to control a tv without one.

Signal, well this phone is a step better than my last phones (see ubove) for cellular signal and alot better for Wifi, a good 10 foot more range (although when holding the phone in landscape the signal weakens with my hand over the camera lens area, a bit annoying when playing online games near the edge of a Wifi area.

Gotta put this in here - I love the screen, LCD is defo for me, this one is ubove the rest the whites, blacks, viewing angles, clarity and the 16:9 aspect ratio.... Just got it right really.

General performance, really good every thing works fast and fluid. No lag ever, not had to do a hard reset ever. As you would expect runs any game from play Store with no lag (no I haven't tried them all but tried shadowlands, asphalt 7, real racing, 6 guns and gta vice city to name a few) yes it runs quite hot sometimes, never had anything near this chip wise to compare to other high end phones, doesn't really bother me though.

So yea i still really love it as it shows, these are my opinions have a go and make your own.

P. S. Sorry if it's a bit disjointed or missing bits, wrote this on my phone in this crappy app.... Also I don't ever write reviews. I'll be happy to answer any other questions though :-D

sent from my awesome HTC One B-)

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the honest review Russ. Question about the email app. Are HTML emails formatted to fill the screen? Or do you have to zoom in and out to see the entire email?

Erik Pendleton

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Wondering about the TV remote ap. Last night I tried to set up my TV. It did ok for on and off, volume. But the tv is pretty old and has 4 different buttons to choose the input (dvd/cable/antenna/aux). The template for the remote didn't have these options. Is there a way to create your own remote template?

Erik Pendleton

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Oh, and good insight on the camera. Zoe is really made possible by the 4mp sensor. Maybe someday phones will be able to swing 13mp as quickly, but I am not sure I would want to deal with all the large files.

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the honest review Russ. Question about the email app. Are HTML emails formatted to fill the screen? Or do you have to zoom in and out to see the entire email?

Seems to show about full width in landscape and need to scroll around in portrait. The text in email fits to screen in whatever zoom you choose like the browser.

Wondering about the TV remote ap. Last night I tried to set up my TV. It did ok for on and off, volume. But the tv is pretty old and has 4 different buttons to choose the input (dvd/cable/antenna/aux). The template for the remote didn't have these options. Is there a way to create your own remote template?

Can't add a button, but I reprogrammed one of the other buttons as my av button.

Edit: just read your post properly, If you don't use the channel numbers on TV (I dont) you could make some of the numbers the 4 different av buttons?

mysidx

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Nicely done. I agree with most of what you said and Ive only had mine for a day. The speakers are loud, and come in handy when the radio is on in the car and you don't want to have it on vibrate. I think the UI is sharp and classy. I do get a little annoyed when moving apps around or trying to rearrange home panels because of how it is setup. Was easier on sense 4. The sms,mail app, and phone directory look nice. I wouldn't use anything else. The Tv app is great, yet I need to put more time into it. I'm always misplacing my remote, plus I like how you can set timers for when shows are coming on even if you're not at home. Camera and video has been fine for what I will be using it for. Haven't spent enough time with the Zoes yet. Maybe it'd just me, but it seems the app icons that come on the phone are smaller in size than ones I've downloaded, so it looks a little off. I wish you could make them all one size. I haven't had any issues with how the phone feels in my hand, but id have to have some sort of a case for grip, as this puppy is smooth and slippery. Phone feels thinner than it actually is. Over all it is the perfect size for a phone.

Oh, I haven't tried the ear buds yet.

From my newly opened HTC One

henryfool3

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
hey, been wondering if the calendar alarms work well. snooze and such. i had problems with my evos, always had to install something else for the snooze. hoping to pick this phone up next week.

thanks.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Could you post some camera samples and maybe a video with and without her mode enabled? I played with one at the at&t store and absolutely loved it, I would just like to see some camera samples from someone other than a website

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
hey, been wondering if the calendar alarms work well. snooze and such. i had problems with my evos, always had to install something else for the snooze. hoping to pick this phone up next week.

thanks.

No proper snooze, a notification in notification centre when reminders set for then when the event is opened there's a 'snooze' option but that just takes you to the edit screen to select a new date/time for next reminder/notification

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Thx Russ. I'm about to jump on One in another day or so. Again, keep up the great work. You are the best.

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Could you post some camera samples and maybe a video with and without her mode enabled? I played with one at the at&t store and absolutely loved it, I would just like to see some camera samples from someone other than a website

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Can't upload videos on phone, bad signal atm here - check out the user pics sticky thread :)

indomie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Can't upload videos on phone, bad signal atm here - check out the user pics sticky thread :)

Great review, Russ! In case I haven't said it before, if you ever make it over to the East Coast (Philadelphia area), I will gladly buy you a round or two. :)

Mine should be arriving any minute now... looking forward to experiencing it for myself. Question for you - I know you have elected to go coverless with the phone. I plan to do the same thing. I do have a pouch on order which I may use if it's not too big & bulky as semi-protection. Do you notice a lot of dust & pocket debris clogging up the speaker holes? I imagine that's kind of inevitable, but what have you seen after a month of daily use?

Newtoandroid99

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Silly Question, but on the stock email app does it allow you to receive text links in email?

I had a problem with the X last year and it would not allow text links from Hotmail. They would just be plain text.

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Silly Question, but on the stock email app does it allow you to receive text links in email?

I had a problem with the X last year and it would not allow text links from Hotmail. They would just be plain text.
Yea links work :)

Great review, Russ! In case I haven't said it before, if you ever make it over to the East Coast (Philadelphia area), I will gladly buy you a round or two. :)

Mine should be arriving any minute now... looking forward to experiencing it for myself. Question for you - I know you have elected to go coverless with the phone. I plan to do the same thing. I do have a pouch on order which I may use if it's not too big & bulky as semi-protection. Do you notice a lot of dust & pocket debris clogging up the speaker holes? I imagine that's kind of inevitable, but what have you seen after a month of daily use?
Thanks alot, and I'm east coast, but in England so chances of a beer is low :D
No, nothing in speaker holes. Didn't consider that tbh, but just had a really good look and nothing!