One V Water Damage

igo222

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
So I had a can of pepsi and my phone in a bag. The can somehow opened in the bag and spilled on my phone. A few problems resulted. Any solutions would be helpful.

1) some moisture on the screen behind the glass.

2)volume up / down button not working

3)power button not working (if I hold it it takes a screen shot)

4)sd card slot not working / not recognizing sd cards.

Not sure if this is just too many little problems to use on a daily basis. Hopefully we can work out a few of the problems.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Oh, man, sugary liquids are worse than about anything other than salt water. Unless you're equipped to take the phone apart and clean individual components, it may be a lost cause.

My suggestion depends on how close you are to giving up on the phone. If you can deal with the issues, and aren't willing to take the risk of making it worse, ignore the following. But if you're ready to toss the phone and replace it if you can't fix the problems, this may be worth a try. If you're capable of taking the phone apart, you might want to remove the screen assembly.

Remove the battery, SD card, and SIM if it has one. Put the phone in a bowl or dish of DISTILLED water. Do not use tap water. I'd start off with a short soak, maybe only a few minutes. Then shake out as much water as you can, and put the phone in a sealed container full of dry rice, or those silicon moisture absorbing packets if you can find a LOT of them. Leave the phone there for at least 24 hours. While it's drying, clean the contacts on the SD card and SIM card (if any) with a soft cloth moistened with alcohol.

If this doesn't work, go for broke. Soak it for a few hours, then put it in fresh, dry rice for several days. The idea is to dissolve the sticky, sugary Pepsi into the water, hope it doesn't kill the phone completely, then dry it without the sticky sugar in all the innards.

Good luck.