One week in for this N7 user. Grown on me, but still not sold on it just yet

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
It's been a week today, the first day I had a really hard time making myself switch the sim over from my Note 7 and make it my daily driver for the week. There were a handful of things I had to get used to, or rather tell myself I would. With the battery crippling updates hitting US users and the possibility of who knows what else for the hardcore holdouts, I definitely need to decide by next Sunday!

Things I really like-
Screen size. Having another 5.7" flat screened phone makes me realize how nice the extra size can be at the right times.
Audio is pretty good, the first night I didn't see tons of difference. But after just a couple days of lots of music via headphones and Bluetooth, it is admittedly better than my N7.
Fingerprint scanner is blazingly accurate and fast. I thought my N7 was good, this is much better. And I love that I don't have to press on it, just place my finger on it and voila. Unlocked. Do like the iris scanner on the N7, being a grease monkey and having gloves on while working on my toys it's really convenient being able to just stare at my phone and have it unlock and use it without taking my gloves off.
Camera is pretty good, I took both phones with me yesterday when I went woods riding and used both to take comparative pictures. I'm so used to the warmth of the Samsung cameras that I had to get used to the cooler look of the V20 on auto mode. I haven't played with manual settings too much, they do seem to be more effective at what they do than the Pro settings for the Note. Going back and looking at some of the pictures I took yesterday, I'm really happy with the color reproduction and coolness factor of this camera/software.
Second screen is nifty, something I could do without but its cool. I like that rather than shutting it off completely, if I don't want to see anything up there I just swipe to the signature screen and have nothing there. LOVE that notifications appear in it vs even a small banner on the main screen while unlocked.
Charges really fast, and the battery is great. But also sucks at the same time???? Sometimes the device stays warm and drains super quick even while everything is closed/idle and then there's times it lasts an insanely long time while in use or at idle/doze.
Knock on/off. Already do find myself doing this with my Note and even iPad.

Things I'm still trying to come around to-
On screen capacitive buttons. Legitimately do not know yet if this is something I can get used to. They're an annoyance while typing and I'm always hitting them, so I hid them in my most used apps. But I also don't exactly like having to swipe up to get to them in said apps too. Have to pick my poison on this one I guess.
Camera could be better in low light, but it's by no means bad in low light either. Manual mode makes quick work of this when you have the extra fee seconds before snapping a pic.
The overall physical size. It's not much bigger than my N7, and overall the size isn't an issue, just having to get used to it.
Slowly getting used to the display. Like it, don't love it yet.
Love having the S pen. Never used it much on my 4, but plenty on the 7 for some reason. Not a deal breaker, but with all this phone has and the amount of physical real estate it has you'd think they could fit something in it.

I know there's plenty more things I do like and am still warming up to, overall it's a great phone. Nougat is awesome, and the phone itself seems stupidly fast at times. I've never had a device down load apps so fast over both WiFi or LTE. Device at times lags or even stops got a brief second or two, never had a device that hasn't done this honestly.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Can't argue with anything there. If you haven't already, I suggest playing around with the home touch button options. After adding a couple extras and changing the order to fit my use better, I'd never want to go back to physical buttons.

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes the device stays warm and drains super quick even while everything is closed/idle and then there's times it lasts an insanely long time while in use or at idle/doze.

I notice the exact same thing. Not sure if it has some process that runs occasionally but the phone gets very warm and can lose 15% in an hour with no use. I can't find any particular culprit in the battery use list. Anyway most times I've found the battery life to be very good.

Coming from a note 7 myself, I've had struggles very similar to yours. I think the hardest thing for me was the screen. Just seemed so much dimmer and washed out initially. However after a week I've adjusted it a little and find that I'm getting used to it and don't really mind it.

Being a huge fan of physical buttons, I thought that would be my biggest compromise. I've found the on screen buttons don't bother me as much as I thought they would. Not saying I like them better (never) but it's not a huge deal.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I did see that I can choose what buttons I want and where I want them, and it seemed like a good idea. But then the "that just means there's even more buttons for me to hit" thought hit and I've left them as they came since I fired up the phone.

Maybe if I hadn't dove into the V20 thinking they'd be an issue they wouldn't have been as much of one, lol

traviswhayne

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
One thing I did as I waiting to move from my S7 Edge to the V20 was put my S7 Edge in Basic mode for screen color. Then when I moved to the V10 and put it on Comfort View Low and they were practically the same. Of course I went from a V10 to the Note7 to the S7 Edge to now the V20... Your mileage may vary.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
It's been a week today, the first day I had a really hard time making myself switch the sim over from my Note 7 and make it my daily driver for the week. There were a handful of things I had to get used to, or rather tell myself I would. With the battery crippling updates hitting US users and the possibility of who knows what else for the hardcore holdouts, I definitely need to decide by next Sunday!

Things I really like-
Screen size. Having another 5.7" flat screened phone makes me realize how nice the extra size can be at the right times.
Audio is pretty good, the first night I didn't see tons of difference. But after just a couple days of lots of music via headphones and Bluetooth, it is admittedly better than my N7.
Fingerprint scanner is blazingly accurate and fast. I thought my N7 was good, this is much better. And I love that I don't have to press on it, just place my finger on it and voila. Unlocked. Do like the iris scanner on the N7, being a grease monkey and having gloves on while working on my toys it's really convenient being able to just stare at my phone and have it unlock and use it without taking my gloves off.
Camera is pretty good, I took both phones with me yesterday when I went woods riding and used both to take comparative pictures. I'm so used to the warmth of the Samsung cameras that I had to get used to the cooler look of the V20 on auto mode. I haven't played with manual settings too much, they do seem to be more effective at what they do than the Pro settings for the Note. Going back and looking at some of the pictures I took yesterday, I'm really happy with the color reproduction and coolness factor of this camera/software.
Second screen is nifty, something I could do without but its cool. I like that rather than shutting it off completely, if I don't want to see anything up there I just swipe to the signature screen and have nothing there. LOVE that notifications appear in it vs even a small banner on the main screen while unlocked.
Charges really fast, and the battery is great. But also sucks at the same time???? Sometimes the device stays warm and drains super quick even while everything is closed/idle and then there's times it lasts an insanely long time while in use or at idle/doze.
Knock on/off. Already do find myself doing this with my Note and even iPad.

Things I'm still trying to come around to-
On screen capacitive buttons. Legitimately do not know yet if this is something I can get used to. They're an annoyance while typing and I'm always hitting them, so I hid them in my most used apps. But I also don't exactly like having to swipe up to get to them in said apps too. Have to pick my poison on this one I guess.
Camera could be better in low light, but it's by no means bad in low light either. Manual mode makes quick work of this when you have the extra fee seconds before snapping a pic.
The overall physical size. It's not much bigger than my N7, and overall the size isn't an issue, just having to get used to it.
Slowly getting used to the display. Like it, don't love it yet.
Love having the S pen. Never used it much on my 4, but plenty on the 7 for some reason. Not a deal breaker, but with all this phone has and the amount of physical real estate it has you'd think they could fit something in it.

I know there's plenty more things I do like and am still warming up to, overall it's a great phone. Nougat is awesome, and the phone itself seems stupidly fast at times. I've never had a device down load apps so fast over both WiFi or LTE. Device at times lags or even stops got a brief second or two, never had a device that hasn't done this honestly.

Thanks for your thoughts on the v20. I decided to go with the iPhone 7 plus for the first time since the note7 battery issues cause I thought hey I'll try something different. Well since I'm so used to Samsung, Motorola and lg phone(mostly Samsung and Motorola) I can't seem to keep interest in the iPhone 7 plus. People at work wonder why I only lose 4 to 5% of battery after a 9 hour shift. I said for one thing I'm at work, second I only text and maybe check facebook, twitter, some emails maybe a game or 2 on breaks. And finally I'm just not and iPhone person it is boring to me. Don't get me wrong it is good phone but I'm used to having phones that I could play with all day lol. But anyways I'm thinking of trying the v20 out cause I think that might be the best alternative for the note7 for me. I'll just give my iPhone to my fiancé since he wants it lol. Thanks again

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts on the v20. I decided to go with the iPhone 7 plus for the first time since the note7 battery issues cause I thought hey I'll try something different. Well since I'm so used to Samsung, Motorola and lg phone(mostly Samsung and Motorola) I can't seem to keep interest in the iPhone 7 plus. People at work wonder why I only lose 4 to 5% of battery after a 9 hour shift. I said for one thing I'm at work, second I only text and maybe check facebook, twitter, some emails maybe a game or 2 on breaks. And finally I'm just not and iPhone person it is boring to me. Don't get me wrong it is good phone but I'm used to having phones that I could play with all day lol. But anyways I'm thinking of trying the v20 out cause I think that might be the best alternative for the note7 for me. I'll just give my iPhone to my fiancé since he wants it lol. Thanks again

I haven't owned the iPhone 7p but prior to my note 7 I had a 6 plus for well over a year. I will say that it's an adjustment go to the v20 but I adapted just fine. I'd say it was a bigger jump going from the Note 7 and S7edge due to the AMOLED screen. The v20 is much cooler with regard to the calibration but closer to the Apple display than the vibrant Samsung.

I do like the v20 and have no problem keeping it as my primary device. At least until the note 8 comes out... ☺️

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I haven't owned the iPhone 7p but prior to my note 7 I had a 6 plus for well over a year. I will say that it's an adjustment go to the v20 but I adapted just fine. I'd say it was a bigger jump going from the Note 7 and S7edge due to the AMOLED screen. The v20 is much cooler with regard to the calibration but closer to the Apple display than the vibrant Samsung.

I do like the v20 and have no problem keeping it as my primary device. At least until the note 8 comes out... ☺️

Heard that lol😁 can't wait to get mine.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I am really fond of the V10 and V20 so far. I love the build quality, the performance, the build quality, the displays, the build quality, the clean sound, the build quality, the cameras, and the V20's battery life (the V10, not so much).

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I am really fond of the V10 and V20 so far. I love the build quality, the performance, the build quality, the displays, the build quality, the clean sound, the build quality, the cameras, and the V20's battery life (the V10, not so much).
Please do tell us ummmmmm ......... how do you feel about the V20 build quality ???

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae