One year has passed since the Galaxy Nexus release.

mij9895

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
i've heard anecdotes of throttling for going over 2GB/month. but i never heard of phone numbers being blacklisted. sounds like a misunderstanding to me.

No, it's not a misunderstanding, they admitted to it, said they corrected it, and later the same day, started doing it again. And yes, my friend who left and went to T-Mobile was data throttled 3 times, and had to fight with them to get them to allow data again the next month of service he bought. You are better off on T-Mobile than Straight Talk.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
No, it's not a misunderstanding, they admitted to it, said they corrected it, and later the same day, started doing it again. And yes, my friend who left and went to T-Mobile was data throttled 3 times, and had to fight with them to get them to allow data again the next month of service he bought. You are better off on T-Mobile than Straight Talk.

why was the number allegedly blacklisted?

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
had mine since launch. except for the 1 replacement unit 1 had, since my launch day gnex decided to start frying batteries left and right. other than that its been a great phone, completly stock, no real problems besides the sub standard batt life. I hope the next nexus is Sprint friendly, i'm def not going to t mobile for a nexus.

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I got my GNex with less than a year to go before my contract replacement comes up. I normally replace phones every 2 years, but I was so disappointed with my Motorola I couldn't hold out. Hardware-wise the GNex is about 85% of a Galaxy S3 for about half the cost. The GNex immediately fixed the biggest Motorola failures - Android updates and screen space. I gave up screen space for a keyboard, but the keyboard was a POS that became unreliable after 3 months. Motorola's promise of supporting their phones with Android updates for 18 months was a cruel joke that stranded me in a gingerbread ghetto.

I'm very happy with my GNex - custom roms, lots of accessories and a solid, reliable phone (random reboots on the Moto about once a day). Battery life could be improved, but I'm so much happier having a phone I can use to do what I want that's a minor sacrifice. I'll NEVER buy a Moto phone again. Five months to go until my contract renewal - a great time to shop for the Christmas releases - LG's Nexus 5, Samsung's Tizen phone, Blackberry's phablet and the Note 3. I'm only worried about how many of those choices will come to Sprint.

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Contract ends in October but I doubt I will get another phone at that time.

I'm curious why you're planning on holding out. It would be nice if Sprint would just lower their bill by $15/mo. if you weren't using their subsidy but they won't. You're still paying about $15/mo. on contract whether you use the subsidy or not. Not staying with Sprint? Not hearing about phones in the pipeline that sound interesting? Wife payments too high?

tommyjoesanders

May 2, 2012
Visit site
It has been a year now. And Sprint quit selling the device on there website for some reason. I do have too agree this phone is about close as SG3 as it can get. I just wonder if there another Nexus coming too sprint that will replace GNEX we own now?

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Still have mine. Not planning to change any time soon. It's a great phone that does everything I need it to do.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

walt27

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Upgrading my nexus to the one it will arrived today

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

almath

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Well had to get the Note 2 on launch day! Battery life and always getting very hot was a problem on my GNex. I'm a hardcore cellphone user and it was not up for the challenge. Love my Note 2 though!

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious why you're planning on holding out. It would be nice if Sprint would just lower their bill by $15/mo. if you weren't using their subsidy but they won't. You're still paying about $15/mo. on contract whether you use the subsidy or not. Not staying with Sprint? Not hearing about phones in the pipeline that sound interesting? Wife payments too high?

Well, I would always love to have the next best thing but unfortunately that's not always in the cards (read: wallet). There's really nothing wrong with my GNex and even though it seems that Sprint won't give us 4.2.2, I have it via Sourcery so I'm still using the latest Android version. Sure there are some nice new features that I could get with a new device such as an S4 but is it really worth all the extra cash?

I've been a sprint customer for better than a decade, went from Sprint to Nextel, back to Sprint and really have never had any complaints. 3G service is about par with the others, eventually we'll get 4G but where I live, no one really has good 4G yet. Love having the unlimited data since my wife & I both tether and I love the TEP repair services. I have probably had a device repaired/replaced at least a dozen times and I've NEVER paid a deductible. Tell me what other carrier does that!

Oh, and I agree, lowering the bill if we are no longer subsidized would be awesome but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Stay away from Straight Talk. They blacklisted my number so my friend can only call me maybe twice per day. In June when AT&T revamps their prepaid smartphone offerings, I'm getting them back on AT&T. Another friend of mine left Straight Talk for T-Mobile recently.

these new plans coming from AT&T look pretty good. i think i'm willing to pay $5 more a month to be able to go direct with AT&T ($50/month AT&T vs. $45/month Straight Talk). 2GB/month is perfect for me. combined with a new Nexus "5" direct from the Play Store and i should be good to go!

AT&T to launch ?All In One? prepaid plan June 15, 2013
$35 tier for feature phones: unlimited talk, text and an unspecified data
$50 for smartphones: unlimited talk, text and two gigabytes of HSPA data
$70 smartphone plan: unlimited talk, text and five gigabytes of data

AT&T planning June launch of 'All In One' prepaid brand - FierceWireless

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Picked one up in January after my gf fell in love with my GS3. Tried to root my first one, and completely messed up the phone. Found another on CL and haven't looked any another phone since. It does everything I need to, and I can operate it with one hand. I would like to try rooting again, but after messing up once, I'm a bit hesitant to give it another go.

What did you do with the bricked gnex?

Posted via Android Central App

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, I would always love to have the next best thing but unfortunately that's not always in the cards (read: wallet). There's really nothing wrong with my GNex and even though it seems that Sprint won't give us 4.2, I have it via Sourcery so I'm still using the latest Android version.
You mean 4.2.2. We have 4.2.1 but really need .2 to fix a lot of the issues. I got my GNex in September and immediately bought a 3500 mhz extended Hyperion battery. It's amazing. I can go most of the day without a charge. Used to be about a 36 hrs until I installed the 4.2.1 update. Now my system has tons of wakelocks that are killing the battery. Other than that, no issues with the phone. Not rooted and use Apex launcher.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
You mean 4.2.2. We have 4.2.1 but really need .2 to fix a lot of the issues. I got my GNex in September and immediately bought a 3500 mhz extended Hyperion battery. It's amazing. I can go most of the day without a charge. Used to be about a 36 hrs until I installed the 4.2.1 update. Now my system has tons of wakelocks that are killing the battery. Other than that, no issues with the phone. Not rooted and use Apex launcher.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Yes, you're right, I forgot a .2
I still get an unacceptable amount of reboots though, even though I have 4.2.2. Not nearly as bad as when I was stock but still a few a week, sometimes a couple a day. Seems to be related to signal loss but I'm not 100% sure.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you're right, I forgot a .2
I still get an unacceptable amount of reboots though, even though I have 4.2.2. Not nearly as bad as when I was stock but still a few a week, sometimes a couple a day. Seems to be related to signal loss but I'm not 100% sure.
which custom ROM do you have for 4.2.2? I have just rooted and need to install one.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia