Oneplus 5T vs Pixel 2 XL

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the input everyone, I think I'll convince my wife, who is coming to android from iPhone, to get the pixel 2 xl and see how it is. I still am unsure of which one to get due to exclusive features of both phones. I'd love to switch to the pixel but I know I would miss the dash charge and alert slider and I just don't know if it's worth the switch

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
For the record, the battery on the 5T last longer than the Pixel 2XL based on several usage tests I've seen on YouTube. This is probably due to the lower screen resolution and maybe even better efficiency with its OS?

That's great! I was quoting what GSM Arena had for both phones as far as their endurance ratings were concerned. I've heard great things about the 5T's battery life - that was one of the things that intrigued me when I had been thinking about buying it. :)

markconroy

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I can't talk knowledgeably about the OnePlus, but have to fully recommend the Pixel 2 XL. I have not had a problem of any sort with it. Performance is superb. Despite press I'm more than happy with screen, sound has been great, and battery life is so far ahead of any other device I have had that it is a different world. After years of problems because of my heavy usage all day, this staggers me with the life it gives.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input everyone, I think I'll convince my wife, who is coming to android from iPhone, to get the pixel 2 xl and see how it is. I still am unsure of which one to get due to exclusive features of both phones. I'd love to switch to the pixel but I know I would miss the dash charge and alert slider and I just don't know if it's worth the switch

That sounds like a great plan! You could always grab a 5T for yourself - OnePlus has a great return policy; so if your wife gets the 2XL and you grab the 5T around the same time, you can essentially try both and see what you like best!

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
OnePlus 5T all day. The high price tag of the pixel isn't justified in comparison to the 5T, not even when the camera is considered.

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Well due to a new financial problem, it will be the 5t for me. Wife likes the look of the galaxy s8+ better than the pixel 2 xl so I won't ever get to try it out besides a demo device at a nearby best buy. Guess I'll just wait for the 3

newcollector

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well due to a new financial problem, it will be the 5t for me. Wife likes the look of the galaxy s8+ better than the pixel 2 xl so I won't ever get to try it out besides a demo device at a nearby best buy. Guess I'll just wait for the 3
You may feel like you are having to "settle" for the 5T, but you may find that it is the diamond you never expected to find.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Hope you end up enjoying your 5T! It truly is a good phone.

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
While I do agree with you that the 5T is an awesome package and a sweet deal (truly a "flagship killer"), the Pixel 2 line is a bit more expensive also because of things like water and dust resistance; the squeeze to launch Google Assistant; the camera as you've said; and then you have first access to software updates. It also has things that give it a bit of an edge, like the ability to use either AOD or LED notifications. And the 2 XL does have that hefty 3520 mAh battery. GSM Arena gives it an 88 hour rating; whereas the 5T is at 82 hours (still really good!).

You do get a lot for that $300+ difference. Whether or not it is a justifiable price difference is certainly up to the person deciding whether or not to buy the phone. Three hundred dollars is certainly a lot, so it's more than understandable if some people would skip it. I'm personally getting the smaller Pixel 2, and one of the reasons is because I'd be saving some cash by doing so.

Don't get me wrong - I was about to grab a OnePlus 5T a few weeks ago. It's a great phone and I know I would've been happy with it. It's just that there are definitely some things that will set the Pixel 2 line (and specifically, the Pixel 2 XL) apart from the OnePlus 5T. And of course, the 5T has things that the Pixel 2 XL doesn't; such as the alert slider (super cool), double tap to unlock, and other cool stuff. It's all about what features are must-haves for the individual user. :)

The pixel 2xl has double tap to unlock.

newcollector

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Double tap to unlock? Then can anyone double tap the phone and unlock it? If that is the case, not too good for security. Around my work, that is asking for all kinds of trouble.

That sounds even worse than being able to access an iPhone 's cameras while it is locked. Now tap to wake up is okay, but not to unlock.

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site

I wouldn't say unlock (although I know I did). That was too fast of a response. Double tap to view the time then double tap again to view notifications. If you don't have a lock on it you can then swipe while the screen is lit to unlock.

Knightmayre90

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I had this very dilemma back in January and went with the 2XL. while I'm not disappointed with it, far from it, I still look at the 5T and think did I make the right decision. there's a soft spot for OnePlus that is there because they have brought amazing phones to the market for so much less money. there's a reason while people still hang onto the OnePlus 3, they love it. I've convinced myself that I'm selling the pixel as soon as the 6 is revealed. as long as tests confirm what I'm sure will be an amazing phone. I run Nova on all my phones so the user experience on this one was pretty much the same as my S7 so to be honest, apart from the camera which is very impressive, I could be using any phone.